Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low on the socio-economic ladder would you go?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well drug dealers would be out for me and probably taxi men, crime lords, i would have to say no too

i couldnt careless what area someone comes from or what job they do, as long as they have a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Looks aren't that important to me. I personally wouldn't like to be with someone where looks were are that high up on the priority list.
    At least money affects the quality of your lifestyle.
    TBH I couldn't commit to a person who's passion, (even if it was for saving babies in Africa etc). Meant that we couldn't afford a home and family of our own. Unless I funded it. Because I wouldn't feel that we had a partnership with common goals.

That's a good point. I'm not saying looks are 'that' important to me but to some extent they are, like with most people I guess.

oh, not a politician either.

Dudess wrote: »
    Moonbaby, are you asking whether we'd be concerned about where the person's from etc, or how ambitious they are?

I'm interested in what is important to the individual.
    I hope that people won't get judged for their own preferences.
    Because as pointed out by the height thread. We all have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Predhead wrote: »
    What if you could afford to pay for both of you? Or would you expect him to? I wouldn't mind paying for my other half if that was the case.

Well my other half, yes. We met on equal terms, economic-wise. If I won the lotto tomorrow and could support him I would.

If I was single and just met someone who didn't earn a lot of money I would find that difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Malari wrote: »
    Well my other half, yes. We met on equal terms, economic-wise. If I won the lotto tomorrow and could support him I would.

If I was single and just met someone who didn't earn a lot of money I would find that difficult.

Yeah I know what you mean. Although I prefer to pay for stuff when I'm out with my gf, I like knowing that she could pay also, but I wouldn't be too bothered either way.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Drift wrote: »
    The "outrage" at such a shallow question is laughable considering the responses to the thread regarding mens height. Turning down someone solely based on their bank account is seen as terrible but yet it seems acceptable to turn down someone based solely on their height!
    I didnt even go near that thread, so I havent commented either way. But I get that the tone on that must be a bit lighter?

I started off on a pretty low rung of the ladder myself. Ive done ok, but I know what it feels like to be down there looking up at wealthier people. Perhaps thats why I dont ever judge people by what they have, That said, an idiot is still an idiot, rich or poor, and thats what would influence me more than finances or their job.

Some of my friends who are truly interesting and smart people, live in caravans. Through choice :) Im glad that I didnt let prejudice or a set limit on who I associate with stop me knowing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

People will esp as they get to thier late 20s have a set standard to which they want to live thier life and havign a partner who doesn't get this causes all sorts of strive.

This doesn't have to mean having money for a champers weekend away evert other month, it can be as simple as not living from pay day to pay day, actually saving for things instead of maxing out credit cards and wanting to make home improvements or being able to go out to dinner some where nice to dinner once a month as a couple.

Love and lust being all that matters changes when people start growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Exactly. But why do I get the feeling a small contingent of posters will charge in and accuse those of us who'd prefer someone with a bit of ambition of being superficial and only looking for a rich guy etc. :rolleyes:

As for the background thing though: if a girl meets a great guy who's self-sufficient and in a secure job but she gets put off by him coming from Finglas or whatever, then she's a silly bint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Thaedydal wrote:
    Love and lust being all that matters changes when people start growing up.
    "Buzzkill, thy name is Thaedydal."

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    This doesn't have to mean having money for a champers weekend away evert other month,

Oh i remember the days when i wouldnt think twice about buying a bottle or two of pipers or moet, just to sit in and watch telly.

them were the days **sigh**

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Er, I tend not to question a prospective suitor on their financial situation. It's pretty irrelevant imo.

And thus, Thaedydal's and others' point arises: of course it doesn't matter a sh1t when you're 21.

Give it ten years and you will consider it relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Exactly. But why do I get the feeling a small contingent of posters will charge in and accuse those of us who'd prefer someone with a bit of ambition of being superficial and only looking for a rich guy etc. :rolleyes:

+1 Ridiculous tbh.

For me, being able to get on and make each other laugh is the most important thing, but ambition is up there for me. I find ambitious men incredibley sexy. When they have a passion about something, I've said it before - its quite inspiring.

I'd rather have met them at the start of their venture though. Some men tend to get a bit big-headed and thats an ugly trait.

And thus, Thaedydal's and others' point arises: of course it doesn't matter a sh1t when you're 21.

Still 20 ;)

Even still, obviously at my age it's not an issue and I have no financial ties or restrictions to any bf I may have, but I'm speaking in general, regardless of what age I may be, a guy with a bulging wallet has never aroused any sort of interest in me. I have friends who say "You're lying, deep down you know you'll marry someone with lots of money and a big car"....and I have never been so incensed and offended by a comment in my entire life.

Papillon87 wrote: »
    I'm speaking in general, regardless of what age I may be, a guy with a bulging wallet has never aroused any sort of interest in me.
    But a bulging wallet is a different story to being self sufficient and having a secure permanent job with some level of prospects. That isn't the same as being rich but at least there's security, financial stability there, and he can fend for himself.
    I wouldn't have even the remotest interest in a guy who flashes the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

maybe the reason rich guys get hot ladies is because they do tend to exude a real confidence, I guess. Plus well paid jobs are very often jobs that carry quite a bit of power with them, which the chicks dig :p

But a bulging wallet is a different story to being self sufficient and having a secure permanent job with some level of prospects. That isn't the same as being rich but at least there's security, financial stability there, and he can fend for himself.
    I wouldn't have even the remotest interest in a guy who flashes the cash.

Yeah, I take your point. I wouldn't want to be with a waster/sponger I guess! However I just meant that having lots and lots of money.....meh.....good for him, but it certainly wouldn't make me look twice at a guy I otherwise had no interest in....which I think some girls are guilty of (see: my friends :eek: )

And yes, I agree with you. Flashing the cash just leaves me cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Abigayle wrote: »
    For me, being able to get on and make each other laugh is the most important thing, but ambition is up there for me. I find ambitious men incredibley sexy.
    Quite understandible really since it relates back to evolutionary drives:
    ambition = desire to acquire higher standing and wealth = improving mating prospects for any offspring produced = improving odds of survival of the genetic line.

Can't say I've any real ambition myself though I must admit...
    (know this is not a quote I should really admit to knowing but what the hell)
    "My expectation in life is to be invisible, and I'm good at it."
    Or at least I was until some work stuff started forcing me in to a position that people are now aware of me. I know it improves chances of a better job and such by having some standing in the industry, but.... :(
    I just want enough to get by, someday own my own place, and be able to afford a little extra (gifts for family & friends at birthdays and xmas, the odd book/cd/dvd/game to keep me amused/=), beyond that I'm not really bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

The problem with socio-economic status is that it's always linked with other elements of your lifestlye. For example I'm attracted to intelligent, ambitious girls; due to these facets of their personalities it's unlikely they'll be long term unemployed.

I also agree with what Thae says. From a practical point of view most of us get to a stage where we're considering potential partners from a serious commitment perspective. In my case if I was looking to settle down with someone I'd much rather a girl that knows how to save money for bigger future plans rather than spend every penny of her wages on mad sessions every weekend. When relationships get to a certain point there will always be economic concerns.

Background is a different issue. Provided a person is a genuine and has a good character I don't care how many en-suite bedrooms are in their parents house!

So while I think there are very few of us who would decide on a partner based strictly on their socio-economic status; it will be linked to such a degree with all other aspects of their personality that there will be a link between who we chose to date and their socio-economic status.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

farohar wrote: »
    I just want enough to get by, someday own my own place, and be able to afford a little extra (gifts for family & friends at birthdays and xmas, the odd book/cd/dvd/game to keep me amused/=), beyond that I'm not really bothered.

That is an ambition. In my book ambition doesn't necessarily mean wanting to be the richest man in the world. My own ambitions are to settle down to married life with a wife and kids and have enough money to support a comfortable life for us. (In due course needless to say, bit young for it yet ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

irishbird wrote: »
    well drug dealers would be out for me and probably taxi men , crime lords, i would have to say no too

i couldnt careless what area someone comes from or what job they do, as long as they have a job

lol

Drift wrote: »
    The problem with socio-economic status is that it's always linked with other elements of your lifestlye. For example I'm attracted to intelligent, ambitious girls; due to these facets of their personalities it's unlikely they'll be long term unemployed.

So while I think there are very few of us who would decide on a partner based strictly on their socio-economic status; it will be linked to such a degree with all other aspects of their personality that there will be a link between who we chose to date and their socio-economic status.

Very well said! I can apply the same to myself and the type of men I find attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thankfully I'm tall and I'm loaded ;)

Quite understandible really since it relates back to evolutionary drives:
    ambition = desire to acquire higher standing and wealth = improving mating prospects for any offspring produced = improving odds of survival of the genetic line.

Thankfully times have changed in that women have the capacity to create a lifestyle for themselves. But to clarify my angle on the ambition thing; take money and career out of the equation - and replace it with a hobby of some sort, Id still feel the same. Be it taking part in a football match, a chess competition, painting, <insert hobby here> . When someone is passionate about what they do, its pretty exciting to watch. :)
    Zulu wrote: »
    lol

Thankfully times have changed in that women have the capacity to create a lifestyle for themselves.
    Yes, but it is best if both partners are working towards this goal so as to maximise the available resources for rearing offspring. Sorry if you thought I was trying to imply a woman needs a man to provide for her so she can have kids, I can be bad at explaining at times.
    But to clarify my angle on the ambition thing; take money and career out of the equation - and replace it with a hobby of some sort, Id still feel the same. Be it taking part in a football match, a chess competition, painting, <insert hobby here> . When someone is passionate about what they do, its pretty exciting to watch. :)
    Still improves social standing and thereby the standing which the offspring may hold as a result of being that person's offspring. It's effectively the attempt to rise to the position of alpha male in the tribe within this one hobby, just as the attempt to rise to the top of the management chain in the work place can be a similar way of marking oneself the alpha male within that group.
    Still, part of me can't help but hope you just enjoy watching them enjoy themselves...:o

/makes a beeline for KYN...

He's not there - damn! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

What the hell is KYN???

What the hell is KYN???

Know Your Nerds, it's a thread where folks post pics of themselves akin to the lads/ladies of the ladies lounge threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054892994

• Advertisement

Still, part of me can't help but hope you just enjoy watching them enjoy themselves...:o

Lol.. thats always fun too :p
    Sorry if you thought I was trying to imply a woman needs a man to provide for her so she can have kids, I can be bad at explaining at times.

No, not at all. I was just throwing the line out there. I kind of did the opposite tbh. I'd a situation where I had only started seeing someone, when another ..came along :/ Its either a feast or a famine isnt it? :D

Well the story went like one of those films. The girl meets loveable loyal poor guy, then she meets guy with similar interests but verrrry well established career-wise and financially. He was quite a serious guy tbh, and thats where I couldnt relate. If I had a not so great day, it wasnt worth having a little moan about - because the job which he did was far far far more stressful than mine. Lol -Im not saying I need someone to have a round-the-clock winge with, but you do need to be able to vent and have someone sympathise and understand. But anyway the girl went for heart rather than head.

Dont regret it one bit either. :)

Advertisement