Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low will you go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

^^ It was Raymond's brother, Robert, in the TV sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond, right?:p

Haha, no, but now that you mention it, that's what it was like! He was tall and dark haired, and she was really small and blonde. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I find women are crap at judging height anyway. Men can be perceived as being taller than they actually are if they are rich, famous, powerful, good looking a "bad boy" etc. or if they are already the woman's husband or boyfriend. An identical height man who has none of the above attributes or who they don't like wlil often be perceived as being shorter.

I have had women tell me that Sean Og O Halpin is "sooo tall" whereas similar height guys who aren't famous sportsmen are "average". Another one I know is constantly bragging about how tall her bf is and commenting on other men's heights saying they're "not tall" when in fact her bf is shorter than they are

Of course men lie about their height a lot, maybe their girlfriends lap up their bullsh1t. And there seem to be an awful lot of 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 5 guys on the internet, maybe those are internet feet and inches?

As regards tall men being better protectors this is often not true - a stocky short muscular guy will almost certainly be better at defending himself and his woman than a tall lanky beanpole. Women going for tall guys because they feel "protected" is just cavewoman instinct really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I find women are crap at judging height anyway. Men can be perceived as being taller than they actually are if they are rich, famous, powerful, good looking a "bad boy" etc. or if they are already the woman's husband or boyfriend. An identical height man who has none of the above attributes or who they don't like wlil often be perceived as being shorter.

Pure rubbish and its incredible that you are bunching women into this category....

Some women dont fancy small men, some think they dont and then when they meet a decent one they change their minds... Bottom line - women are just as visually discriminating as men, we just dont go on about it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I find women are crap at judging height anyway.

Can't speak for all woman but I find any man that I have to look down atas short, as a general rule of thumb...

I have never - & will never - find a man who is shorter than a heeled me, attractive...I'm not at all just a fan of tall men, they just have to be taller than me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Pure rubbish and its incredible that you are bunching women into this category....

Some women dont fancy small men, some think they dont and then when they meet a decent one they change their minds... Bottom line - women are just as visually discriminating as men, we just dont go on about it all the time.

Actually I'd say it sounds quite reasonable, a bit similar to nostalgia really. The person is so enamoured with the person that they create an idealised memory of them, love goggles as it were. Both genders will do this sort of thing regarding the features of their OH. With most of the detail in our memories being imagined anyway it's not all that surprising.
    It's not unlike how we will forgive/overlook traits in people we like that we would have no patience for in those we don't know/like.

• Advertisement

I recall two of my ex housemates having a brawl in the then living room over who was taller.
    I was there and a half a foot taller than both. ~shrug~
    Some people are just odd.

BTW if I was a cavelady, I wouldn't be worried about picking the best hunter.
    I'd be using my loose cavelady morals to keep a team of providers on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Haha, no, but now that you mention it, that's what it was like! He was tall and dark haired, and she was really small and blonde. :D

The actress that plays Deborah in that sitcom looks like a child compared to her fictional brother in law, would be cool if they had an affair.:)

There was a girl that worked in the same company as me before and she was very very petite, and it was a bit funny that her name was so apt.:D I can't say what it was because this is a public forum...

Everybody looked very tall compared to her. I'm crap at judging height (so it ain't only women, Brian) and don't know how tall she was, but I'm guessing less than even 5 foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

farohar wrote: »
    The reasons for being attracted to tall men is probably simply down to the way limb length tends to be proportional to the general height.
    Longer legs should mean longer stride and thereby a faster runner.
    Longer arms should result in better throwing power/range as a spearchucker.
    As such tall should equate to being a better hunter, thereby a better provider for offspring.

That is bullsh*t.Theres no evidence to suggest this whole male/hunter theory. In fact in most modern tribal cultures and looking at evidence throughout history women were just as much providers,if not more so than men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

panda100 wrote: »
    That is bullsh*t.Theres no evidence to suggest this whole male/hunter theory.
    No? How come men tend to be more aggressive or tend to be physically stronger?

:confused:

...I'll give you a clue - it's not for picking fucking flowers!

That is bullsh*t.Theres no evidence to suggest this whole male/hunter theory. In fact in most modern tribal cultures and looking at evidence throughout history women were just as much providers,if not more so than men.

Women were the foragers, men were the hunters, we evolved from carnivorous scavangers (fed one the marrow in the bones left behind by other animals apparently), hence, though we are omnivorous meat has always been a major part of our diet (if you really want I can point out all the physical characteristics we have that mark us out as carnivores as opposed to herbivores). Foraging is also highly dependant upon the weather and less nutritionally efficient, since the animal you eat has already filtered out all the useless parts of the food it foraged/hunted. As such your claim is highly dubious.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    No? How come men tend to be more aggressive or tend to be physically stronger?

:confused:

...I'll give you a clue - it's not for picking fucking flowers!

Irish men aggressive? Bhahaha!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Irish men aggressive? Bhahaha!

Assume you're saying it's an understatement? Hopefully it's not caused you any harm/serious scares. Unfortunately the Irish ethos of "sure they were drunk, you can't hold them responsible" excuses far too much uncivilised behaviour. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Only got through about 8 pages then skipped to the last page... wow is all I will say.

*notes down the 'ladies' who go on size rather than the person/chemistry*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Oh yeah ladies, do I qualify? I am 6' 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

"men tend..." Moonbaby, "men tend".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That is bullsh*t.Theres no evidence to suggest this whole male/hunter theory.
    Eh yea there is. Mountains of it.

Why do you think men on average are stronger, *Ahem* taller... faster, have better hand eye coordination and a few other things? That would be because of the importance of those traits in hunting. Those traits that women still find attractive even though we hunt in tescos now. Look at the guys in the male appreciation thread. Pretty much all physically fit, well muscled males, that if you went back in time to our distant past would still pull their fair share(womens attractiveness seems to vary way more with fashion around some basic principles).

We're better hunters and spear chuckers basically. Our stronger bones and thicker skin even comes into it. Neandertal males often show breaks in the bones very similar to rodeo riders as they wrestled and speared animals in close. Our lot, homo sapiens developed longer range tactics though.

Women have better colour vision and sense of smell and taste, even memory for detail among other things. Why? because those traits are useful in gathering. Freshness and ripeness of food, knowledge of sources for same etc. You kill something and you know it's fresh so that's not such an issue for males.

There's even one theory why men don't tend to talk as much as women and when they do their patterns tend towards directions to action etc. Again hunting where lots of talk is not conducive to success. You can pretty much talk all you like when sneaking up on a lettuce.
    In fact in most modern tribal cultures and looking at evidence throughout history women were just as much providers,if not more so than men.
    It's actually pretty equal in most hunter gatherer societies and there can also be shared food gathering. Indeed purely on calorie acquisition males may be slightly higher as animal based food has a higher calorie content.

It's only when farming kicked off we got unhealthier and less robust and food acquisition(and gender roles) became less equal and actually more labour intensive(though more reliable).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It can be seen in most 2/3 year old boys they throw things, they just have this compulsion to throw things and you can't break them of it all that can be done is to channel it and give them a to aim at bucket and a bunch of sponge balls or hackysacks.

Not that there were no women who hunted and men that gathered what so ever but they were on the extremes of the bell curve but usually were accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I wouldn't mind a man being smaller than me at all, but I'm only 5ft 3 so it doesn't happen very often! My frst boyfriend was only about 5ft and it was never an issue for me.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It can be seen in most 2/3 year old boys they throw things, they just have this compulsion to throw things and you can't break them of it all that can be done is to channel it and give them a to aim at bucket and a bunch of sponge balls or hackysacks.
    True enough little girls only seem to throw things in a tantrum, usually from the top of a stairs it seems for extra dramatic effect, lads... well any excuse for destruction really...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Im a guy, is 5'7 too small?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Im a guy, is 5'7 too small?

Six inches is the norm, so I'd say you're fine. It's usually more about girth anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

height doesnt bother me. if you were wearing high heels (4") and are 5'5' that means you were 5'9 and he appeared to be 5'8. that isn't really that short. not exactly hobbit status.

You're still 5'5" though, not 5'9"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You're still 5'5" though, not 5'9"...

well i've since found out i'm 5"3". tbh i'm not going to let a stupid thing like not being "able" to wear skyscraper heels get in the way of being with a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Driina

I'm 5ft11" and have had shorter bfs.
    No big deal if you like the company I think.

I am happily married to a 6ft2" guy now tho... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

An inch or two!?! i thought i was bad before i read this. I'm not sure a couple of inches would bother me really. i would rather a guy taller but i think the height difference would have to be bigger than a few inches before it's a no-no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

I'm a girl and 5'6, personally I couldn't give a damn if the guy was shorter. When I was in college there was a seriously cute guy and he was only about 5'2 - 3 I'd say, and he was lovely looking!

My ex from a few years ago was slightly shorter than me and he used to always say he was 5'11 coz he was insecure about his height, after reading this thread I can see why!!! :D

My ex from a few years ago was slightly shorter than me and he used to always say he was 5'11 coz he was insecure about his height, after reading this thread I can see why!!! :D

It isn't just that they say that they are a couple of feet taller.
    They genuinely believe it too. :D
    It is a very rare man that is honest about his height.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is a very rare man that is honest about his height.

For years I told people I was 5'7'' when I'm actually closer to 5'9'' - I measured myself at 18/19ish and thought "right that's it I'm 5'7" I obviously eeked out another inch or two after that though.

Having said that though I usually say I'm 5'8 as 5'9 isn't strictly accurate and saying '5'8 and three quarters' just sounds a bit insecure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

So, Ladies would you prefer to date a hunk of a 6 footer (who you later found out was a total a$$hole and quickly banished him from living memory) or a 5 foot 5 bloke who ticked all the right boxes (bar one maybe...:P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

You know what they say:

Better to have loved a short man than never to have loved a tall

Advertisement