Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

but his concern with overcrowding was that people drop in on eachother, people litter, people damage the natural landscape/environment by parking wherever they feel like etc and he seems to feel that this will only increase with the publication of a map.

Clutching straws TBH. I think a community that accepts people who will threaten violence against others a bigger issue. Do a large number of surfers like to litter and damage the environment? Maybe you should be addressing that rather then just rejecting people into the pasttime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What, you couldnt find the sea before this?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its over there --->

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    Oh and DeV, I wonder where the poker community (and yourself :p)would be today if those who played it before took such an attitude as the "elite surfers" we've witnessed here.
    Well I for one will continue to keep my location secret because if DeVore ever comes to play poker here,we'll all probably lose an awfull lot of money :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The threats against a moderator are an attack on the very institutions of this web site. To allow them to stand unchallenged would be to undermine the very existence of this site. As much as the surfers seek to protect there community, we seek to protect ours.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Funny thing is that the Poker community is kinda going through something similar with established players (and some who are know-it-all johnny-come-latelys) are rude to people who play poorly.

Why anyone would be rude to someone who is effectively paying your rent is beyond me but .... :^/

The issue is the same though, existing established people who want dominance over newbies. :(

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DeVore wrote: »
    Why anyone would be rude to someone who is effectively paying your rent is beyond me but ....

You sound like Barry Greenstein there.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

My outdoor pursuits are limited to scuba diving, kayaking and hillwalking and I have never experienced anything other than a willingness to share information on good locations by others who share a passion for these activities. This is regardless of the fact that the major attraction of these pastimes is the solitude!! I find the attitude of those who wish to keep information on the location and layout of these 'secret sites' to themselves arrogant and puerile in the extreme!! Cop yourselves on!!

• Advertisement

Gosh, I wish I played like him..... one of the best ever!

I think our institutions may survive this brutal assault Boston. :) It may even have produced something good in the creation of that map!

I think we need to be clear that some assh*le surfers got shirtie and have been smacked back hard. I dont think this should be Boards vs Surfers, but the ISA is going to have to do something a lot more radical or this sort of thing is going to become ever more common and when/if if goes drastically badly and someone gets knifed in the water or some crap like that, then you can kiss your freestyle surfing goodbye when the big guns get involved and decide to "regulate" your industry, create surf licenses and corral you into "designated areas".

Lets see how tough our Kerry friends are against the guards, of course the rest of you will get tarred with them, but then... thats what happens when you stand beside them.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I know climbers often keep a good spot secret initially so that they can develop it and then publicise it thus getting all the credit for expanding the knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

vegaluca wrote: »
    A picture of fuzzie had been posted with his personal details and used in the context that I (vegaluca) was outed (my name) by a derogatory slam by cpho1 and a mod had no problem with my name being slammed on the site.
    To clarify Paudie - your personal details are on the web, and appear on the very first google link that one would get if searching for your surf club.

That's why I said it's not a problem - because you had already given your information and posted it freely up onto the web.

The fact that someone had made a derogatory comment against you isn't relevant to me, as I don't moderate feedback. I wouldn't necessarily expect you to know that if you'd never been here before, but I'm happy that I made my first point clear.

Someone of course decided to ignore what I said and interpret it as, "Everyone's personal details are fair game". I would recommend that any forums of which you guys are moderators/administrators, familiarise yourselves with the data protection act.

Private messages have an expectation of privacy. Although I said I don't moderate here, I've removed the PM from your post until someone decides I should put it back, or vegaluca gives his permission to have it posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

seamus wrote: »
    Private messages have an expectation of privacy. Although I said I don't moderate here, I've removed the PM from your post until someone decides I should put it back, or vegaluca gives his permission to have it posted.

Ive put it back in, its relevant to the topic. People are getting abused on this site by people from other sites like LBI and the Kerry surf club. I dont see why this should be protected? If someone is sending someone abuse by private message it should not be covered up. Im not breaking any board rules either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 roofrack

I use Boards.ie and it is a great resoure however I am disguisted by the moderators actions and comments on this issue. Articulated Verbal abuse is as bad as a blunt threat. You are acting like spoilt children, you are not surfers, you do not understand the issues the surf community is facing, you are laughing in their faces saying this is the way its going to be and there is nothing you can do about it. You say, no further discussion on this - but this is a Discussion forum, people will air their point of view, whether its to a moderators liking or not.

I would just like to add one comment about the map, because when I browsed through some of the coments I read that one of the main reasons to keep it up was for safety.

I would say the as far as my Local surfing beach is concerned this Map's detail is inaccurate. The map states for my local beach:
    "Perfect shaped beach. Lots of NW/W swell reaches here. very quiet"
    The author forgets to mention the big rip that runs straight throught the middle of the beach and has taken many lives. I have seen surfers and kyakers pull beginners out of the water every summer for the last 3 years. If it were not for these local surfers who knows what would have happened, maybe many more would have met their maker. This picture is in complete contrast to the Nazi Surfers I have read about on this forum, so please remember not to tar all surfers with the same brush.

I would argue that anyone can create a google map of this type, but not everyone has the local knowledge for every spot on the Island. For this map to be any good the information given should be accurate, and by all accounts the information is sparse and lacking in detail. As far as I can see all the map is good for is showing people how to get to places to surf, and maybe this is why surfers are getting angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I see G23 is bailing without answering my points. :^/

Dude, it was the middle of the night and I had to be up for work at 5.30 this morning!!

I am happy to answer any of the points you have made but I'm busy in work for the next few hours at least.

I'm just wondering if I'm sorta wasting my time though ... your mind seems to be fairly firmly made up, so is anything I say going to have any effect? I tend not to waste time arguing with someone who cant be converted :D Look at it this way, if someone who knew nothing about snowboarding was doing something that you (and many others in the snowboarding community) believed was going to put both you and other snowboarders in harms way, what would you do? Would you sit quietly and do nothing or would you stand up for what you believe in?

Its also difficult to address any of your points when I'm being accused of trolling and negative attitudes among other things (and when I asked for these accusations to be supported they could not be). I have put a lot of time and effort into this thread, and I have tried to be clear and reasonable at all times. I have not insulted anyone and I've been as respectful as possible at all times. Its sorta difficult to have a decent conversation under those conditions.

The main points in this debate here have allready been made and re-made. My position is clear. What the 2 lads are doing is ill-conceived and potentially dangerous. I dont believe anyone here thinks they have any real interest in surfer safety ... they are clearly only interested in the map because it provides a way to slap down those surfers who have attacked this community. They are now in genuine danger of producing a map that is incomplete and dangerous, but will be relied on by people who do not know its full history and the primary motivations of the lads. This is not a situation that should be supported by anyone here.

How are we putting you in harms way G23?

Please also reply to my previous questions.

DeV.

Roofrack... Which do you think is better?

A fully expanded map with all the local info and a difficulty index.

or

No map.

DeV.
    ps: I'm AFK now for a good few hours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Ive put it back in, its relevant to the topic. People are getting abused on this site by people from other sites like LBI and the Kerry surf club. I dont see why this should be protected? If someone is sending someone abuse by private message it should not be covered up. Im not breaking any board rules either.

You are breaking a rule. Private messages are private, you need the senders permission to post their PMs on a public forum.
    I'll ban you if you do it again.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've removed it again.

Don't post private messages in public without the consent of the other recipient. Operative word here is "private". It's not being "covered up", I'm more than happy to have it posted, provided that Paudie consents.

And I wouldn't call it abusive. I've been more offended by my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This has got to be the longest thread with "No further discussion on this" in the title anywhere on the internet.

And we're still going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

roofrack wrote: »
    I would say the as far as my Local surfing beach is concerned this Map's detail is inaccurate. The map states for my local beach:
    The author forgets to mention the big rip that runs straight throught the middle of the beach and has taken many lives.

So PM Rb with this information and have it added to the map giving people due warning if they decide to go there.

The map exists, so surfers may as well cooperate and help prevent people from going in over their heads.

Yeah, I've removed it again.

Don't post private messages in public without the consent of the other recipient. Operative word here is "private". It's not being "covered up", I'm more than happy to have it posted, provided that Paudie consents.

And I wouldn't call it abusive. I've been more offended by my dog.

I wasnt offended in the slightest as you righly say my dog causes me more offence on a daily basis the pup! To say however that it make **** all sense to me was an understatement. I posted it merely to hightlight that a member of the ISA and chairman of the Kerry surf club was hardly showering himself in glory throughout this situation. It was intimated that his mates had done donuts in my parents garden, hardly the type of snide comment that is befitting of someone who is meant to be representing the sport of surfing on behalf of the countrys governing body???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was intimated (implied?) that his mates had done donuts in my parents garden, hardly the type of snide comment that is befitting of someone who is meant to be representing the sport of surfing on behalf of the countrys governing body???

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

The author forgets to mention the big rip that runs straight throught the middle of the beach and has taken many lives.

Got a location and/or Grid Reference there for that important bit of safety information without which it's absolutely useless?

It was intimated that his mates had done donuts in my parents garden, hardly the type of snide comment that is befitting of someone who is meant to be representing the sport of surfing on behalf of the countrys governing body???
    Well, it says a lot about the kind of people he knows, but if we were to judge everyone by the company they keep, then most of us would be in prison by now.

You also have to remember that this is Kerry. Like Donegal, it's something of a rogue state. People's "front gardens" could be a one acre empty field half a mile down the road. So doing donuts in the field isn't frowned upon or seen as an act of scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

How are we putting you in harms way G23?

Please also reply to my previous questions.

I didnt say anyone was putting me in harms way ... the example was about snowboarding ... apologies if this was not clear.

DeV, I am happy to answer all your previous questions, but as I said its difficult under these circumstances in feedback, and I'm in work. Also, if I do answer will it have any effect or is your mind made up at this stage?

If your still open to hear what I have to say with an open mind, could you please give me the luxury of a few hours at least to get back to you? I'm in very busy today and have a lot on ... I'll keep an eye on this thread, but wont have the time to give your questions the time they deserve till much later (maybe even tomorrow morning).

Thanks,
    G23

Well, it says a lot about the kind of people he knows, but if we were to judge everyone by the company they keep, then most of us would be in prison by now.

You also have to remember that this is Kerry. Like Donegal, it's something of a rouge state. People's "front gardens" could be a one acre empty field half a mile down the road. So doing donuts in the field isn't frowned upon or seen as an act of scumbags.

:D Next time they go doing it i want to come along!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

You also have to remember that this is Kerry. Like Donegal, it's something of a rouge state. .

****ing commies.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement