Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a women's bik - I'm looking for advice

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I had my beloved Trek T30 robbed from the side of Stephen's Green. I've reported it stolen and I'm getting a cheque for €351 from the insurance co.

The shop I bought the bike from won't knock anything off the price of the bike (€439) but will throw about €70 of stuff (locks etc) in for free.

Will I accept this deal or should I get something a wee bit cheaper? I did like my Trek but cyclesuperstore.ie have Giants and Lapierre for a little less.

The shop up the road have a good after-sales service, so I'm leaning towards buying from them again.

What do you lot think?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Hello -

try www.chainreactioncycles.com you might get a good deal there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just be aware that if you buy a bike from CRC, it will require a good bit of assembly. If you're going to online route then you could look at www.wiggle.co.uk or www.evanscycles.com , both of them fully assemble bikes before shipping them.

But tbh €70 worth of free stuff is not bad, it's about a 12% discount. I would spend that €70 on a lock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Be careful though- good deals but if buying from CRC you may have to do a fair bit of assembly on the bike. www.wiggle.co.uk by contrast set up the bike perfectly and all you have to do is attach the handlebars.

For a bike in that price range I'd buy from the local bike shop though, you'll probably need the after sales service in a month or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If you really liked the old bike then buy the same one again. You could find it cheaper than from your local shop if you look around town - but like you say, it's worthwhile having decent after-sales nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

OP I like those T30s, great for commuting! You might get a 2nd hand one within your price range from UCD bikeshop (or elsewhere).

OP - please tell me about this insurance. Who are you with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Not of much help, but what insurance company are you with and how much is it? I really need insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

oobydooby wrote: »
    OP I like those T30s, great for commuting! You might get a 2nd hand one within your price range from UCD bikeshop (or elsewhere).

OP - please tell me about this insurance. Who are you with?

Sorry took so long getting back to you. I went and got a Trek in the end.

I'm with Bank of Ireland for the home insurance. I'm still waiting for the cheque though. They said they'd give me €289 initially, then they said they'd give me €351. As I said, I'm still waiting. I don't know whether to get proper bike insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For commuting and stuff you are probably better off with standard home insurance. "Proper" bike insurance tends to be less about theft and more about crash damage while racing etc. (and it costs more.)

Advertisement