Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage wiring again!

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Greetings all. About a year ago I got great advice about wiring a garage but I've lost the print out. Most of the last year was spent visiting my Ma in hospital so I never got around to the wiring.

Garage is separated from the house by about a metre, lighting and sockets to supply small power tools; drill, sander.

So what would I need in terms of cable and MCBs and RCDs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I remember the thread but can't find it on search.

there was a discussion on how far away the shed was and what size cable either 16Sq, 10Sq or 6sq would be required. I think we all agreed on 10Sq as you were not running much out there but it was a little far away????

anyway 10Sq SWA with a 10Sq PVC earth cable in a ducting under ground would do the trick for most applications like this, the distance from the shed to the house is the only factor that would make the cable larger if you were not running much load.

We advised on a small consumer unit in the garage with a 32Amp breaker, covering a 10 Amp MCB for the lights and a 20 Amp RCBO for the sockets.

A 32 Amp breaker back at your main board feeding the shed would also be required.

Info on what you want to power up and the lenght of the run would help get an exact answer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

Hi Stoner,

I couldn't find the thread either. Garage is alongside the house, separated by about a metre. Garage is about 6 X 3 metres. Just need lighting (flourescents) and power for drill (500 watts). My Ma passed away last Christmas Eve, so I'm getting around to fixing up the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

Advertisement