Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.45 bullet casing?

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, anyone know where i could get a 45mm bullet casing? empty of course.
    Im in cork city, is there a place that might sell me a lone bullet? and maybe even empty it?

its for my end of year project, im doing graphic design.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45

Just for some reading

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It's .45 of an inch, not .45mm. That'd be pretty small. ;)

No-one will sell you ammunition without a license so your best bet would be to get a used empty from someone.

You should be able to find empties at your nearest club that shoots pistol. Does it have to be .45 or will another similar-sized calibre do?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Not really any specific bullet, I need the butt of the bullet that gets hit by the hammer in the gun.
    I need a Butt thats about 8-10mm in diameter, does that exist?

As ye probably have already noticed i dont know much about bullets, or guns for that matter.

I remember that my uncle used to have a rifle for hunting years ago and the bullet casings were small, and probably about that size.

What would ye suggest I should be looking for?
    Thanks for the knowledge and help too.

sm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Not really any specific bullet, I need the butt of the bullet that gets hit by the hammer in the gun.

sm

yup the 9mm Parabellum round has a base diameter of 9.93mm according to wikipedia.

How many you looking for, 1, 2 or 100

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Then you'll need something smaller than .45, the base of a .45 ACP round is 12.2mm.

To get something with a base between 8 and 10mm you'll need something at or below 9mm, probably one of these:

.204 Ruger (9.6mm at the base)
    .223 Remington (9.6mm at the base)
    .32 S&W Long (9.5mm at the base)
    9x19mm Parabellum (9.96mm at the base)

I would guess that your best bet is a .223 or a 9mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Just be careful what you do with these empties when you are done with your graphic design project.

Don't be daft and get spotted showing them to someone down the pub.

If someone, who does not know what it is, sees you with what look like bullets, the Gardai may be called.

If they are responding to a call regarding "bullets" it will be dealt with as an extremely serious event.

So just be careful who/where/when sees you with these empties.

And pleeeeeeze don't disappoint and end up making some cheesy "gangsta" poster.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

I only need one casing,
    i just need the Butt as a replacement for a fullstop in a poster for the Godfather. as part of a series of advertising for a digital movie rental service that will be nationwide in a year or so.

I wouldnt be up to any mischief with it anyway, final year, and final month of college, no need to be messing things up at this stage in the game.

cheers for the help, and if anyone is in the cork area and has one handy let me know.
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wouldnt be up to any mischief with it anyway, final year, and final month of college, no need to be messing things up at this stage in the game.
    See, you'd think so, but then you'd remember the chap in the NCAD a year or two back who had two deactivated AK-47's sent to himself in the post for his final year project :D

But most clubs would be willing to help out by giving you an empty casing, and if you're in cork, fermoy's not that far away.

Here's a picture of a .357 sig if it's any use - all I could find when I looked through my pockets.

B'Man

I rooted around ina few drawers and these are the centrefire empties I found - including a .45 auto.

If you want the fullsize image PM me your email and I'll mail it to you - 4MB

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

spider ,will a .223 do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If its the Godfather a .45 case is what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kowloon wrote: »
    If its the Godfather a .45 case is what you want.
    Agreed.
    Unfortunately, the Godfather movies aren't yet listed HERE, but without going back through them and checking for sure, I'd say that .38 Special, .45 ACP, and 12 Gauge would be the most authentic calibres to use.

Also, as this sounds like it's for a commercial project, would there be copyright issues with showing a manufacturer's logo on the case?
    Pretty much all cartridge cases have a manufacturer's mark of some sort on them, so that may need to be altered/deleted in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Lads I am in cork and have some 223 and 308(well actually 7.62mm) casings from previous trips to the range. Would it be ok for me to give a spent 7.62 or 5.56 to this guy? Anyone have any reasons why this might be illegal? They are spent so I just use them for decoration on a shelf. I'd be willing to give the guy one if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Rovi wrote: »
    Also, as this sounds like it's for a commercial project, would there be copyright issues with showing a manufacturer's logo on the case?
    Pretty much all cartridge cases have a manufacturer's mark of some sort on them, so that may need to be altered/deleted in some way.

Good point, you may not be able to use it. If you were to find a case produced by a company not in existance anymore you would be okay though.

Post on the militaria sub-forum of antiques and collectables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kowloon wrote: »
    Good point, you may not be able to use it. If you were to find a case produced by a company not in existance anymore you would be okay though.
    A bit of Photoshoppery would fix any copyright issues, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Millitary Ammo only shows a code on the head. Usually a initial to signify the factory of manufacture and a number to show date of production. Empty cases of this type are readliy available in most army surplus type outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

if i were you i would look in some army surples stores. ive seen belts of empty cardriges for sale, thought no .45 calibur ones, good luck

Advertisement