Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Training Distances

Options
  • 29-05-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I am wondering how far people generally ride for evening training rides if they get out and into the hills?

I do hill repeats and some sprint work a couple of nights a week but then some times its good to get out into the hills and I would normally do about 40-50km but have never ventured up past sally gap into laragh direction and done 60-80km in an evening. Would many people do this? (I finish work at about 5:45)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I was out on the bike last night until 9:40, can't see why a 3:55 minute bike isn't on for you :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd rarely go beyond 50km on an evening spin. If I got out of work earlier, then I might go beyond that on evenings like this, but that never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Nothing like a nice long spin after work alright...As tunney says its still bright enough to be out until shortly before ten, I would personally try and be out of the hills before nine....Cracking day today, id say ill be out for 80k plus this evening myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

I did 70km in the park last night and was going Dizzy by the end. I did come to the decision getting out into the hills might be a better idea for my sanity... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Might as well cycle on a running track..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would not normally do over 45-50km in the evening (and more normal would be 30km) although very occasionally (twice this year) I have done 60km, which would invariably involve Sally Gap. I generally do a 18km loop over lunch. I'm quite consistent though and cycle almost every day, with very few exceptions- weekly distances would be around 450km at the moment. Almost all my cycling involves hills; I'm fortunate in that regard to work in Sandyford (it's about the only good thing about working there mind!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Usually 2hours/50km, and lots of hills. Some guys I go out with do a "Belgian" which is riding up as many hills as you can find.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Some guys I go out with do a "Belgian" which is riding up as many hills as you can find.

I've found that anything cycling related which carries the adjective 'Belgian' invariably involves hard man stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

ollietrex wrote: »
    70km in the park last night

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ollietrex wrote: »
    I did 70km in the park last night and was going Dizzy by the end. I did come to the decision getting out into the hills might be a better idea for my sanity... :rolleyes:

phoenix park? i used to be able to do endless laps there but since i've started venturing into the hills i start to crack up if i do more than an hour or so there. just feel like a fecking hamster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

I got out into the hills last night instead of doing laps of the park... 50km and 2 hours later and I had a big smile on my face not a look of being dizzy going round in circles....

Advertisement