Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Enygma wrote: »
    Please?
    Your actions don't only affect the few people that have come on here acting like that.

To be honest I think both sides should be ashamed of themselves. The guys who came on demanding that the spots be taken down (which I would still prefer!) and the guys that are now just try to rub salt in the wounds. I know it's nothing to you guys, but it means a lot to a lot of people. At least call off the hounds eh?

For posting personal information.

Let slip the dogs of war i say !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Please?
    Your actions don't only affect the few people that have come on here acting like that.

To be honest I think both sides should be ashamed of themselves. The guys who came on demanding that the spots be taken down (which I would still prefer!) and the guys that are now just try to rub salt in the wounds. I know it's nothing to you guys, but it means a lot to a lot of people. At least call off the hounds eh?

I think the whole reaction to this situation tells the lie to that statment, however I do think the point has been made and that things should be left to settle down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Rb: I personally disagree very strongly with what you are doing so I won't be contributing. And I will no longer be contributing to the Surfing Forum either as long as the policy is to name sensitive spots. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Anti wrote: »
    For posting personal information.

Let slip the dogs of war i say !
    Don't forget threatening a prevelant member of the community/moderator with those personal details.

Prícks, they deserve anything they get as a result and if surfers are píssed, I'd suggest you take it out on these guys (who you probably know from other sites/offline).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

sensitive spots
    By this you mean places only some people know about and not others? Secret places only for those who are of a clique?

*shrugs*

If by sensitive spots you mean like, local marine life etc. that would be something totally different.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Added to sig. Nice work Rb.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Rb wrote: »
    Prícks, they deserve anything they get as a result and if surfers are píssed, I'd suggest you take it out on these guys (who you probably know from other sites/offline).

What exactly do you mean ?

That sort of talk is strangly familiar....

I agree, absolutely, nobody should have been threatened. That was awful!

But what you're doing is taking it out on every surfer that feels that spots shouldn't be named, including me, who haven't threatened anyone and who have been helpful on the surfing forum, or people who aren't involved at all.
    I suggest you take it out on those guys too, not every surfer that agrees with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

RB, I am completely anti localism, I disagree with the online bullying and I completely disagree with locals claiming ownership and exclusive rights to breaks.

But rebuilding that map, not knowing the rips, breaks, wether they are beach or reef breaks might not be a good idea. Some of them take an hour to paddle out to, local knowledge and tidal knowledge is essential for some of them.

The guy who had it up originally had warnings and suitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Please?

It's a reaction to people threatening one of their own on here. Would you not want your friends to stand by you?

And as has been said (many times) before, this info is easy to find. If a proper rating system can be thought up for these spots, it'll be a lot more beneficial to novice and pro alike. As it stands, anyone with a rudimentary knowledge on how to use the internet can fight spots and head off their without a clue as to how suitable it is for them. Life evolves, so should surfing.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    RB, I am completely anti localism, I disagree with the online bullying and I completely disagree with locals claiming ownership and exclusive rights to breaks.

But rebuilding that map, not knowing the rips, breaks, wether they are beach or reef breaks might not be a good idea. Some of them take an hour to paddle out to, local knowledge and tidal knowledge is essential for some of them.

The guy who had it up originally had warnings and suitability.
    I've literally copied everything from his previous map onto this map.

As I said above, and in the surfing forum, if anyone wants to add things to the descriptions of certain spots, safety precautions etc. Drop me or Boston a pm and it'll get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Aye there are one or two i've spotted on that which need a serious warning put beside them for safety reasons, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks RB... I will. I will also be asking you to ad a spot in Dublin and what conditions it takes to work.

(Don't worry lads, lots of room in Portmarnock!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

crash_000 wrote: »
    Aye there are one or two i've spotted on that which need a serious warning put beside them for safety reasons, IMO.

indeed, Rb a comprehensive description of each spot and the possible dangers would be needed. in fact i'm not even sure you should be adding them to the map until that's been established.

but Enygma, please see the bigger picture. the map is out, there is nothing you can do about it. but it would be far better for all and sundry if people like you were to contribute, if you really care about you're community you should be filling in peoples sparse knowledge about some these places, for everyone's safety.

but Enygma, please see the bigger picture. the map is out, there is nothing you can do about it. but it would be far better for all and sundry if people like you were to contribute, if you really care about you're community you should be filling in peoples sparse knowledge about some these places, for everyone's safety.

This is my thinking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I agree, absolutely, nobody should have been threatened. That was awful!

But what you're doing is taking it out on every surfer that feels that spots shouldn't be named, including me, who haven't threatened anyone and who have been helpful on the surfing forum, or people who aren't involved at all.
    I suggest you take it out on those guys too, not every surfer that agrees with them.

Enygma in all honesty do you reckon that there were any breaks mentioned on that map that wouldnt be known anyway by 90% of regular surfers? I wouldn't class them as secret or even sensitive spots. Im against revealing secret spots too but these kinds of spots are so remote/secret that they never even get near books/guides/internet. All the spots mentioned here are all found elsewhere easily enough.

Calling the original backlash an overreaction is an understatement and typcial of the paranoia and attitude of a lot of online surfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If anyone names the secret spot in Offaly I will kick some ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

LOL I can't believe a whole load of surfer boys are threatening violence :pac:

I reckon, if they wanna play that game, RB should rename the map "Best knacker drinkin spots in Ireland" and post it on sum kinda skanger site ( a celtic supporters site or something like that ;) )

These secluded spots would be ideal for boozing.

Then sit back and watch as carloads of blokes from tallaght, clondalkin, ballymun etc turn up in their droves with 100s of cans of white lightning for a weekend of partying in "devil's cove" or wherever.

Let's see them make death threats then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

For a thread with "No further discussion on this " there sure is a lot of discussing.:pac:

It's not those spots I'd be worried about cpoh. What about the spots that you're not telling anyone about, the ones that you're sure won't end up online?

The idea is to add to this map right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For a thread with "No further discussion on this " there sure is a lot of discussing.:pac:

Shhh we're all trolling !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

By the sounds of it, the level headed surfer guys seem to have, IMO, a legitimate concern, that being some of the more dangerous spots will be named and novices and inexperienced surfers shouldn't be out there.

While the morans just wanted to keep the info to themselves so they could enjoy these spots in private and their concern wasn't the risks to novices etc.. Well I say F those guys.

Instead how about boards.ie Surfing Forum do something really good for the Irish Surfing community, create this map, naming all the secret places, but rank them in some way so anything dangerous or where a certain level of skill is needed is clearly indicated. The experienced and level headed guys that are around the Surfing forum, just need to give their input to Rb and Boston and this could end up being a seriously useful map for the Surfing community.

This way, boards does what it does best, (gets info out there) and the pathetic people have their pitiful campaign completely blow up in their face, and also remove the only legitimate excuse they have for not making this info publicly available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Boards 1 : Surfer idiots 0

tallaght01 wrote: »
    LOL I can't believe a whole load of surfer boys are threatening violence :pac:

I reckon, if they wanna play that game, RB should rename the map "Best knacker drinkin spots in Ireland" and post it on sum kinda skanger site ( a celtic supporters site or something like that ;) )

These secluded spots would be ideal for boozing.

Then sit back and watch as carloads of blokes from tallaght, clondalkin, ballymun etc turn up in their droves with 100s of cans of while lightning for a weekend of partying in "devil's cove" or wherever.

Let's see them make death threats then :D

Lol, that would be absolutely hilarious!

But it'd be really unfair on the genuine, nice surfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I just *love* the now-banned-contingent-who-have-returned's unfailing ability to point the blame where it belongs - those surfers who came here and acted the dick. Your beef is with them, they created the ****storm and now the results are available for all to see.

We <3 your self-centred world-view.

Ste05 wrote: »

Instead how about boards.ie Surfing Forum do something really good for the Irish Surfing community, create this map, naming all the secret places, but rank them in some way so anything dangerous or where a certain level of skill is needed is clearly indicated. The experienced and level headed guys that are around the Surfing forum, just need to give their input to Rb and Boston and this could end up being a seriously useful map for the Surfing community.

I realise that sounds great and all but I'd prefer that boards.ie let the Irish Surfing community look after something like this. Maybe they could hand over the map to the ISA? Might be a good compromise?
    BTW this has been brought to the ISA who will probably be discussing the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Maybe they could hand over the map to the ISA? Might be a good compromise?

Why? So they could close it or hide all the "secret spots" ?
    No thanks.
    Its here to stay.
    Might take up surfing myself now seeing as I know all the good spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I realise that sounds great and all but I'd prefer that boards.ie let the Irish Surfing community look after something like this. Maybe they could hand over the map to the ISA? Might be a good compromise?
    Well the thing is, the map is out there now. You can't put this rabbit back into the hat. It has nothing to do with boards or the ISA now, it's on the internet, therefore, it will be posted and used no matter what. Even if boards puts a blanket ban on it and the ISA does likewise, it's out and that's that.

All that can be done now is for the map to be completed with appropriate warnings and advice, whether the ISA, boards, or whoever do it, it's what is the logical next step. The morans who made the issue massive are to blame for this, not boards or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

are we in China or North Korea? people can post what they like...you cant control what gets posted up her just to suit the minority of greedy ignorant surfers. Its an information age. As was said before you surfer boys actually made these "secret sites" infamous by moaning and bitching! this thread has 2,116 views...well done lads, i think you have only yourself to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe they could hand over the map to the ISA? Might be a good compromise?
    Problem is now that nobody will trust the ISA not to engage in censorship. What's to stop them taking the map, then deciding it's a bad idea and binning it?

It would make way more sense for a neutral 3rd party (such as Rb) to hold onto ownership of the map, but leave it wide open for people to add new areas, suggest updates and add whatever relevant info they want to it. A process could be put in place to request removal of areas (say ones that are just plain lethal as opposed to difficult).

Then leave it for a couple of years for the whole furore to die down and for people to realise that it can only be a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement