Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low on the socio-economic ladder would you go?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I take your point. It's far more subtle than a sentence will allow. The definition of social value would include things like intelligence, compassion, looks, resources(financial and otherwise), age, health, status etc. I was just saying that when all those balance out in a successful couple you tend to find they're pretty equal. A clumsy example would be a very pretty woman with a very wealthy man who may not be so attractive to look at.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Abigayle wrote: »
    Au contraire, you are the richest person I know. :)

Most high-earning jobs carry high stress along with it. But the cost of living has most of us fighting for all we can get in order scrape by, and cuts badly into our own personal time. The choice has been removed for a lot of people :/

Any jobs goin'? :pac:

ha, you know what i meant :D

well, like i say, we're barely scraping by. the 'choice' is still there for most people, unless you've kids you gotta keep going, but seriously, if we leave clothes on the floor for a week, they *will* grow mould on them. on the news a bit lately about how winter kills off so many people over here, respiratory illnesses are well associated with cold/damp houses, and, like i've said... we can expect our glasses of water to freeze overnight beside our beds :/

it's a struggle to eat healthy on our budgets, it's a struggle to pay the bills,and it's a struggle to keep our health at any sort of good way. when you consider you could buy about 5litres of cola for the price of a litre of milk... i enjoy my job, i love my life with my fella, and i love my surfing,a nd the people i've met through that, but ****, there are times i'd almost jack it all in, just for a stress free week, without counting pennies and worrying about the consequences.

sorry, im rambling.. just feeling the pinch a lot lately, trying to put money away for my ireland trip and stuff :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

ha, you know what i meant :D

well, like i say, we're barely scraping by. the 'choice' is still there for most people, unless you've kids you gotta keep going, but seriously, if we leave clothes on the floor for a week, they *will* grow mould on them. on the news a bit lately about how winter kills off so many people over here, respiratory illnesses are well associated with cold/damp houses, and, like i've said... we can expect our glasses of water to freeze overnight beside our beds :/

it's a struggle to eat healthy on our budgets, it's a struggle to pay the bills,and it's a struggle to keep our health at any sort of good way. when you consider you could buy about 5litres of cola for the price of a litre of milk... i enjoy my job, i love my life with my fella, and i love my surfing,a nd the people i've met through that, but ****, there are times i'd almost jack it all in, just for a stress free week, without counting pennies and worrying about the consequences.

sorry, im rambling.. just feeling the pinch a lot lately, trying to put money away for my ireland trip and stuff :/

Pay is really bad in New Zealand isn't it? I remember taking a massive cut in pay to go and work there. But I lived in a relatively low cost part of the country, plus I got an "accomodation allowance" from my job, so I actually managed to save some cash while I was there.

But if you're anywhere near Auckland it can be really expensive, and the wages are pretty low.

Interestingly, where I lived it was pretty uncommon to see the (usual wealthier) caucasian population dating the poorer Maori people. I'm not sure this was entirely cultural either, as the 2 communities seemed to mix well otherwise.

Dunno what it was like elsewhere though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not really sure about the designation socio-economic.

I'm from a so-called deprived socio-economic background and I have never been attracted to ignorant or inert people.

Nor do I see the attraction in a partner who doesn't want to have a job.

However, I have never factored in the simple fact of a person's education, accent or background when I was looking for a partner. You can find intelligence, compassion and charisma in any 'class'.

My friends (and partner) are now from a very broad social mix, some from my childhood; some from work and some from University.

That said: I understand what the poster meant when they said that people with similar experiences are 'level'. I'm probably more empathetic to people from a similar background and experience to me.

It also pointless to say that money doesn't matter as you get older. I don't mean extreme wealth, but having your own space/house, having a relatively well-paid job where you can use your brain and be respected; taking holidays, and having a safe environment in which to bring up your kid is very important to me. You obviously factor this into your choice of partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Love and lust being all that matters changes when people start growing up.
    Aw, man... I've only 10 years of life left. *tear
    Dudess wrote: »
    And thus, Thaedydal's and others' point arises: of course it doesn't matter a sh1t when you're 21.

Give it ten years and you will consider it relevant.
    That's what sucks about getting old ;)

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I will be earning enough to live the life I want to live by the time I'm 30. I have no interest in funding someone else's lifestyle, nor having a lifestyle funded by someone else, so I wouldn't be interested in a sponger or particularly care if they're earning much more than me.

At the end of the day I think intelligence and independence are the two main traits I'd be looking for in a partner. Socio-Economic background wouldn't come into it, though with the above two traits, I think the likelihood is that they'd be earning a decent wage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Does not matter where you are brought up
    Its how you are brought up
    IF your parents thought you to have repect for yourself, considersation for others, manners and knowing right from wrong. The rest should not matter

I understand myself to know, I can be shallow. But I am aware of this fact, so Im not totally ingornant or arogant of my actions and words. But I have done ALOT of further education so I will not accept less than what I am worth - experience, education, skills etc. I am a hard worker, so even if I did end up 'pennyless' it wouldnt be for long.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Pay is really bad in New Zealand isn't it? I remember taking a massive cut in pay to go and work there. But I lived in a relatively low cost part of the country, plus I got an "accomodation allowance" from my job, so I actually managed to save some cash while I was there.

But if you're anywhere near Auckland it can be really expensive, and the wages are pretty low.

Interestingly, where I lived it was pretty uncommon to see the (usual wealthier) caucasian population dating the poorer Maori people. I'm not sure this was entirely cultural either, as the 2 communities seemed to mix well otherwise.

Dunno what it was like elsewhere though.

im down in christchurch, and as a matter of curiosity, how much is 'low cost'? and yep, notice a lot more maoris and islanders living in teh generally dodgier areas, and though everyone seems to mix pretty well together (street gangs excluded), i dont think ive noticed too many mixed relationships around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Wow, this thread is deep. Any chicks wanna go and hang with me in my penthouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

im down in christchurch, and as a matter of curiosity, how much is 'low cost'? and yep, notice a lot more maoris and islanders living in teh generally dodgier areas, and though everyone seems to mix pretty well together (street gangs excluded), i dont think ive noticed too many mixed relationships around the place.

Well, I lived in the north island. My housemate and I paid 125 dollars each per week rent on a lovely big house within walking distance of town. I used to get free meals in the canteen at work, too, which helps. I had a lot of money saved in my bank account when I left, and that was without even trying to save. Plus I used to go away most weekends. I took a massive paycut to go there, but my standard of living was better than I'd ever had previously.
    Wow, this thread is deep. Any chicks wanna go and hang with me in my penthouse?

Hey, I'll go gay for you if u have a penthouse :p

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Well, I lived in the north island. My housemate and I paid 125 dollars each per week rent on a lovely big house within walking distance of town. I used to get free meals in the canteen at work, too, which helps. I had a lot of money saved in my bank account when I left, and that was without even trying to save. Plus I used to go away most weekends. I took a massive paycut to go there, but my standard of living was better than I'd ever had previously.

niiiiiice. we're paying $95 each per week for a two bed flat that's built on top of a couple of garages. have to bus into town (or a 45ish min walk), but free milo/tea/coffee at work :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement