Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

already have.

And www.CastiesSecretSurfSpots.ie is in the pipeline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

humanji wrote: »
    Nah, I'd say Terry's post where he banned 6th got at least double that.

Yeah, I felt very unloved that week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

It places on the map have been deleted :O. My sig is useless now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

cornbb wrote: »
    Thanks for the link but the placemarks have unfortunately been removed. If anyone managed to save them perhaps they could PM them to Beruthiel as per this post
    It's ok, they're still on the KML file loaded onto that post (if you click "View in Google Earth").

Managed to save myself a copy yesterday from the google maps so everythings intact, as I'd a feeling about these guys and wanted to keep something to use against them should they act up. I hope it doesn't píss off any real, nice surfers but these guys have brought whatever happens now on themselves.

Just tried to attach it to this but it won't take KMLs, if anyone needs a copy and I'll send it on to Beru.

Edit: Just noticed you can download it straight off there by clicking View in Google Earth - Save to Desktop (rather than open in Google Earth)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Rb wrote: »
    It's ok, they're still on the KML file I loaded onto that post (if you click "View in Google Earth").

Managed to save myself a copy yesterday from the google maps so everythings intact, as I'd a feeling about these guys and wanted to keep something to use against them should they act up. I hope it doesn't píss off any real, nice surfers but these guys have brought whatever happens now on themselves.

Just tried to attach it to this but it won't take KMLs, if anyone needs a copy and I'll send it on to Beru.

That particular KML must reference online placemarks because they didn't load into Google Earth on my machine :(

But if you have them on your machine still that means you've stored them locally and can probably save a new file with placemarks intact... If so, if you could PM them to me and Beru that would be awesome! Or you might be able to attach it to a post if its zipped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'll send it on to Beru.

You're a star Rb! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Ireland/index.html

This is a decent site with details of all the main surf spots in Ireland. Very few of the spots mentioned on the google map are not mentioned on here too. It has directions photos and comments about most spots with dangers etc outlined.

Another site not as good as above is

http://www.beachwizard.com/country.asp?country=Ireland

Im all for educating newer surfers and having spots that are not real secrets available to aspiring surfers provided they are well warned and aware of potential dangers and are sensible when arriving at spots and not bring a truckload of mates with them. Real secret spots will never get near the net anyway.

Maybe this post could be included in the sticky too?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm thinking of banning anyone from the poker forum that asks for or gives strategy advice as it might make things harder for the rest of us......

These surfer dudes really were on to something.

cornbb wrote:
    That particular KML must reference online placemarks because they didn't load into Google Earth on my machine frown.gif

But if you have them on your machine still that means you've stored them locally and can probably save a new file with placemarks intact... If so, if you could PM them to me and Beru that would be awesome! Or you might be able to attach it to a post if its zipped.

Done and saved as a .kmz so have attached it to this post, hope it works this time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

These Guys in NO way represent the majority of the surfing community in Ireland, someone please gets these maps and publish them anywhere possible.

Surfing in Ireland should be something we encourage and promote, home and abroad!

No one "owns" Ireland or the surf spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

*destickies the New York megathread*

After all, we don't want anyone discovering America, do we!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

200px-Surf_Nazis.jpg

Done and saved as a .kmz so have attached it to this post, hope it works this time! :)

Still nothing appearing :( Maybe its just my copy of Google Earth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Nope, doesn't show up for me either. Rb, could you create a new google map yourself from your KMZ and then invite collaborators?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I'm not getting it either but that could just be my rather strict restrictions in work.

Next boards beers on the beach anyone?

BBOTB! I like the sound of that.

Still nothing appearing :( Maybe its just my copy of Google Earth?
    Weird. I've clicked it from the Google Earth forums and the attachment that I added here, and it's opening fine. I don't think it's just because I have them locally, as it's adding a new addition to my places and adding the spots to the map. At the moment, due to opening it so many times all the spots are coming up 4x!

If others could test it and let me know, particularly if it loads the spots a few times as I think I saved it with one or two copies of the spots opened.

Weird. I've clicked it from the Google Earth forums and the attachment that I added here, and it's opening fine. I don't think it's just because I have them locally, as it's adding a new addition to my places and adding the spots to the map. At the moment, due to opening it so many times all the spots are coming up 4x!

If others could test it and let me know, particularly if it loads the spots a few times as I think I saved it with one or two copies of the spots opened.

Nope, doesn't show up for me.

[nerd mode]I opened the file in an XML editor and there's very little there so unfortunately it looks like the placemarks aren't saved in it.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
    <Document>
      <name>Surf Breaks in Ireland</name>
      <description><![CDATA[The spots that I've surfed in Ireland.
    (2 exceptions: Aileens + Mullaghmore point)]]></description>
      <NetworkLink>
        <Link>
          <href>http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;oe=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=116418679035108261065.00044dd289371de607569&amp;output=kml</href>
        </Link>
      </NetworkLink>
    </Document>
    </kml>

There's only one thing for it Rb, clone your hard drive and send copies to everyone!

Maybe they are saved as "My Places" in the toolbar on the left? If so maybe there's a way of saving em? I dunno.

[nerd mode]I opened the file in an XML editor and there's very little there so unfortunately it looks like the placemarks aren't saved in it.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
    <Document>
      <description><![CDATA[The spots that I've surfed in Ireland.
    (2 exceptions: Aileens + Mullaghmore point)]]></description>
      <NetworkLink>
        <Link>
          <href>http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;oe=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=116418679035108261065.00044dd289371de607569&amp;output=kml</href>
        </Link>
      </NetworkLink>
    </Document>
    </kml>

There's only one thing for it Rb, clone your hard drive and send copies to everyone!

Maybe they are saved as "My Places" in the toolbar on the left? If so maybe there's a way of saving em? I dunno.
    I exported the placemarks straight from GE to the forum using the application itself,

post is Here

Could someone verify if the .kmz on that post loads alright?

Am also trying to load the placemarks onto a google map from direct import but having difficulty there too. In the left toolbar, when I enable a "place" all the spots show up, when I disable it, they disappear. Even with those I've opened directly from the browser.

Very odd, will keep playing with it, I'm sure we can get this!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

I hope it doesn't píss off any real, nice surfers but these guys have brought whatever happens now on themselves.

Of course it does. You are tarring all surfers with the same brush and ruining it for the rest of us. Do you believe all surfers agree with naming people and their personal details?

Really, have you nothing better to do? Could you all stop patting your backs and just leave it lie?

Its unfair to those of us that argued the point in fair and reasonable fashion.

The damage is done- the map is up - its spreading like wildfire and we will all see the fruits of this in time, but for now can you all please grow up and just leave it there.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

A TomTom or Garmin POI file would be useful too :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Damn, managed to get a small screeny for sig image, but when I went back to copy the link the placemarks were gone. Can we get a special sigpo dispensation for related sigs ?

Gumby wrote: »
    Of course it does. You are tarring all surfers with the same brush and ruining it for the rest of us. Do you believe all surfers agree with naming people and their personal details?

Really, have you nothing better to do? Could you all stop patting your backs and just leave it lie?

The damage is done- the map is up - its spreading like wildfire and we will all see the fruits of this in time, but for now can you all please grow up and just leave it there.

Thanks

No. If one thing is going to come out of this, it will be the most comprehensive map of surf sites in ireland

Really, have you nothing better to do?

Clean the kitchen and pack for my holiday tomorrow. Other than that, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

Boston: You dont scare me despite the overtones you choose to adopt.

The vast majority of those surfing are freely available on other surfing websites and in the stormrider guide.

People were arguing about the precedent it sets.

But hey, if it passes the time and gives you another chance for a cyber high-5 with your buddies, then please by all means...

Right I've started to take placemarks from other sites
    New map here If you want to collaborate, Pm me your gmail address.

Ok, it's allowing me to export each individual placemark, and import them onto Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It may be unfair to those surfers who are reasonable, but basically that small minority have ruined it.
    They've ensured that there is now no way in hell boards.ie will respect the "no naming" rule. While you can go on and on making various "cyber buddy" jokes and complaining about nerds and doing worthwhile stuff with one's time, you've clearly not realised just how much of an actual community boards.ie is. In general, people making real-life threats against a member of that community will end up having most of the community ensuring that whatever it is the idiot is unhappy about, is plastered all over the place and high on google rankings.

You can thank the various surfers yourself. You probably know who they are. The precedent has been set. We're now aware that it's pointless discussing this issue with surfers because they're small-minded troglodytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

"We're now aware that it's pointless discussing this issue with surfers because they're small-minded troglodytes"

That's unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

You gotta love when idiots end up having things back fire like this, instead of no-one really caring about their stupid secret spots, they make a huge issue out of something that could have been handled ALOT better.

I can't think of a much better true life example of the Classic Father Ted's "The Passion of St Tibulus". They kick up a storm trying to keep things quiet.... very clever guys, very clever indeed... LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement