Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I think this thread should be made a sticky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Enygma wrote: »
    It's not those spots I'd be worried about cpoh. What about the spots that you're not telling anyone about, the ones that you're sure won't end up online?

The idea is to add to this map right?

I know exactly what you're saying Enygma, which is why spots that are truly secret genuinely have a stigma attached to them and nobody wants them broadcasted, these spots only ever work once in a blue moon with massive swells and ideal winds and thats why they remain secret otherwise people would be on them. Other than that most spots have been worked out. Sure I remember the bar in inchadoney being spoken about in hushed tones once upon a time, and not too,long ago either!

Sure its not ideal seeing spots you once thought were your own little private back yard being discovered and surfed regularily but id much rather people were warned about them properly than jumping in gung ho and doing something stupid. Others like the posts from yesterday think that because they surf more than 4 years they own an area despite most of them living a good 30mins minimum from a lot of the spots. There has always been someone who has come before who is pissed off at the latest arrival!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

BTW this has been brought to the ISA who will probably be discussing the issue.
    Good, hopefully they will have some choice words for the people who resorted to personal threats, and are ultimately going to be responsible for the far wider publication of this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

For a thread with "No further discussion on this " there sure is a lot of discussing.:pac:
    We need to

a)troll
    b)get the map out there

stevenmu wrote: »
    Good, hopefully they will have some choice words for the people who resorted to personal threats, and are ultimately going to be responsible for the far wider publication of this information.

Ill second that. The ISA should know that most of the threats were made by members of the Kerry Surf Club. Is this how they want their organisation and sport represented?

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »

b)get the map out there

What map is this you speak of? Can you link me to it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

BTW this has been brought to the ISA who will probably be discussing the issue.

And...? What, they'll come to a conclusion and try to force Boards to take it down? Or try to force me and Boston to edit/remove it?

They've no authority whatsoever. If anything, the ISA should be looking at removing those who acted up here, gave surfers a bad name and threatened our members. Discrediting their clubs, members etc.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    The ISA should know that most of the threats were made by members of the Kerry Surf Club

qft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

That's not true at all. I believe there may be a personal grudge there and some wires may have been crossed. The only member of the KSC that has been on here that I know of was vegaluca who only came on to ask that his name be removed from the site.

That's not true at all.

Stop trying to backtrack now that the horse has bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Look I know it's not true, as far as I know, none of the other people on here are members of the KSC.
    You're quoting someone that has a clear personal grudge. What can I say?

Enygma, I take it you do know who it was so? If so, I'd suggest getting on to the ISA about their behaviour asap.

I notice you're a moderator on IrishSurfer. If you, or your forum members, want to collaborate and help grow that map, add info, help come up with a safety rating etc. then let me know and I'll add whatever info is required.

That's not true at all. I believe there may be a personal grudge there and some wires may have been crossed. The only member of the KSC that has been on here that I know of was vegaluca who only came on to ask that his name be removed from the site.

I have been reliably informed that there were a lot more than 1 of the KSC involved in that thread Enygma.

I was sent a link to the original thread by friends via email explaining the people involved in it and where they originated (KSC and LBI). I have never personally been involved in either site (despite some crazy claims to the contrary), a few mates have a look now and then, its a long standing joke amongst mates.

I felt compelled to point out considering the level of attacks and attitude of the guys involved that these fellas were in fact part of the KSC and LBI and that they are in fact far less important in the greater scheme of things in and around the kerry area than they like to assume and that theyre surfing skills in no way entitle them to be throwing their weight around and showing the crap attitude they did. For a minute I thought i was watching point break! One of them even pm'd me to tell me his friends had done donuts in my parents garden in the past, bizarrre to say the least.

So to summarise there was no grudge, just me pointing out a few home truths about a group of internet chums who have completely over estimated their importance to the surfing community.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ok simmer down

While a number of the surfing community f*cked up and for the most part the backlash they have recieved is justified, some posters seem a tad aggressive, seeing as this thread is simply the aftermath, there's no need for it.

Regardless of the events that lead up to here, I ask that anyone that has important information about the areas RB has marked out, especially on the dangers to be passed onto him.

I have been reliably informed that there were a lot more than 1 of the KSC involved in that thread Enygma.

I was sent a link to the original thread by friends via email explaining the people involved in it and where they originated (KSC and LBI). I have never personally been involved in either site (despite some crazy claims to the contrary), a few mates have a look now and then, its a long standing joke amongst mates.

I felt compelled to point out considering the level of attacks and attitude of the guys involved that these fellas were in fact part of the KSC and LBI and that they are in fact far less important in the greater scheme of things in and around the kerry area than they like to assume and that theyre surfing skills in no way entitle them to be throwing their weight around and showing the crap attitude they did. For a minute I thought i was watching point break! One of them even pm'd me to tell me his friends had done donuts in my parents garden in the past, bizarrre to say the least.

So to summarise there was no grudge, just me pointing out a few home truths about a group of internet chums who have completely over estimated their importance to the surfing community.
    So should a "Warning - Could run into ignorant, immature, elitist locals" be put on the spots in Kerry? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well done Rb. I've some more spots to add, and I'll start adding descriptions to some of the ones already there.

I agree, absolutely, nobody should have been threatened. That was awful!

But what you're doing is taking it out on every surfer that feels that spots shouldn't be named, including me, who haven't threatened anyone and who have been helpful on the surfing forum, or people who aren't involved at all.
    I suggest you take it out on those guys too, not every surfer that agrees with them.

Theres a line in the sand which needs to be drawn. If we allow one group of people to start dictating how this site is run by mean of threats and intimidation then we all loose the ability to speak freely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Regardless of it thats true or not, someone would want to put a warning up on the Finians Bay location - if a rip catches you there's nothing between you and America and it gets *very* dicey there some days.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Regardless of it thats true or not, someone would want to put a warning up on the Finians Bay location - if a rip catches you there's nothing between you and America and it gets *very* dicey there some days.
    Think of how you'd like to phrase it and pm me or Boston it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mullaghmore point would be another - I know it says "dangerous" but its ****ing LETHAL in most conditions.

crash_000 wrote: »
    Mullaghmore point would be another - I know it says "dangerous" but its ****ing LETHAL in most conditions.
    "Pros only!
    for looking, not surfing, this is a tow-in wave that is very dangerous in most conditions. Definitely not a wave for amateur or intermediate surfers."

That ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Rb wrote: »
    "Pros only!
    for looking, not surfing, this is a tow-in wave that is very dangerous in most conditions. Very rocky off the point. Definitely not a wave for amateur or intermediate surfers."

I'm sure it is - not sure the best way to phrase it to be honest like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

jimi_t wrote: »

i keep posting on this thread, and I don't know the first thing about surfing, so excuse my ignorance. BUT.....a lot of the surfing community are going on about how they don't care so much that the map is published, but they're worried about safety warnings etc.

What I can't get my head roud is:

1) If they just pass info about these places by word of mouth, then there's zero chance some random punter who stumbles accross one of these spots is going to know how dangerous they are. At least the map tells people!!

2) If they care so much about safety, they should be presumably not be passing word about these places to anyone, by word of mouth or not. If a stretch of coast is dangerous, then it's dangerous. You're just a bloke on a plank of wood. You're nothing against a strong current or whatever. When my local lifeguards cordon off a section of the beach because there's a strong rip or bad current, they don't go teling their other lifeguard mates to go swimming in it, because they're seasoned siwmmers. It seems bizarre to me, but I'm pig-ignorant in fairness :p

crash_000 wrote: »
    I'm sure it is - not sure the best way to phrase it to be honest like :)
    Cool, have edited it to reflect the rocky part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 vegaluca

Ill second that. The ISA should know that most of the threats were made by members of the Kerry Surf Club. Is this how they want their organisation and sport represented?

Did I shag your mother or something ?

Incidentally, they're were no threats made to anybody on here from The Kerry Surf Club as I'm sure fuzzielogic will testify to.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    i keep posting on this thread, and I don't know the first thing about surfing, so excuse my ignorance. BUT.....a lot of the surfing community are going on about how they don't care so much that the map is published, but they're worried about safety warnings etc.

What I can't get my head roud is:

1) If they just pass info about these places by word of mouth, then there's zero chance some random punter who stumbles accross one of these spots is going to know how dangerous they are. At least the map tells people!!

2) If they care so much about safety, they should be presumably not be passing word about these places to anyone, by word of mouth or not. If a stretch of coast is dangerous, then it's dangerous. You're just a bloke on a plank of wood. You're nothing against a strong current or whatever. When my local lifeguards cordon off a section of the beach because there's a strong rip or bad current, they don't go teling their other lifeguard mates to go swimming in it, because they're seasoned siwmmers. It seems bizarre to me, but I'm pig-ignorant in fairness :p

Absolutely; If they gave a damn about safety they would provide comments for the places we already have listened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

vegaluca wrote: »
    Did I shag your mother or something ?

Incidentally, they're were no threats made to anybody on here from The Kerry Surf Club as I'm sure fuzzielogic will testify to, or we'll do donuts in his ma's garden.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

most of the threats were made by members of the Kerry Surf Club.
    To clarify: No threats were made.
    And also the above poster is clearly a loon.

Suggest that this thread either be locked or deleted. Its over and done with now, put this thing to bed, and have that new map thread that someone has started here (boston?) just deleted or closed. Theres some bad advice/safety issues WRT it.

Back to the status quo of no agression, lets just delete the bloody threads, including this one which is full of useless slander about various parties and people.

Sure its not ideal seeing spots you once thought were your own little private back yard being discovered and surfed regularily but id much rather people were warned about them properly than jumping in gung ho and doing something stupid. Others like the posts from yesterday think that because they surf more than 4 years they own an area despite most of them living a good 30mins minimum from a lot of the spots. There has always been someone who has come before who is pissed off at the latest arrival!
    Why?
    Does the water turn to hydrochloric acid or something when theres more than a few in it?
    Honestly this is childish.It's also unconstitutional behavior given that any citizen is entitled to swim or surf on our coasts.
    The people who have used threats in relation to this I can confidently say are breaking the law.Thats something that should be brought to the attention of the guards.
    FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    and have that new map thread that someone has started here (boston?) just deleted or closed. Theres some bad advice/safety issues WRT it.
    It's far easier just to add the safety/warning information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tom Thumb1000

So how could surfers have changed the boards.ie policy that has been running for the last year:confused:

You've been running a **** you policy of we know best which runs agains't every other surfing forum under the sun.

You know post every break known to man, without a care that most breaks haven't the facilities for crowds or learners.

Think of the kids on this site who will look at a map and think that theres great surf there, only the break is remote and not clearly visible and suffers rips. Now you have a situation, with no life guards or crowds or people, there is no body to check to see if the can get in safely.

The policies of not revealing breaks is generally for safety.

NOT EVERY BEACH BREAK HAVE LIFE GUARDS OR ARE POPULAR :eek:

Sending people out to these spots is just asking for trouble.

If you don't believe the ISA, try asking lifeguards or the RNLI for there opinion of revealing breaks that don't have the safety facilities for learners or crowds.

I for one spend loads of time dealing with learner bodyboarders who head into the water without fins, easy mistake its nearly impossible for them to get back in.

As I have said

THOSE RULES ON SECRET SPOTS ARE THERE FOR A REASON

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with safety. If you provide a warning about a spot to someone at the same time they discover the spot, then that is far better then just hoping that somehow, having stumbled upon the spot. they'll know the level of skill required. Keeping people in the dark about the dangers of these spots is backwards thinking. If you gave a damn you would provide comments about which sites are dangerous to me.

Ignorance is not bliss in this case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement