Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema in Kilkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If you look at other towns of a similar size to Kilkenny, they don't have two cinemas. They do have ones with more than four screens though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

just seen on the kk county council web site that permission for the new cinema was turned down :mad: good old boys club

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

just seen on the kk county council web site that permission for the new cinema was turned down :mad: good old boys club
    Are you serious?? when are the gobshi*** on kilkenny council ever going to actually talk to the people of kilkenny and find out what we think instead of them constantly turning down attractions that will keep kilkenny people and their money in kilkenny and not force us to other counties for entertainment ?? thats really disapointing news and as you say the good old boys club have got together in their own interests ,i wonder on what grounds they turned it down ??:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Have you got a link?

Can't find it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Firetrap wrote: »
    If you look at other towns of a similar size to Kilkenny, they don't have two cinemas. They do have ones with more than four screens though.
    as I heard someone saying at the weekend "Do they think there's a million people living in Kilkenny or something?!" Hard to see where you'd be going with a 9 screen cineplex when the 3 screen one that's there already is always half empty. But like you say, the choice of films the choice of films available there at present is terrible.

• Advertisement

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=081318
    mick_irl wrote: »
    Have you got a link?

Can't find it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Loveless wrote: »
    as I heard someone saying at the weekend "Do they think there's a million people living in Kilkenny or something?!" Hard to see where you'd be going with a 9 screen cineplex when the 3 screen one that's there already is always half empty. But like you say, the choice of films the choice of films available there at present is terrible.
    maybe its half emprty cos of the crap films?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

scatty wrote: »
    Are you serious?? when are the gobshi*** on kilkenny council ever going to actually talk to the people of kilkenny and find out what we think instead of them constantly turning down attractions that will keep kilkenny people and their money in kilkenny and not force us to other counties for entertainment ?? thats really disapointing news and as you say the good old boys club have got together in their own interests ,i wonder on what grounds they turned it down ??:mad::mad::mad:

TBH I just read the planning there and I'd have to agree with it being refused. It wasn't *just* for a cinema but a bowling alley as well, amongst other things like an arcade. A bowling alley just opened less than a month ago in MacDonagh Junction, we definitely don't need another one. I don't think we even need a 9 screen cinema. There's no demand for it. Let's sort out the Cineplex with some decent films, see if business picks up, and then consider adding a couple of screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'd have to agree with the assessment that the actual cinema here just needs to shape up and everything would be fine. It's a very valid point that it's barely full anytime so why do we need another cinema. It's all down to choice and content. And the fact of the matter is that kids films will take up 4/5 screens and there's very little for adults. The Kilkenny Film Club and the Wednesday night screenings in Billy Byrnes have proved there's a great audience in Kilkenny for alternative cinema and by alternative cinema I do not mean a load of wanky films, I mean any film that isn't a major blockbuster or a kids film. The middle ground in fact.

It's become a running joke at this stage that the 5 Best Picture Nominees at the Oscars every year have never been seen in Kilkenny cinemas. I think someone mentioned that of the past 4 years of Oscar nominations, 16 out of 20 nominated Best Picture Movies never came to our cinemas on release. And if you look at the likes of The Aviator, The Departed, Crash, Brokeback Mountain, Capote and There Will Be Blood.... they're not exactly special interest, star free movies. It's ****ing ridiculous that we'd have to go to Waterford or Carlow to see such films. So no wonder, our cinema stays empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

yea i wanted to see max payne the movie and it wasent even out in kilkenny they where still showing **** movies

I saw body of lies last night and it was pritty good first time i was in the new screen and it looked pritty good

• Advertisement

if it helps max payne is useless

ergonomics wrote: »
    TBH I just read the planning there and I'd have to agree with it being refused. It wasn't *just* for a cinema but a bowling alley as well, amongst other things like an arcade. A bowling alley just opened less than a month ago in MacDonagh Junction, we definitely don't need another one. I don't think we even need a 9 screen cinema. There's no demand for it. Let's sort out the Cineplex with some decent films, see if business picks up, and then consider adding a couple of screens.
    to be fair i can see the appeal of having it all in the same place. It's be great for families to have it all in the one building rather than going to different ends of the city for different things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Threadhead wrote: »
    The Kilkenny Film Club and the Wednesday night screenings in Billy Byrnes have proved there's a great audience in Kilkenny for alternative cinema and by alternative cinema I do not mean a load of wanky films, I mean any film that isn't a major blockbuster or a kids film. The middle ground in fact.

Where can I find more information on the kilkenny film club/wednesday night screenings in Billy Byrnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'm not sure if the Film Club is currently screening, they tend to run 2 seasons of films a year, not sure if theres one going at the moment. But they have brochures lying around most places in town (all the book shops will have em at the counter) and usually have full on newspaper coverage. All the films are shown in the Parade Tower which is a lovely spot.

The Byrne's film nights are every Wendesday and there's usually an accompanying article in the People every week. They'll also have a poster up in Billy Byrnes each week stating what the coming film will be. Last weeks one as Together, and there was a pretty big article about it. Usually Tess Felder or Edwina Grace will cover it.

Are there new screens in the cinema? About time I say.

now that the cinema is after getting a make over and new name, will it mean new relase's will arrive before they get to xtra vision :D
    can some one tell me whats the difference between a cineplex and a omniplex :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

now that the cinema is after getting a make over and new name, will it mean new relase's will arrive before they get to xtra vision

Afraid not, it's still owned by the same people, Ward Anderson.

can some one tell me whats the difference between a cineplex and a omniplex :confused:

They are brand names, so as such, they don't actually mean anything per se.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Anderson

The Kilkenny Film club has a website. They show films in the Parade Tower. Next season starts on 14th January.

I've been to see the odd film but I find the set-up in the tower's not suitable for films to be honest. The chairs are ordinary stacking chairs and the screen's up quite high. Sitting in the very front row watching a subtitled film is uncomfortable. It's an awful pity - they show some great films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Firetrap wrote: »
    The Kilkenny Film club has a website. They show films in the Parade Tower. Next season starts on 14th January.

I've been to see the odd film but I find the set-up in the tower's not suitable for films to be honest. The chairs are ordinary stacking chairs and the screen's up quite high. Sitting in the very front row watching a subtitled film is uncomfortable. It's an awful pity - they show some great films.

ok thanks for the information just checked it there and great timing they are showing happy go lucky in Jan. I've always wanted to see that film.

Where abouts is the tower?

When you go through the big castle gates that face onto the parade, turn right. It's hard to miss it. If you do plan on going to see a fillum, go early so that you get a decent seat as near to the back as you can.

Here's a snap I took with my mobile phone's camera. It's a gorgeous room but not ideal for films. Having said that, I'd say I'll be joining up the club again and going to see a few things.

DSC00071-1.jpg

Advertisement