Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fcp

Options
  • 29-05-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Has/will it make a difference in your opinion ?

Has/will FCP make a difference ? 32 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    87% 28 votes
    Don't care
    12% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I think the FCP has a lot of potential to influence the future availability of our sports.

I would like to see IPSA represented as it represents one of the shooting sport I partake in.

The others are covered.

Therefore I vote YES.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Yes from me too..........;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If the only thing the FCP does is improve the DoJ's knowledge of shooting sports in Ireland then it's worth it. If all sides can talk their way out of the old position of us-and-them and start to cooperate more then everyone will benefit.

Obviously there will still be situations where shooters will need or want to go to court but hopefully the number of those situations will reduce. Jaw-jaw is always preferable to war-war.

I doubt that the Irish government's policies on firearms will change very much as a result of the FCP but I suspect the real change we'll see will be in the implementation of the policies. With more input from the FCP we should hopefully see knock-on effects in increased consistency from the Gardai and more accurate firearms legislation.

Getting the IPSA represented should help too since they're the most likely to suffer from laws agains "scary black guns". I doubt they'll have much joy countering the political motivation against centre-fire semi-auto handguns though. Maybe that's just my pessimistic side talking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

IRLConor wrote: »
    Getting the IPSA represented should help too since they're the most likely to suffer from laws agains "scary black guns". I doubt they'll have much joy countering the political motivation against centre-fire semi-auto handguns though. Maybe that's just my pessimistic side talking though.
    The IPSA aren't the only group that use centrefire pistols. Apart from ISSF centrefire (and we don't have any ranges set up or authorised for that yet), there's PP1500 and gallery that are under the auspices of the NASRPC.

The NARGC have also supported members in licence applications and court actions for ownership of centrefire pistols.

scary black guns

Most of them have nickel plated sissy pistols now anyway.

Only a few us us can handle a real gun - they come in any colour you like as long as it's black.

I have only ever seen black rimfire semi auto pistols - fair enough they may have had wooden grips but I think they are more scary. :(

B'Man

• Advertisement

Apart from ISSF centrefire (and we don't have any ranges set up or authorised for that yet)

Does it need a special range?

Can it not be done on any centrefire range ?

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Does it need a special range?

Can it not be done on any centrefire range ?

B'Man

Realistically it needs electronic targets or a good turning target system. The courses of fire are very awkward if you don't have them. I know Midlands ran one recently, but there were problems with the turning targets and it slows the whole thing down if it doesn't run right.

Plus there's the whole equipment control set up for checking trigger weights and pistol sizes.

As regards the topic of this thread, the FCP exists to help deal with issues that develop between the sport and the authorities without the need to embark on expensive litigation.

The conference this month had one positive effect in demonstrating that we didn't have horns growing out of our heads and long forked tails. :)

As Conor said, dialogue is far more effective than confrontation. Confrontation may get you to the table, but dialogue will keep you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One pragmatic view is that we can't ever win in a confrontation with the DoJ, not in the long term. So the FCP is the best solution we can get. I'm personally not that happy with the IPSA being on the outside, not because I want to shoot IPSA stuff (Sorry lads, but my scary black air pistol is still more fun to me than your sissy nickel popguns ;):p ), but because the odd of the FCP's overall success tend towards a maximum as the number of disenchanted people tend towards a minimum.

I'm also not happy with the information flow out of the FCP into the public domain, but that's something that can be worked on (hint, hint).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ASFIK and going by the IPSA website news,they have or are in the process of rejoining?:confused:
    Careful now Sparks..Your scary black air pistol might be mistaken for some new fangled pulsed plasma pistol in the 40 watt range,and suffer from idonlikedelookodat itis,and end up on the restricted list. GRIN

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ASFIK and going by the IPSA website news,they have or are in the process of rejoining?:confused:

It looks like they're applying to join the SSAI.

The SSAI have a seat at the FCP which would get them represented through that.

Careful now Sparks..Your scary black air pistol might be mistaken for some new fangled pulsed plasma pistol

Especially now that his rifle has a "foldable" stock which definitely puts it in the restricted category :D

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's more a "detachable" stock now Bman.

Funny story though, one of the first drafts for the restricted list (nearly 2 years ago now) actually did restrict ISSF rifles because of their movable/interchangable buttplates and stocks. The Steyr LG100 series in particular, because it's a take-down air rifle, would have been on the list. 5 minutes chatting to the DoJ about it and there was a "D'Oh" and a change. Showing that the FCP is a bloody good idea because it enables that for all comers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

On your detachable Anschutz stock Sparks,any joy on the welding or replacement?

B man,it is shotguns that have that feature not rifles ASFIK.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Yes from me too..........;)

+1 steve:D

Advertisement