Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping & fishing

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Lads with the long weekend upon us. I fancy a spot of camping. Anyone know a good spot? campground or other? where I could do a spot of fishing. Not to far from Dublin. Ill give the sea a rest, give it a chance to replenish its stocks ;). I dont know a thing about pike fishing but Ive caught a few trout and perch in my time. I went to Mullingar a good few years ago, I caught a pike with my bare hands (true story). Nice camp grounds and lakes out that way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you dont know anything about pike then leave them alone....you'll only do more harm than good....
    You could try baiting up an area with groundbait and fish for coarse fish at night.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Don't worry I will leave them alone, but unfortunately I can't go back in time to when I caught what can only be described as a whopper pike with my bare hands! Being a self taught fisherman I may never learn the wiley ways of the Irish Pike!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Last summer myself and a few of my friends decided to go camping, we were planning on camping in the general Powerscourt waterfall area ... but camping is prohibited in that area. So we drove about two or three miles past powerscourt and came to a lovely spot with a nice little river running alongside it. I had only brought one fishing rod, a few worms and just a bit of basic tackle ... over the two days I had about ten trout which wasn't bad considering I wasn't even fishing heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 THE 1

hi. why not come to mayo , to the wild and beautiful WEST OF IRELAND. lots of great places to fish( mask, carra , conn & cullin plus lots of smaller lakes, miles of river bank) and acres of countryside to camp in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

here says they have fishing onsite. wont be wilderness camping though but you could nip up to rathdrum for a pint!!

Hidden Valley Caravan and Camping Park
    Rathdrum
    County Wicklow
    Tel: 0404 46080; 0404 41647
    Int. phone: 00 353 40446080
    Fax:
    Email: info@irelandholidaypark.com
    Web: http://www.irelandholidaypark.com

• Advertisement

Going camping at Lough Dan tonight, Whats the best method of fishing here? Anyone know what species would be bobbing around, Bringing,maggots and worms,have a small feeder. Could you spin for anything, I dont want to target pike, I generally only catch them with my bare hands!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Lough Dan has trout, eels and minnow.
    It used to also have one of the few remaining char stocks but acid rain or (more likely) acid runoff from bankside coniferous plantations on feeder streams seems to have caused the extinction of the char in L Dan about 10 years ago.

Average trout is 8 inches, with occasional ferox type trout going bigger.
    Worms or maggots would get the trout and eels.
    Spinning small lures would get the bigger trout and maybe of you are lucky a ferox.
    Locals in the Wicklow Angling Club flyfish from boats there for trout.

Most of the lakeshore is private and enforced by landowners, you would want to have permission for the place. The scouts place at L Dan House might be good.

If you happened to catch a char on maggots in Lough dan we would all like to hear the good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Would be interested to know how u get on with permisssion to fish in Lough Dan. Most of it is owned by the Guinness family i think. North Western edge is part of the Wicklow Forestry people.

Got lots of camping and fishing gear in Aldi yesterday, very happy with the stuff, nice and cheap.

let us know how u get on if u want, would like to read it.

cheers, des

Camping was great,beautiful spot.Very shallow for a good distance. Didn't really fish that much,nothing on the worm and nothing on the spinners. Wasnt getting good casts. There was definately trout there.You could hear them jumping all morning and all night. If you had flies you would catch plenty Im sure. In the morning there were so many midges and what have yu flying around the trout were leaping all round the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Midges ate me alive in Annamoe at the weekend. Brian who owns the place gives a lesson and a full day pass for 48 euro. Without the lesson its 26 for the full day and 18 for 4 hours. He'll show you what knots, lines and flies to use for free.
    Got a new rod and reel for half price from Henry's tackle in Ballybough, very happy with them although perhaps the reel is a bit heavier then i'm used to. He has deals on sea and spinning rods too, they're in a half price box when u go in the door. I'm sure most places have great deals but these are just the ones i know about. Hoping to get a fly fishing lesson from Peter O'Reilly before the summer is out. I've earned it.

glad to hear u enjoyed the camping chief, where abouts on lough Dan did u go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Sparky29

Did you end up camping in the Scouts section of Lough Dan? planning on heading up around that area this weekend but not sure what the craic is with where to leave the car and wheres the best place to camp there with a small fire would be.

Normally i head to a good spot up the wicklow gap beside a nice river off the beaten track but coillte have apparently closed the road up to it now!grr

Advertisement