Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Having met some of the peronalities and heard some of the stories about the guys on the south west coast it does not surprise me in the least. Surfers tend to have the social graces of a hippo, the personality on an autistic soccer rioter, and the a large chip on their shoulder. They are best avoided. I could guarantee you now if some random bloke from boards turned up at one of their 'secret spots' violence would ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Exar Khun wrote: »
    That's unfair.
    I know. And it's not true either. But that's the impression that's been put across and the precedent that's been set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ok I've exported each individual placemark, can make an .ace if anyone needs it.

Boston, I'm going to start importing them to this map. If there's duplicates we can get rid of them afterwards, k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Grand. I'm going offline for afew hours, you've the ability to add collaborators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Fair play RB and Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ThisSucks

So, what are we left with after all this?

An enraged surf community.
    A worthless surfing forum where anyone who was willing to share knowledge (apart from naming spots) has been banned.
    A new militant moderator who wouldn't know a surfboard if it bit him on the arse.
    A bunch of self-congratulatory nerds having a circle-jerk while building a map in order to further piss off the Irish surfing community.

Well done to one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Anti wrote: »
    Fair play RB and Boston.

Cyber high-fives all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I smell a re-reg. ^^^^

(No not Monkeyfudge. Look higher)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ThisSucks wrote: »

A worthless surfing forum where anyone who was willing to share knowledge (apart from naming spots) has been banned.
    A new militant moderator who wouldn't know a surfboard if it bit him on the arse.
    A bunch of self-congratulatory nerds having a circle-jerk while building a map in order to further piss off the Irish surfing community.

Indeed, kudos to those surfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ThisSucks

seamus wrote: »
    Indeed, kudos to those surfers.
    And to your good selves. Get rid of the surfing forum FFS. It is now a waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Cyber high-fives all round!

And a circle jerk apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And to your good selves

The **** who posted pictures and addresses publically are to blame for this.

Nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Our surfing forum will be worse off for all of this. I don't like the idea of antagonising people or alienating boards.ie's surfing forum, but in fairness you have the moron who threatened our moderator posted his personal details to thank for that. That gives you an idea of the sort of attitudes we're up against.

And to your good selves

Ah yes! I forgot the way we threatened a member of a tightly knit community and made available his photo and his address.

Must be all these magic waves from my monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

stevenmu wrote: »
    Damn, managed to get a small screeny for sig image, but when I went back to copy the link the placemarks were gone. Can we get a special sigpo dispensation for related sigs ?
    How about just small image with a link to an bigger size image? It's not like anyone can read that one anyway.
    Btw, I think boards has made its point now, no need to rub it in their faces.

javaboy wrote: »
    And a circle jerk apparently.

Again? That's like the third time today. My hand is tired.

Right, I've imported each placemark individually, can someone confirm they're appearing alright?

Map here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

An enraged surf community. About 5% of the Irish surf community is online and even less from LBI
    A worthless surfing forum where anyone who was willing to share knowledge (apart from naming spots) has been banned. Only the **** stirrers and newbies have been banned
    A bunch of self-congratulatory nerds having a circle-jerk while building a map in order to further piss off the Irish surfing community. I would say all the posturing and internet warrior syndrome being displayed by these online surf heroes is much worse, ironic for a load of internet geeks to get all high and mighty about surfing when they are barely ever at the beach themselves

That's some sterling work Rb.

I can see all the places you've added.

Little blue pins right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

"I think my confidance would fall
    right through the cracks in the floor"

Emilie Autumn

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    That's some sterling work Rb.

I can see all the places you've added.

Little blue pins right?
    Sweet! Great to hear they're showing up!

Map looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cheers Rb.

Just to check, when you click the little blue pins it should give the name of the breach along with a brief description, all that showing up fine?

Rb wrote: »
    Just to check, when you click the little blue pins it should give the name of the breach along with a brief description, all that showing up fine?

Some of them have no description, but the name and direction things are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Rb wrote: »
    Right, I've imported each placemark individually, can someone confirm they're appearing alright?

Map here

Looking good... Now if only I knew how to swim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well done guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

While that is as unfair as the previous comments painting all surfers with the same brush some elements are true.

As both a surfer and a boards member I feel uneasy about this whole scenario. Both sides are wrong and very few are right

Moderate surfers(as if i were talking about a political views) have expressed concern at naming sensitive and in some cases dangerous spots. With due cause known to people who surf and only to people who surf.

Reasonable people have expounded the merit of sharing information and knowledge free of the constraints of censors and people in a position of authority be it the government or even a cadre of chumped up surf hooligans. The great power of the internet is this freedom

Idiots have threatened each other and others appeared childish triumphalists.

Both boards and surfing have offered me so much. I am sad to see it has come to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

biko wrote: »
    Btw, I think boards has made its point now, no need to rub it in their faces.

Please?
    Your actions don't only affect the few people that have come on here acting like that.

To be honest I think both sides should be ashamed of themselves. The guys who came on demanding that the spots be taken down (which I would still prefer!) and the guys that are now just try to rub salt in the wounds. I know it's nothing to you guys, but it means a lot to a lot of people. At least call off the hounds eh?

• Advertisement

Enygma: If you'd like me to add precautions to certain spots, pm me and I'll put them in the description.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement