Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McBride leaves Fulham

• 29-05-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Brian McBride has announced he will be leaving Fulham to finish his career in America.
    I'm very sorry to see him go, he is an absolutely smashing pro, would give everything he had in every game. When you talk about honesty of effort, integrity and leadership Brian McBride has to be top of the pile.

What will always sum the man up for me was Italy USA in the 06 world cup. He got what could only be described as a vicious elbow from De Rossi but he didn't make a meal out of it by throwing himself about as if he'd been shot. He went off, got three stitches and came straight back on and then went on to praise De Rossi for at least having the class to apologise.

With his attitude he could easily play for three or four more seasons in the MLS. He'll be missed, the game needs more like him.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3622442,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nooooooooooooo :(

In that game against Italy he turned in a cracking performance and ran himself into the ground for his team.

I think though that aside from his determination and maturity on and off the pitch - he actually was a very, very intelligent footballer. His good positioning and eye for a clever run allowed him to overcome a lack of real pace to still be a threat for defenders. He helped to link play and bring people into the game. And he was obviously brilliant in the air.

As you say, a great pro and a shining example of the way footballers should carry themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As you say, a great pro and a shining example of the way footballers should carry themselves.
    I posted something similar about him in the England V USA friendly thread.
    Seemed like a very genuine guy, as the examples above show. Probably got fed up at Fulham and wanted to move closer to home, because there is no way they should be letting a player of his quality leave!

Farewell Brian and best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I believe it was for his 2 kids / family he wanted to move back to the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Classy footballer and a model pro. As the OP said, the World Cup game when he got opened up with an elbow and continued on to put in MOTM performance summed him up. Not only that but he is a genuinely quality footballer. Fulham will miss him. Glad he seems to have recovered fully from that horrible knee injury at the start of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Where in the MLS is he going to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

A true pro, and one of the few players that doesn't reek of Wag-ness, tapping up, phat contracts, and all the other gheyness that is becoming all so prevelent in todays game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he played for Everton for a bit as well, he was a sound guy alright. prob the opposite of cashley cole....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Good pro and reliable when fit. He'll be missed in the Fulham front line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Player i always liked.
    Never hear a complaint or a stupid comment from him in the media, always gives 120%
    which is obvious due to the fact that half his face is kept together with titanium and had
    a knack of getting important goals.
    If he was 5 years younger and had just a bit more pace id love to see him join
    Liverpool as their #2 striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

was a favourite of mine. Played the game in the right manner. Besides being a model pro, he's also a decent center forward. Good in the air and gets himself into good positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Hmmm how did I miss this thread?

I'm really sad to see him leave! :( I don't think we could ever be able to replace such a model professional such as McBride. Roy Hodgson is going to have to get really busy with a replacement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Suprised he left after this season. I like the chap but wasn't he injured the majority of this season? Suprising that he would leave after that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Always liked him - mr. dependable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

He left to be closer to family reganio

Advertisement