Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema in Kilkenny

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

What's the story with the cinema in Kilkenny? Do they not have access to all new films? Just learned that they are not showing Sex and the City, and have to take the wife to Waterford or Dublin to see it.

I seem to remember an issue with another film a few months ago, that the Kilkenny cinema also didn't show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It's something to do with a row between one of the movie distributors and the owner of a lot of the cinemas in this country, of which Kilkenny is one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Anderson

It was covered on Morning Ireland today. http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/

And more here - http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0529/1212012873695.html?via=mr
    "IN CINEMAS now," declares the advertising for Sex and the City , but the movie based on the hit TV series will not be playing at many Irish cinemas because of a long-running distribution disagreement.

As a result, the heavily hyped film which opened in Ireland yesterday, will not be released in any cities and towns where the only cinemas are operated by the Ward Anderson group. These include Athlone, Mullingar, Dundalk, Tullamore, Tralee and Killarney. Fashionistas and fans of the series in those areas will have to travel to see the film.

The London-based company, Entertainment Film Distributors, owns the distribution rights to Sex and the City in the UK and Ireland.

"Entertainment are refusing to supply us," Paul Ward of the Ward Anderson group said yesterday. "We are sorry that our customers cannot see the film at our cinemas, but there's nothing we can do about it."

Ward Anderson had been the Irish agents for Entertainment Film Distributors for 37 years, he said, but as a result of a disagreement, they have not supplied films to Ward Anderson for the past three years. Mr Ward declined to comment on the disagreement. Entertainment Film Distributors did not respond to an inquiry from The Irish Times .

Sex and the City will be released in the US tomorrow. While it is playing at most of the multiplexes in Dublin, it is not showing at Ward Anderson's flagship, the Savoy on O'Connell Street, nor at their complexes in Santry and Dún Laoghaire.

Meanwhile, rival chain UCI was cashing in, announcing an extra 1,000 seats for screenings of the film yesterday. UCI said it was the first time it opened extra seats on the day of a film release.

Ward Anderson operates Ireland's largest cinema chain. Among the other Entertainment releases they have been refused since the disagreement occurred in 2005 have been such high-profile films as Brokeback Mountain , The Golden Compass , A History of Violence , Hairspray , and The Departed , which won the Oscar for best picture last year, along with films by Irish directors, Kirsten Sheridan's August Rush and Terry George's Hotel Rwanda .

Running for two hours and 25 minutes, Sex and the City is unusually long by the standards of film spin-offs from TV series. It reunites the regular cast of the series - Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon, Kim Cattrall and Kristin Davis - and reportedly features over 200 pairs of shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The film's being shown in Portlaoise if you don't want to go as far as Dublin to see it.

You're right though about the cinema in Kilkenny. It is freakin' useless when it comes to the films it shows. It only has four screens and shows cr@ppy films that only 15 year old teenage boys likes. Even Oscar nominated films like The Aviator never made it here :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Firetrap wrote: »
    The film's being shown in Portlaoise if you don't want to go as far as Dublin to see it.

You're right though about the cinema in Kilkenny. It is freakin' useless when it comes to the films it shows. It only has four screens and shows cr@ppy films that only 15 year old teenage boys likes. Even Oscar nominated films like The Aviator never made it here :mad::mad::mad:

yeah coming from cork i was spoilt for choice down there they had a "kino cinema" which showed foriegn films like the black book, and pans labyrith. really brillant films which Id never see here.

Here they dont even show the mainstream ones all the time and films i think i might go see that are gone before I even get a chance to

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tate

Carlow aren't showing it either but Storm in Naas are. It has something to do with the owners having a disagrement with the distributors, its not showing in others like Tullamore and a few other places around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baby bear

i think its ridiculous that kilkenny cinema is so pathetic,paying 8.50 for a ticket to sit at a film u dont like...i always find that there are never any really enjoyable films out!!and as for sex and the city not coming here is just aloud of ****e,i was looking forward to go and see it since last year sometime.its a bit stupid i cant even watch it in my owm town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I've heard rumours that the source of the dispute is that the Ward Anderson Group (who own KK cinema) will not upgrade to the required Digital projectors, which is the only form that the distributors are making this film available in.

Don't know how true this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

All Irish cinemas were supposed to be upgraded to digital projection ages ago. Shame on them if that's what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

just read today a site notice, on the old derlict site on the johnswell road, for a 7 screen cinema and bowling alley and childrens playzone area, with 197 carpark area..... here's hoping this gets the go ahead kilkenny desperately need's a new cinema, and this side of town needs something for young people to do in the evenings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

just read today a site notice, on the old derlict site on the johnswell road, for a 7 screen cinema and bowling alley and childrens playzone area, with 197 carpark area..... here's hoping this gets the go ahead kilkenny desperately need's a new cinema, and this side of town needs something for young people to do in the evenings.....

Sounds class but no doubt this at odds with Kilkennys coco's "policies" or such rubbish (the same as they continually block ALDI and the like).
    And I thought a cinema was planned for the Citymart site (eventually) though too.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Sounds class but no doubt this at odds with Kilkennys coco's "policies" or such rubbish (the same as they continually block ALDI and the like).
    And I thought a cinema was planned for the Citymart site (eventually) though too.

the site is already zoned for general buinness, so at least it doesn't need to be rezoned, cant see the citymart site been built now for at least 5 years or so, council has a share in mc donagh junction which is due to open its bowling alley next month, just hope it doesn't affect there decision... on this

• Advertisement

Whereabouts on the Johnswell road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Just beside the entrance to Rosewood. PP for a bar and shops was turned down on the site before.

decision is due on the 7th of dec,

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I agree. We badly need a good cinema as the existing one is not worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Tell me about it. Went to see Batman a few months ago and the sound was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I never go to the Kilkenny cinema anymore. Its not worth it. if ANYONE sits in front of ya,the view is obscured.
    I make the effort to go to Storm cinema in Waterford,its a little more expensive,and its a bit further away, but the whole expierience is much more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Mackman wrote: »
    I never go to the Kilkenny cinema anymore. Its not worth it. if ANYONE sits in front of ya,the view is obscured.
    I make the effort to go to Storm cinema in Waterford,its a little more expensive,and its a bit further away, but the whole expierience is much more enjoyable

yeah I hate that! it doesnt even matter if person in front of you is that tall or not! and the seats always feel uncomfortable went to see the bond movie friday for example (v disappointing) and though its like the shortest bond movie ever my legs were feeling cramped and dead well before the end.

I love my films though & can't drive so don't have that many other options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

dont hold yer breath for a planning decision to go smoothly, I do know that a lot of the top brass in kcoco and borough corpo thing are on the free list in cineplex kilkenny, for popular movies see 'free list suspended' after all they built the existing plex on recreation grounds... so lets say the color of the envelope is a shade of brown!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's been totally refurbished the moment, after 10 years it's about time. I don't know if picture and sound quality is going to be upgraded but expect snazzier food stalls for sure.

With talk of a 7 screen cinema going out the Johnswell Rosd, it's about time the Cineplex got it's act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I don't go to cinemas for their food stalls.
    I want to be able to see good films that are just out. Still haven't even seen Wall-E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Presumably if a new cinema was built, the existing one would be for the high jump. Kilkenny's not big enough to sustain two of them.

I don't care either about the food stalls. A few extra screens and the chance to see films that aren't aimed at spotty 14 year old boys would be a big bonus in my book.

I once read something about how cinemas make money. Your average cineplex makes most of its profit from the snack bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Hope they start selling hot dogs. Yum!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smiddyboy wrote: »
    Hope they start selling hot dogs. Yum!

I'd rather they have good sound and picture, people should count on a cinema so they can be fed on any level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Threadhead wrote: »
    It's been totally refurbished the moment, after 10 years it's about time. I don't know if picture and sound quality is going to be upgraded but expect snazzier food stalls for sure.

With talk of a 7 screen cinema going out the Johnswell Rosd, it's about time the Cineplex got it's act together.
    But its only about 10 yrs old anyways.. there was one on Williams St before that one..?

Firetrap wrote: »
    Presumably if a new cinema was built, the existing one would be for the high jump. Kilkenny's not big enough to sustain two of them.

I don't care either about the food stalls. A few extra screens and the chance to see films that aren't aimed at spotty 14 year old boys would be a big bonus in my book.

I once read something about how cinemas make money. Your average cineplex makes most of its profit from the snack bar.

I think it would easily sustain two. Especially seen as the new one is at the other side of town and in such a new and growing residential area. it will pick up people that might not neccessary bother going to the cinema, but will when it's so nearby.

KatCookie wrote: »
    But its only about 10 yrs old anyways.. there was one on Williams St before that one..?

Yep, the Regal...with its egg stained screen...and the ol' wans with the torches....and those weird bubbles that used to be on screen before the ads/trailers started.

Was it not called the Regent? Doesn't even feel like 10 years!! The site has only just been redeveloped!! And at the time it felt like we would never get the new one, a whole 4 screens!!

Sorry....you're right Mfitzy! Twas indeed the Regent!

Of course Kilkenny used to have 2 cinemas before. The Watergate Theatre used to be the Savoy cinema too....some of our older posters might remember it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Years ago was very different, less people had TV's, no videos etc, in fairness Callan also had a cinema which is where Supervalue is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The Cineplex has been opened for 10 years now, since August 1998. I know this cos the last film shown in the Regent was the ****e Lost In Space. The Regent had its charms though!

As far as I know, this is the first time since it opened that the Cineplex got an upgrade of any sort. Although as most people have pointed out, better films would be a start.

I think we'll easily sustain 2 cinemas in Kilkenny. The other one is going to have amusement arcades and all that stuff so it seems to be geared mostly for families and kids. If the Cineplex wanted to pick up the slack and focus on films for adults I don't think you'd hear many complaints at all.

Advertisement