Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low will you go?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

i defy any woman to resist the man who wears those pimp-ass shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The whole Pimp outfit (suit,bling, etc...) would work. No woman will ever turn you down for being short when you're dressed like a pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Damn straight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Would you also find skinny, unfit or non-muscular men unattractive on the same basis?

Absolutely....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'm 183cm so it's nothing to do with smaller guys being biased.

What's that in real money?

I prefer taller men just because I do. Thats it. No deep hatred of anything, no daddy complex, no nothing. I'm just more physically attracted to them. Simple as. And I dont dislike smaller men either. A preferance does not imply shallowness. I wouldnt be attracted physically to a fat bloke either even though he could be the nicest fella in the world.

Are we not allowed have taste in men anymore without it 'meaning' something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

The height thing with women bothers me (I'm 5'10, average height). It's not so much that women discriminate based on height (people judge your attractiveness by your physical attributes?!? No way, GTFO!), it's that women see no problem expressing this preference.

It is deemed perfectly acceptable for a woman to state straight out, in front of both men and women, that they don't go for shorter men, they want the tall guy, the protector figure. If I was to say in front of a group of women that I couldn't go out with a woman with small breasts, that I had to go out with a woman with a big pair of melons because it makes me think that she's fecund, or good for nursing (or something equally moronic), I'd be branded a superficial idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

newestUser wrote: »
    [Generalise]It's not so much that women discriminate based on height (people judge your attractiveness by your physical attributes?!? No way, GTFO!) [/Generalise]

fathertedcarefulnowrn4.jpg
    If I was to say in front of a group of women that I couldn't go out with a woman with small breasts, that I had to go out with a woman with a big pair of melons ... I'd be branded a superficial idiot.

Probably worse, but I agree in theory.

Just put down the pot of tar and that brush there laddie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Had a big long piece about female (as a gender, put down the pitchforks those who're reaching for them!!) hypocrisy but it'd just drag this OT, so anyway, point is don't expect the hypocrisy (whether it be from females/males, Irish/non-nationals, etc...) to disappear any time soon since it's far too easy to hide behind the whole political correctness, feminism, and all the other supposed equalising movements when it suits, and conveniently forget about such notions when it doesn't, instead just applaud that folks have been honest in this thread.:)

farohar wrote: »
    Had a big long piece about female (as a gender, put down the pitchforks those who're reaching for them!!) hypocrisy but it'd just drag this OT, so anyway, point is don't expect the hypocrisy (whether it be from females/males, Irish/non-nationals, etc...) to disappear any time soon since it's far too easy to hide behind the whole political correctness, feminism, and all the other supposed equalising movements when it suits, and conveniently forget about such notions when it doesn't, instead just applaud that folks have been honest in this thread.:)

You're feeling very philosophical this evening :p

I kinda geddit, but its impossible to get everyone to see one anothers points. Life experiences influence choices a lot. Annnd, then there is just the plain stupid :)

Run Forest, Run!!

/Sprints off into the distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Abigayle wrote: »
    Just put down the pot of tar and that brush there laddie ;)

Woah with the condescending put-downs there girlie ;)

I didn't mean to imply that *all* women discriminate based on height. I *really* should have used the words 'some women'. I don't think all women discriminate based on height.

<edit> I still don't see how the latter scenario I described in my previous post is worse than the former. In both cases, someone is expressing attraction to someone else based on physical attributes that accentuate their suitability for the traditional roles assigned to their gender. Potato, potatoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

And if a short guy gets offended by this, no worries - I'm not the kind of girl you'd want to date anyway ;)

:mad:

Peared wrote: »
    What's that in real money?

Sorry, I'm used to the metric system from living on the continent.

I'm 6ft.

newestUser wrote: »
    Woah with the condescending put-downs there girlie ;)

I didn't mean to imply that *all* women discriminate based on height. I *really* should have used the words 'some women'. I don't think all women discriminate based on height.

You've taken me up wrong completely. Wasnt being condasending at all. Just saw that you were quite.. miffed.. for a want of better words, and it just seemed your post was directed across the board for all women.

You will see by my previous posts in this thread that I happen to down-right disagree with the OP. But I could sit here and rant and rave about how awful I think any of the women here that agree, but it wont get me anywhere. Pissing and wind comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And this is coming from a gymnastics fanatic - I've seen and met plenty of short guys with great bodies, great skills, nice personalities. But there's just no attraction there.

Hmmm, okay. I've met a handful of Swedish women in my life and despite my mates all fawning over them - and they were attractive, intelligent, fun girls - I just didn't connect with any of them or find them attractive. Somehow, I don't feel the need to say I would never date a Swedish girl. Would this change if I met a hundred of them and felt the same? A thousand? I doubt it. I just don't feel the need to put a restriction like that on myself.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Evolutionary biology.

Honestly, Wibbs, that's all well and good but are you telling me you've never been to a barbecue or a party and you start talking to a girl, and at first you're not attracted to her, and by the end of the night you haven't changed your mind but you've warmed to her, and you go home, and you go to bed, and Tuesday rolls around, and you just can't get her out of your head, and you think "I'd love to see her again", and you do see her again, at a party or a barbecue, and you make your way across to her, and you smile, and she smiles, and you clink glasses and chat all night, until, a few hours later, you look around and you're the only two people in the room - and for the last three hours you may as well have been anyway - and you exchange numbers and over the next few weeks you get to know her, really know her, and finally too, somebody knows the real you, until, one night, you tell her how you feel and she tells you that she doesn't feel the same way, and she rebukes your continual advances, until, finally, you have to kidnap her pet rabbit and impale it on a stake in her garden as a gesture of how pure your love is (sure, you tried writing a sonnet but, honestly, who can count that many syllables?).

Seriously, guys, I can't be the only one that's had this happen in their life?
    nadie101 wrote: »
    and Im sure they prob feel the same as us they dont like to go out with a girl who is taller than them...

Can't say I do. At 5'3" I'm unlikely to meet only women smaller than me. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if she were taller than me.
    I do have to say though its not necessarily shallow...

It's not necessarily shallow, no. What we mean when say something's shallow is that someone is over, or only, concerned about something superficial. To absolutely rule out all shorter, taller, fatter, slimmer, darker, paler people without any attempt at assessing their other traits is definitely shallow.
    as others have also said whats the difference between girls liking height in a guy and guys liking a particular hair colour or shape of a body or other preferences in a girl?

There's no difference unless it's an absolute rule either gender live by.

I've a thing for redheads. Of the four or five girls I've found seriously attractive in my life how many have been redheads? None.
    Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Funnily enough Wibbs, lets just say that the guy in question is at the top of his game in his profession so extremely powerful both socially and fiscally. To all intents and purposes a fabulous "catch" as it were.....except for being a hobbit.:(

Sure, you use the sad smiley (why isn't his name frowny?) but, honestly, it seems to me that you're the architect of your own demise. Everything else was good about this guy and you let one thing trip you up? I just couldn't do that to myself.
    Nope, doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like people for who they are rather than how they look.

*high five*

Sometimes I think people like us are in the minority. I wonder if we're just less hardwired to be attracted to these evolutionarilyium attractive traits. Note, I'm not saying not hardwired at all, just less so or somehow less influenced by it.
    Peared wrote: »
    Are we not allowed have taste in men anymore without it 'meaning' something?

Nope. Didn't you hear? It's part of the Lisbon Treaty. Damned bureaucrats.
    Probably worse, but I agree in theory.

Other than the language he uses (melons) I can't see this as being any worse and equally as bad as many of the statements made here (shortarses).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

:mad:

Why the anger here, kick?

Earthhorse wrote:
    Hmmm, okay. I've met a handful of Swedish women in my life and despite my mates all fawning over them - and they were attractive, intelligent, fun girls - I just didn't connect with any of them or find them attractive. Somehow, I don't feel the need to say I would never date a Swedish girl. Would this change if I met a hundred of them and felt the same? A thousand? I doubt it. I just don't feel the need to put a restriction like that on myself.

Oh I don't view it as a restriction at all. There are plenty of men my height and/or taller. And as I said in my earlier post, given our different outlooks on the subject, why bother wasting your time with someone like me anyway?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Other than the language he uses (melons) I can't see this as being any worse and equally as bad as many of the statements made here (shortarses).

I didnt say it was any worse, I meant he would be probably called worse for saying it in front of a group of women.

I just about scrape 5". But I quite like that about myself tbh.

Oh I don't view it as a restriction at all. There are plenty of men my height and/or taller.

I get that in practical terms, which is absolutely why so many women do practise this. I'm speaking more philosophically, I don't understand coming up with any rules for this kind of stuff e.g. I have no interest in going to Australia. I doubt I ever will. I have plenty of opportunites to do other things with my life and yet I feel no need to take a "never" attitude toward going there.
    And as I said in my earlier post, given our different outlooks on the subject, why bother wasting your time with someone like me anyway?

Not sure what you mean by this.

If you mean why bother being bothered by your outlook, the fact is that I'm not all that bothered by it. Just dissapointed more than anything. And that's because I take an interest in other people's thoughts and feelings on things and find it particularly interesting where they are different, indeed the polar opposite, to my own.

If you're talking about why bother with someone with your outlook in relationships, well, you would think that all this height prejudice would narrow the field, but when you're getting to know a woman she doesn't have a handy tag on her saying she's not attracted to small men so you may end up investing a lot of time in something that's not going to happen. Indeed, even after the fact you probably won't know. I've never had a woman explicitly turn me down on grounds of height though I'm sure that was the deciding factor for some. It's easy, though still admirable, to express this opinion on a board, far harder to do it to someone's face.

Anyway, not sure if I've taken you up correctly on your point so feel free to clarify.

I didnt say it was any worse, I meant he would be probably called worse for saying it in front of a group of women.

Ah, sorry, my bad. I getcha.
    I just about scrape 5". But I quite like that about myself tbh.

Yeah, but don't women have the opposite problem? Most men seem to prefer smaller women for probably the opposite reasons women find taller men attractive.

Ah, sorry, my bad. I getcha...yeah, but don't women have the opposite problem? Most men seem to prefer smaller women for probably the opposite reasons women find taller men attractive.

No troubles. Well yeah, I agree. I've noticed they enjoy my ickle-ness tbh :pac:

Maybe thats why Im comfortable with not having height myself . Mr Abi is taller than me, but dont think he would be much more than 5"6 I reckon, that was just the way the mop flopped if you will. But I doubt it would have mattered to me one iota if he was shorter than me. Hes a hell of a lot of personality in one package :)

Funny, kind, thoughtful and loyal. Traits very much so needed if you want someone for life. I personally think that people who judge on appearance get their comeuppance. You cant simply compile a list of things you would like your Mr to be and somehow, someday it will happen. That line of thinking will only ever earn you temporary happiness. Because sooner or later the bottom will fall out of the bucket.

^ Imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Maybe thats why Im comfortable with it, Mr Abi is taller than me, but he couldnt be much more than 5"6 I reckon.
    You cant simply compile a list of things you would like your Mr to be

ROFL:D

Ehm, she's just saying that she estimates he couldn't - as in isn't - much taller than 5' 6", not that any Mr. Abi couldn't be much taller than 5' 6".

• Advertisement

I get that in practical terms, which is absolutely why so many women do practise this. I'm speaking more philosophically, I don't understand coming up with any rules for this kind of stuff e.g. I have no interest in going to Australia. I doubt I ever will. I have plenty of opportunites to do other things with my life and yet I feel no need to take a "never" attitude toward going there.

Not sure what you mean by this.

If you mean why bother being bothered by your outlook, the fact is that I'm not all that bothered by it. Just dissapointed more than anything. And that's because I take an interest in other people's thoughts and feelings on things and find it particularly interesting where they are different, indeed the polar opposite, to my own.

If you're talking about why bother with someone with your outlook in relationships, well, you would think that all this height prejudice would narrow the field, but when you're getting to know a woman she doesn't have a handy tag on her saying she's not attracted to small men so you may end up investing a lot of time in something that's not going to happen. Indeed, even after the fact you probably won't know. I've never had a woman explicitly turn me down on grounds of height though I'm sure that was the deciding factor for some. It's easy, though still admirable, to express this opinion on a board, far harder to do it to someone's face.

Anyway, not sure if I've taken you up correctly on your point so feel free to clarify.

It's not a rule so to speak, it's just not what I'm attracted to. I'm not attracted to men noticeably shorter than me. It's not a slight of their character or manhood - I simply don't find them attractive on an instinctual level.
    And what I meant by the why be bothered comment, is that I think there many fish in the sea for us all, be they short or tall. So why worry about the ones who like taller men? Let them go on their way, and you'll find a woman who thinks your height is just perfect.

It's not a rule so to speak, it's just not what I'm attracted to. I'm not attracted to men noticeably shorter than me.

Do you think your tastes are set in stone? Have you never found yourself unattracted (physically) to someone at first but as you got to know them had that feeling change?
    And what I meant by the why be bothered comment, is that I think there many fish in the sea for us all, be they short or tall. So why worry about the ones who like taller men? Let them go on their way, and you'll find a woman who thinks your height is just perfect.

Like I say, I can't identify their tastes in advance. I'm perfectly happy to let them go on their way; in fact, I wish they would go on their way sooner and not waste my time!

Do you think your tastes are set in stone? Have you never found yourself unattracted (physically) to someone at first but as you got to know them had that feeling change?

Like I say, I can't identify their tastes in advance. I'm perfectly happy to let them go on their way; in fact, I wish they would go on their way sooner and not waste my time!

I can honestly say no to your first question. I've met people I wasn't attracted to, thought they were wonderful people, and said to myself, Damn if only I was attracted to them... but I'm not.

And no one can identify someone's tastes in advance. I can't tell if a guy likes busty blondes at first glance - it's the risk we take when seeking a partner.

Theres always one :P

I mean comfortable with my OWN height (and my short-arsed-ness)

Honestly MF, wouldnt bother me. You might say to me, then why are you with someone who IS taller than you. But at my height, its not that difficult.

I have only ever come across one guy that was shorter than I. He was an absolute fucking gem. Full of personality, I had so many laughs with him, wave-length so good we had a telepathy thing going on.. but it is because (imo) that he is treated the way he is.. he had a few issues. Those I wont go into but, I believe could be related. That bugged me alot, couldnt seem to get through to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Invincible

As long as the hole centers line up,who cares. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Honestly, Wibbs, that's all well and good but are you telling me you've never been to a barbecue or a party and you start talking to a girl, and at first you're not attracted to her, and by the end of the night you haven't changed your mind but you've warmed to her, and you go home, and you go to bed, and Tuesday rolls around, and you just can't get her out of your head, and you think "I'd love to see her again", and you do see her again, at a party or a barbecue, and you make your way across to her, and you smile, and she smiles, and you clink glasses and chat all night, until, a few hours later, you look around and you're the only two people in the room - and for the last three hours you may as well have been anyway - and you exchange numbers and over the next few weeks you get to know her, really know her, and finally too, somebody knows the real you, until, one night, you tell her how you feel and she tells you that she doesn't feel the same way, and she rebukes your continual advances, until, finally, you have to kidnap her pet rabbit and impale it on a stake in her garden as a gesture of how pure your love is (sure, you tried writing a sonnet but, honestly, who can count that many syllables?).
    Honestly? Nope. I've had something like that, in that someone has grown on me, but pretty much I know what's what pretty early on. I either fancy them at the time or for the time and that's cool or I fancy them and think something may come of it longterm. At least physically I know straight off the bat what's what, within the first few minutes anyway. I may end up mates with them, but I don't invest in someone that's is going nowhere. TBH I'm not interested in a woman who isn't interested in me, even if it's only a one nighter or a fling. Biiiig turn off. Maybe it's an ego thing but wasting time on someone that isn't reciprocating? Could never see the point in wasting my time with that(and it is wasting time). Life is too short.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...and she tells you that she doesn't feel the same way, and she rebukes your continual advances, until, finally, you have to kidnap her pet rabbit and impale it on a stake in her garden as a gesture of how pure your love is (sure, you tried writing a sonnet but, honestly, who can count that many syllables?).
    :D:D:D
    You sir, are a feckin legend! :D
    *high five*

Sometimes I think people like us are in the minority. I wonder if we're just less hardwired to be attracted to these evolutionarilyium attractive traits. Note, I'm not saying not hardwired at all, just less so or somehow less influenced by it.
    Sadly, I would agree with this completely.
    I've been with ladies shorter than me, taller than me, thinner than me and heavier than me. I really feel sorry for people that are only able to judge people at the surface level, who are unable to be attracted by anything more than the temporary appearance of someone rather than who they are and how they are. As Abigayle said:
    Abigayle wrote:
    Because sooner or later the bottom will fall out of the bucket.
    I know exactly what you meant about not being initially attracted to someone, but to get to know them, and as time goes on, you start finding them more and more attractive as their inner beauty becomes more apparent to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

It's not really women's fault that they show preference for males who are taller. It's natural to select a mate who can "protect" you and your children and who will pass on genes to his offspring that will ensure that they inherit that aesthetic trate too.

Nowadays it's not as important to feel protected by your spouse, as laws etc. are supposed to do that for you, but I don't think humans will grow out of their natural physical pickiness anytime soon.

On a side note I'm really interested to hear this from a gay/lesbian perspective. Do lesbians naturally prefer taller or shorter women? Do gay men naturally prefer stronger/weaker men? If anyone has a coupl'a cents to throw in on that I'd appreciate it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good question that one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Weidii wrote: »
    It's not really women's fault that they show preference for males who are taller. It's natural to select a mate who can "protect" you and your children and who will pass on genes to his offspring that will ensure that they inherit that aesthetic trate too.

As it natural for a guy to go for looks first off in most cases, if not all I would say. I mean if you're about town. A girl's gotta be attractive to us. Nothing wrong with going for big cans and a nice a$$ imo. :pac: If she's a nice personality, great, if not, on to the next one.

Advertisement