Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that if you buy from outside the EU, once an item is marked as GIFT, no du

• 29-05-2008 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Is it true that if you buy from outside the EU, once an item is marked as GIFT, no duty is payable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Josiah Bartlett

I believe so, my brother is in the states and thats what i would get him to do. Also buying from EBay i would ask them to put gift on the box when buying outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭deco28

Afraid its not true, any item with a value of more than €45 (i think) is liable for duty.Im sure there are loads of threads here about customs and duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Josiah Bartlett

Sorry deco there might be right,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It's €22 sadly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Sorry to add to the woe, but it only applies to low value items. Not only does duty apply (rates vary depending upon the item), but VAT at 21% is also payable.

To add insult to injury the cost of postage is included in the amount to be taxed. :(

I'm sure some people have got away with marking higher priced items as gifts if they are lucky, but that does not mean it is legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

All true. The limit is due to be raised to €150 in december so that will be some relief (disclaimer: I am affiliated with that blog).

One other thing is if you have a registered business name, not necessarily a company, you can import trade samples without paying duty. I was able to import a high-end monitor tax-free this way a couple of years ago. I think it was about €12 to register the name, so well worth it for a one-off import.

Advertisement