Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Macs

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

What are these like?
    I want to pick up a mac and saw a few of these. How much better is the Mac pro?

Whats the difference? The intel chip?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Power macs are the older version of the Mac Pro. Most of the ones you'll see have the older G5 processors in them.

I'm using a PowerBook 1ghz G4. I can get 24 tracks of audio and about 12 plugin's before it starts to struggle.

I've used dual core 1.8 G5 for Pro Tools LE. Full 32 track count and over 30 plugins before you have to increase the buffer. So i can only imagine what the newer quad core machines are able to do!!!

If i was looking at getting one, get no less than the Dual 1.8 G5 machine. As for the software, the latest OS can be installed onto the machine. All the current software out there will work on them no probs.

If you in the ProTools HD end of things the machine will be great, for a LE system you'll also get great results, maybe add on some DSP units to take the strain off the cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

What about Logic 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well Logic8 would be dependent on the computers CPU, just like PTLE

I would imagine it to be the same kind of performance.

There was this one on adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=43571&cat=all

Was in my mind worth around 700.

Advertisement