Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo to impound roadside For Sale vehicles

• 28-05-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0528/roadsafety.html
    In a new Road Safety initiative launched today, Mayo County Council has begun towing away and impounding cars that have been left on roadsides and offered for sale.

The council says cars with For Sale signs are a distraction and a hazard to other motorists.

It intends to confiscate them and crush them to discourage the practice.
    Big thumbs up to Mayo County Council. I travel the N17 frequently, and the amount of cars for sale on the side of the road around Claremorris is a disgrace as well as a distraction.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Personally I dont see anything wrong with it. I have never done it myself but as long as they are off the road and not on the hard shoulder or anything it should be ok. But again thats my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There are any number of ways to sell anything that are better than leaving it on the side of the road. It's not a bad idea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

dcukhunter wrote: »
    Personally I dont see anything wrong with it. I have never done it myself but as long as they are off the road and not on the hard shoulder or anything it should be ok. But again thats my opinion.

i agree as long as they are well off the road,but it says they will be crushed, will they tell the owners to pay a fine,or just crush them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Mayo County Council in league with the motor dealers, as far as I can see.
    "We're rate payers, and dem bastards is stealing our livelihood."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭serfboard

zenith wrote: »
    Mayo County Council in league with the motor dealers, as far as I can see.
    "We're rate payers, and dem bastards is stealing our livelihood."
    No - there are plenty places to sell a car privately. Papers, online, car auctions, drive around with a For Sale sign on your car for all I care, but cars left beside exits onto a main road, making traffic travelling on that main road believe it may be about to pull out is dangerous.

And by the way, this problem is particularly acute around Claremorris. I haven't seen much of it anywhere else in Mayo, or around the country, suggesting that only a small number of individual(s?) are responsible for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I actually heard this last week, MCC notified in writing all those with cars/vans for sale on the side of the road in Charlestown.

I see nothing wrong with it, I've sold 3 cars and a van from the side of the road over the years. Private sales of my own vehicles, made no profit, caused no accidents either. Mine were left inside the town speed limits tho.

Most calls come from truck drivers looking out for vehicles for those they know. If your on the lookout for a certain type of car/van ask your local truck driver :D This is why the side of the road sells cars easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cycling is fun

in regards to this l was speaking with my uncle a few months ago and he said that alot of these cars are not in fact for sale the nos left in same care window is a contact no for someone to get in contact with owner of car to arrange a race against someone else in there car its usually the boy racer type cars that are involved in same he said that he was advdised of this by a garda friend of his

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I always wondered about that alright, the twin-cam-shams with their small cars with lots of money spent on them constantly having the car for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

in regards to this l was speaking with my uncle a few months ago and he said that alot of these cars are not in fact for sale the nos left in same care window is a contact no for someone to get in contact with owner of car to arrange a race against someone else in there car its usually the boy racer type cars that are involved in same he said that he was advdised of this by a garda friend of his

Most of that is rubbish there a coulple of people that do that but the main reason the car is for sale all the time is no one other than themselfs would pay any money for the ball of s**t they are trying to sell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Complete and utter BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Boy racing happend between friends or random cars on the road. Obviously, your uncle must have been telling you about a very iscolated case or one that never happens.

Don't mind them put on straights, so as, if you see the car in the distance, you can either slow down, or pull in to have a look. Leaving them on corners is when things start gettign dangerous, because thats when it knocks concentration.

Kudos to MayoCoCo for at least making an attempt to sort out the small distractions. Having met the Road safety officer(noel gibbons) twice and sitting in on two of his presentations. His "department" does a good job, and they dont make decisions unless they have reason to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Complete and utter BS

+1 Ive heard a lot of BS in my time but this theory really made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

serfboard wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0528/roadsafety.html

Big thumbs up to Mayo County Council. I travel the N17 frequently, and the amount of cars for sale on the side of the road around Claremorris is a disgrace as well as a distraction.:mad:

What a load of sh!t!! Oh poor you for not being able to keep your eyes on the road. You my friend, are everything that is wrong with some people in this country. Nothing better to do then complain. Your life must be very sad or else very boring. I live in claremorris and there isn't that many cars around for sale but where there does be they are in perfectly safe places. SO WHAT?

The only thing that's a disgrace is having to listen to people like you complain all the time.

How were you not embarrassed when writing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dialandeliver

mayo news has an article on this topic Council impound car parked on roadside

Advertisement