Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken shelf on fridge door

Options
  • 29-05-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

The lower shelf on the fridge door snapped off on one side. I used to put the milk on that shelf, could'nt get over how easily it snapped and how plastic and unsupportive it is. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Sorry no ideas on how to fix it, but would be interested to know what brand it is (as I am looking at replacing my own fridge at the moment, and want to know what to avoid!).

If the fridge is reasonably new, you might get a replacement part from the manufacturer. If it is under guarantee this should be no problem.

If the fridge is quite old, you might be lucky and find someone who is disposing of an old one and you could get the shelf from it. There are some good websites where people give stuff away, eg. www.dublinwaste.ie. You can put a notice in the 'wanted' section and you might be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Its a Zanussi integrated fridge/freezer, bout five yeaars old. The tray itself is fine its just where the tray slides down onto the door that snaped, very fine plastic with what looks styrafoam under the plastic, not much support in my opinion. Thanks for the tip re dublinwaste, too far up country for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

I would still contact Zanussi (or the shop where you got the fridge) about this. You may be able to get a replacement.

My existing fridge is Zanussi and all the shelf-bits on the door have cracks in them. Just not strong enough plastic being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

hairymolly wrote: »
    Its a Zanussi integrated fridge/freezer, bout five yeaars old. The tray itself is fine its just where the tray slides down onto the door that snaped, very fine plastic with what looks styrafoam under the plastic, not much support in my opinion. Thanks for the tip re dublinwaste, too far up country for me.
    take a trip to your local recycling depot and ask what day the stuff gets collected so arrive the day before for best selection: that where i get spare parts for all my stuff

Thanks for the advice. Think I will go back to shop where i bought the fridge before recycle day, good advice ircoha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dfo3

This happened to me too about a year ago (also a Zanussi fridge!). I got some glue in Woodies - can't remember exactly what it was called but there were two tubes in the pack that you had to mix. Put that on and left it overnight and it's been fine since. In fact I had almost forgotten it had broken until I read your post! I've been putting all our milk, juices, wine etc in it and it has held no problem.

Thanks for that dfo3 will look into it. Unbelivable the cheap 'quality' plastic used for that particular shelf.

Advertisement