Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

6th wrote: »
    They should be made mods now though!
    be careful what you wish for! :D
    Gordon wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I dont think a comparison has been made yet between boards users that are surfing the net for fun and board users that are surfing over nets for fun. If this hasn't been pointed out already I would like to make this point. /waves to everyone
    javaboy wrote: »
    Yeah there were a few bad puns a while back on that theme.
    But none quite so bad as Gordon's ... I can't even best (worst?) him when he gets into his stride!

Seriously, did someone say that the ISA actually refused to host an international event for fear that these jealously guarded "sekrit spots" would become common knowledge? Is that actually true? If it is, what the hell gives them the right (as a supposedly national governing body for a sport) to refuse to host an event which could do so much to promote that sport in this country, and indeed this country to the surfing fraternity worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know Roundy pointed out the irony first, but I think it's funny that such a controversy has erupted on Boards. :cool:

Also, way to go with the 'no discussion' rule!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

LBi and KerrySurfKunts strike again. Well done lads!

I don't wish to keep my local spots secret, and if you ask I will tell, but I do rely on secrecy by obscurity. And due to the actions of a few in kerry, the rest of the countrys spots are now in the spotlight!

Didn't you learn what would happen with the st.finians thread from last year or have ya bounced your heads of a few reefs too many?

I really hope that the ISA show up in this thread and start to get some decent imput in to this thread, there have been many good points made in this thread, by surfers, sailors and devs alike. Dev's right about the nature of the net, which why I make the point of not being a dick and enjoying the obscurity of what you have rather then getting your back up and making a big hulabulo about it, hence destroying what secrecy you had.

Rb and Boston, Im sure its all and fine of you to be on your high horses until somebody comes along with total disregard for something you love and ignore what you think on the issue. Bar the personal threats your as bad the few asshats how started this all off.

You say you won't be bullied, what someones gonna call round to your ip and beat you with their epeen, you'll be zerg rushed by a bunch of Irate Koreans, or worse still someone will ambush your wow funeral.......yeah the internets a nasty place alright, best hide behind the keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You Suck! wrote: »
    Rb and Boston, Im sure its all and fine of you to be on your high horses until somebody comes along with total disregard for something you love and ignore what you think on the issue. Bar the personal threats your as bad the few asshats how started this all off.

They only tried to engage in a discussion with us after the demands and the the threats. We didn't disregard what they thought, they never saw why they would have to explain the situation to us. Its the rules everywhere else isn't good enough.
    You say you won't be bullied, what someones gonna call round to your ip and beat you with their epeen, you'll be zerg rushed by a bunch of Irate Koreans, or worse still someone will ambush your wow funeral.......yeah the internets a nasty place alright, best hide behind the keyboard.

Or, i don't know, someone might post up our pictures, names and home addresses. Everything we've done is a reaction to threats from the surfing community. There are still further steps which can be taken if needs be.

They only tried to engage in a discussion with us after the demands and the the threats. We didn't disregard what they thought, they never saw why they would have to explain the situation to us. Its the rules everywhere else isn't good enough.

Yeah, and their a minority of well established knob ends. I was there last year too when they made gobshítes of themselves. Why should it be that you should have to respond in a way that effects the majority for the sake of a misiscule group in a sport that you have nothing to do with?
    Surely Fuzzy or Someone else should be the one to carry the flag here?
    Or, i don't know, someone might post up our pictures, names and home addresses. Everything we've done is a reaction to threats from the surfing community. There are still further steps which can be taken if needs be.

That information is available only if you have surrendered it unto the web. It's hardly as if those ejits have access to the garda and government databases or a crack squad of private detectives. That said, if Fuzzys info was derived from more insidious means, I would be intrested to hear as the original thread has been removed.

Furthermore a group of retards down in kerry hardly qualifys as the "surfing community". The fact that you use such a term and broad generalisation leads me to question your motivations in the matter.
    There are still further steps which can be taken if needs be.
    Dynamite every break in the country ?!? :D

Providing you are alluding to legal action, yes, you are quite right, should there be an infraction of the law then there is the basis of further action.

Should you still feel so stongly after all is said and done, might I suggest you reveal the seckret spots of the owners of this site:
    http://www.redwatch.org.uk/ulster1.html

• Advertisement

Edited by request.

I don't know where the address came from but the suggestion is that it came from the records of a surfing club, at least thats what I inferred by vegalucas comment that it was in retaliation to his name being posted.

If that's the case then the ISA should become involved and serious action taken about the matter. There might be legal implications also should that be the matter.

Regards secret spots, I cannot express how retarded the behaviour of the kerry crowd has been.

I don't buy in to localism, but I do argue for secrecy by obscurity, by way of the following. I am from West Galway from an area where the economy is predominantly tourist driven and it is from a lifetimes experiance of disregard and lack of empathy from a percentage of tourists that I really don't like the industry as a whole. Not to say that people aren't welcome to my neck of the woods nor are all tourists dicks, just that the downsides can really grate on you sometimes.

I would extend this to surfing somewhat, where it is a better system that people come to your spot by word of mouth from people who see that person enquiring is not an arrogant tosspot(hopefully the person being asked isn't an ahole either ;) ). That to me is probably what the "secret spot" philosophy that exists in world surfing should embody.
    I don't own the beach, and should you find it or ask me, your more then welcome should you be decent and have respect. Think of it as travel off the beaten path.

It's a philosophy that should apply to both surfing and tourism: Respect the locals*.

* Of course that dosn't mean that the locals have the right to be ásshats either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd agree with you on the security by obscurity thing - if you have found a special spot, keep it quiet all you want. Same way you might a restaurant you really love. Better you do it, longer it'll stay that way. But if you arrive one day to find the restaurant full, there's little point in standing up on the table, shouting at everyone to listen to you, and telling them NOT TO TELL ANY OF THEIR MATES because its bad etiquette. You have every right to be annoyed, but there's feck all you can really do.

But if you arrive one day to find the restaurant full, there's little point in standing up on the table, shouting at everyone to listen to you, and telling them NOT TO TELL ANY OF THEIR MATES because its bad etiquette. You have every right to be annoyed, but there's feck all you can really do.

:D

Your analogy fit's in more ways then one, after the fit on the restaurant table the local paper leads with the headline "man restrained in favorite restaurant screaming don't tell anyone!", next thing the whole town is in on the restaurant. :D

This is what the instigators of this whole incident just did, instead of waiting until the thread with the seckret spot fell off the front page of the forum they jumped on the table and now we have a fine bouncing 27 page thread to show for it. Had they been creative, they could have bumped it off the front page over the course of a few days by creating some valid threads of their own, but no :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

By the way, regarding the "no discussion" thing... I think you will find that Vexorg HASNT discussed it. I have because

1. I'm an argumentative git.

2. I like to try and fix things.

But I wouldnt hold your breath for Vex to get back involved.

Anyway, I've put forward my position and my suggestions for the future. Normally I charge for that kind of advice believe it or not :):)

I'm curious though.... Does the ISA get funding from our tax euros?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

They are partially funded from our tax euros through the Irish Sports Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

DeVore wrote: »

Yes.

A quick search showed that, at the very least, it received £600 in 1986 and £25,300 in 1998

I'll do some more digging. A FoI request might not go astray and if necessary I can get a Parliamentary Question asked very easily.

Edit: over €50,000 in 2004.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks. Someone is taking home a chunk of change....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

If any wrongdoing or negligence is found on behalf of the ISA, I'm sure Minister Cullen would be delighted to hear about it.

RuggieBear wrote: »

+ €12000 = €83,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Antithetic wrote: »
    If any wrongdoing or negligence is found on behalf of the ISA, I'm sure Minister Cullen would be delighted to hear about it.

Where is this going? I don't think anyone here has suggested the ISA has done anything wrong? :confused:

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Where is this going? I don't think anyone here has suggested the ISA has done anything wrong? :confused:

I'm not accusing the ISA of anything, just want that to be clear. But quote
    I don't know where the address came from but the suggestion is that it came from the records of a surfing club, at least thats what I inferred by vegalucas comment that it was in retaliation to his name being posted.

If this is true, and I'm not for a moment suggesting it is, I hope Boards makes it loud and clear to Minister Cullen what our taxes are funding. I'm sure the ISA wouldn't disagree with me on that point. I further expect the ISA would/will condemn the actions taken by certain surfers on this website.

I'm not accusing the ISA of anything, just want that to be clear. But quote

If this is true, and I'm not for a moment suggesting it is, I hope Boards makes it loud and clear to Minister Cullen what our taxes are funding. I'm sure the ISA wouldn't disagree with me on that point. I further expect the ISA would/will condemn the actions taken by certain surfers on this website.

Fair point, I just wasn't sure where the allegations had come from.
    Carry on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This is getting ridiculous. I fully supported the fact that boards.ie stood by its guns but everything has gotten way out of hand. Its now being insinuated that the ISA has been guilty of some sort of wrongdoing even though nobody speaking on behalf of the ISA has had a word on the whole issue. I'm not an ISA member but its clear that nobody who has posted here has spoken on their behalf.

If somebody truly has a problem with the ISA or how it uses its funds then I suggest they present a clear argument, rather than have the name of the organisation snidely and unfairly dragged through the mud here.

I fully supported boards.ie's initial reaction to this incident but as a result of this Feedback thread everyone's coming off worse; the sport of surfing in Ireland has been unfairly tarnished to a massive degree and boards.ie's surfing forum doesn't have a hope of growing/maturing as I doubt it will ever again be frequented by a significant number of serious surfers.

DeVore: being both a longtime boards mod/member and a surfer I think I can see both sides of this issue reasonably clearly. I applaud your actions in sticking by your guns and supporting boards.ie's members and mods. But I think the point has been made. Nobody is benefitting from this thread anymore and to a lot of people it will appear that boards is just twisting the knife. In my humble opinion I think it would be a very good idea to lock the thread.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    Its now being insinuated that the ISA has been guilty of some sort of wrongdoing even though nobody speaking on behalf of the ISA has had a word on the whole issue.

If you're referring to me, you're wrong. I made clear twice I wasn't accusing the ISA of or insinuating anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you're referring to me, you're wrong. I made clear twice I wasn't accusing the ISA of or insinuating anything.

I'm referring to the last 10 or so posts in this thread. I think the tone of the thread speaks for itself. Nobody has explicitly made any allegations but the fact that the possibility the ISA has done something wrong has been strongly implied will look extremely bad to any casual reader.

I'd like to point out that neither the ISA nor anyone speaking on their behalf has said a word or has done anything wrong throughout this whole debacle. If anyone can prove otherwise, please go right ahead.

Again, I am not an ISA member. I'm just a surfer and a boards.ie member who's extremely ashamed of how this whole stupid thing is turning out.

A bit of claim for a second. I was contacted by a member of a surf club and asked to edit my comment as without proof of who was responsible for the initial outing of the moderator, his club would most likely be blamed. His request was fair enough as though I hadn't attempted to point the finger at anyone in particular I could see his fear was legitimate. Recent posts seem to support this fear as now the ISA appear to be getting the blame.

The ISA are the main body which could be viewed as being responsible for informing surfers of the dangers of surfing at certain locations. That, as far as I can see, would be the only reason they should be brought into this.

I'm referring to the last 10 or so posts in this thread. I think the tone of the thread speaks for itself. Nobody has explicitly made any allegations but the fact that the possibility the ISA has done something wrong has been strongly implied will look extremely bad to any casual reader.

I'd like to point out that neither the ISA nor anyone speaking on their behalf has said a word or has done anything wrong throughout this whole debacle. If anyone can prove otherwise, please go right ahead.

Again, I am not an ISA member. I'm just a surfer and a boards.ie member who's extremely ashamed of how this whole stupid thing is turning out.
    That's fair enough and I can see how that's construed. For the fourth time, I'm not throwing mud at the the ISA. It's a mis-construction from what I meant, but I'll still step back to show goodwill etc.

This is getting ridiculous. I fully supported the fact that boards.ie stood by its guns but everything has gotten way out of hand. Its now being insinuated that the ISA has been guilty of some sort of wrongdoing even though nobody speaking on behalf of the ISA has had a word on the whole issue. I'm not an ISA member but its clear that nobody who has posted here has spoken on their behalf.

If somebody truly has a problem with the ISA or how it uses its funds then I suggest they present a clear argument, rather than have the name of the organisation snidely and unfairly dragged through the mud here.

I fully supported boards.ie's initial reaction to this incident but as a result of this Feedback thread everyone's coming off worse; the sport of surfing in Ireland has been unfairly tarnished to a massive degree and boards.ie's surfing forum doesn't have a hope of growing/maturing as I doubt it will ever again be frequented by a significant number of serious surfers.

DeVore: being both a longtime boards mod/member and a surfer I think I can see both sides of this issue reasonably clearly. I applaud your actions in sticking by your guns and supporting boards.ie's members and mods. But I think the point has been made. Nobody is benefitting from this thread anymore and to a lot of people it will appear that boards is just twisting the knife. In my humble opinion I think it would be a very good idea to lock the thread.

I agree 100%. The point has been proven to the scumbag element involved that they cannot bully boards.ie . But I think this thread should be closed now as its getting fairly petty and off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I agree 100%. The point has been proven to the scumbag element involved that they cannot bully boards.ie . But I think this thread should be closed now as its getting fairly petty and off topic.

Agreed. I think this thread has run its course.

I think the point should be taken by the ISA that they are a publically funded body, they should be acting in the public interest and not the interest of a small few.

I don't hold them responsible for any threats or threatening actions taken. I do expect them to look into and rebuke the people involved.

But I dont want to ever hear about how we cant say what the f*ck we like and share what information we choose to. I dont care if they choose to keep stuff sekrit, I dont agree but its not my job to police it. However, if they have any sense they will keep away from Boards and particularly our users and mods.

Because, if necessary, this point can be made to people in positions of authority and you have NO idea how much of a cockfest I can and would turn this whole thing into.

We've had an impolite run in with each other. Now we are both aware of where the others stance is. Great.

Now, dont ever bother us again. And that IS the end of the discussion.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement