Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Racing Tyres

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I thought i'd start a thread to see which are the best racing tyres out there, obviously it's a bit expensive to go out and try them all by trail and error so maybe u can post your thoughts and experiences with various tyres here ?

Personally i've tried Michelin Prorace 2, absolutely loved them for their grip and nice rolling resistance but i've yet to get 500 miles out of one of them without getting a serious cut or something in them. Also tried Continental Grand Prix 4000 which were good but didn't feel as good as the Prorace and again the back one cut itself up after a few hundred miles so i ended up going back to Continental GP 4 Season which i've only got 2 puntures on in about 15000 km (on two sets). But they're not as grippy as the Prorace or GP4000 and they do seem to have a higher rolling resistance than the other two.

So which tyres do u use and which tyres do u think have the best grip, least rolling resistance and are puncture proof ? Maybe i'm looking for too much in a tyre ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I currently ride the Pro Race 2's, plus the GP4000's and the Conti Attack/Force. I find the pro race 2's roll spectacularly, however on 14% gradients in the wet out of the saddle I lose grip too easily. I find the GP4000's and the attack/forces to be better for grip, they also puncture far less than the michelin's in my experience.

I didn't find much difference between the attack/force and the GP4000, but I have put 5000k on the original GP4000 both during wet winter training and in racing and they are still going strong.

I DO find that the Continental GP4000 Black Chilli tires (a different version of the GP4000 with apparently better rolling resistance and grip) to be very good so far. No complaints and I have raced them now for a few months, no punctures so far touch wood and they seem to grip and roll very nicely in all conditions.

I have in the past also used the top of the range hutchinsons. These were great but fell apart FAST. The Vittoria Open Corsa CX's were nice too, but if pushed I would probably say that my favs are the GP4000 Black Chilli's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I currently ride the Pro Race 2's, plus the GP4000's and the Conti Attack/Force. I find the pro race 2's roll spectacularly, however on 14% gradients in the wet out of the saddle I lose grip too easily. I find the GP4000's and the attack/forces to be better for grip, they also puncture far less than the michelin's in my experience.

I didn't find much difference between the attack/force and the GP4000, but I have put 5000k on the original GP4000 both during wet winter training and in racing and they are still going strong.

I DO find that the Continental GP4000 Black Chilli tires (a different version of the GP4000 with apparently better rolling resistance and grip) to be very good so far. No complaints and I have raced them now for a few months, no punctures so far touch wood and they seem to grip and roll very nicely in all conditions.

I have in the past also used the top of the range hutchinsons. These were great but fell apart FAST. The Vittoria Open Corsa CX's were nice too, but if pushed I would probably say that my favs are the GP4000 Black Chilli's.

I was actually tempted to get a pair of them Corsa CX's to see what they're like but after reading about them chilli's i'm also tempted by them ! Only thing that's putting me off is the fact i only got a few hundred miles out of the GP4000 before it was cut right through.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As I mentioned in another thread, I use GP4000S, the black chilli ones, and I'm very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

ordered the GP4000s chilli's yesterday. hopefully they as as good for me as others have found them!

Do them black chilli tyres cut easily or are they a bit more hardy than the GP4000's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No idea. Did not have a single problem with the original GP4000's. Any tire will cut up if you run it over something that can cut it up though... !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    No idea. Did not have a single problem with the original GP4000's. Any tire will cut up if you run it over something that can cut it up though... !

And herein lies my problem. When i go out training i use quiet country roads and country roads being what they are the surface isn't always the best, guess i'll just have to break into the piggy bank and check them out for myself !

Advertisement