Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age of Conan on the 360

• 29-05-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Age of Conan is out now and by the looks of things it's a great game. How do people here think an MMORPG will translate to the Xbox and will people be holding out for it?

Much as I love the Microsoft console MMORPGs are great for their add-ons, plug-ins, UI custom options, having the flexibility a keyboard offers etc etc. I can't see how a console can offer all of these things. Take guilds for example. How would a guild work properly on the 360?

And it's not out till the Summer of 2009. Will anyone wait that long for what could be an inferior version?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I got it for my PC yesterday – it's a 32gb install :eek: A 360 version would have to be gimped to get it running. That said they may do it well – when consoles first started doing FPS people thought the experience would never compete, but the likes of CoD4 has disproved that IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

grizzly wrote: »
    I got it for my PC yesterday – it's a 32gb install :eek:

Jaysus! that's a lot of data! is it any good though compared to the other mmorpg's?

Can't say – I've never played one until now! I'm still on the hand holding 1st section so far, but I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. It looks beautiful – similar to oblivion (if a decent machine). The major downside for me is not being able to map attacks to the mouse buttons – but it's early days so teething problems are to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I hear it's quite a demanding game hardware wise. Is it beyond what the Xbox can do?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its a fncking animal hardware wise. My laptop will play Wow (ok, not brilliantly but its bearable) but it gagged choked and died at AoC. They could get it working on the Xbox though, I bet.

As far as the experience goes... I dont think drawing comparisons to FPS is a good idea. I come from a hardcore FPS background and nothing on any console has ever compared to a mouse and a keyboard and the whole experience is greatly reduced as a result.

I would agree that the MMORPG experience can be shoehorned into a console (and will be, theres too much cash in them!) but I doubt it will be the same....

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

console are are the same power when they make a game it can get every bit out of the machine for pc you have to make a game the will run on a lot of combinations of hardware

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Varik wrote: »
    console are are the same power when they make a game it can get every bit out of the machine for pc you have to make a game the will run on a lot of combinations of hardware
    Yes but consoles have far less ram which could be an issiue, although I wouldnt be suprised if this game is ported to 360 in some form...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

vista uses 600ish by it's self and most people are on 32 bit pc which are limited to the ram they can use

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Varik wrote: »
    vista uses 600ish by it's self and most people are on 32 bit pc which are limited to the ram they can use
    My point is the 360 has 512mb DDR3 RAM for the whole system whereas your average gaming rig would have at least 256mbddr3 dedicated video memory and then one or 2 gigs ddr2 aswell, it all adds up ;)

Nick

I imagine the 360 would make a good fist at the graphics – it wouldn't be too far off the higher spec machines in terms of raw performance. Where it would fall down would be IU issues. Menus would be difficult to implement as well as all the shortcuts which are easily done with a mouse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement