Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmates forcing me to leave

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Sharing a new house with 3 others (2 male, 1 female). We all moved in separately over a 2 week period as the rooms were advertised separately so we didn't get to meet each other first (big mistake). The two guys make living in the house a nightmare, constant noise, never wash up, always leaving front and back door unlocked, girlfriends staying every night and having dinner there and in one case violent arguements with a girlfriend from 3-7am. The other girl has had enough and is moving out this week, she has found someone to replace her. We've told the landlady everything but she just told them to do the washing up, nothing really has changed. She is only in her mid 20's and far too timid, plus i'm not running to the landlady just because they leave the dishes all weekend.

I want to move out in the next month but as I don't know anyone in the area to move in i'll have to advertise on daft or in the local paper in order to find a replacement to get my deposit back. Do i have any legal right to get my deposit back without finding a replacement as it is the other tenants who are forcing me out and i'm not leaving of my own choice. THe guys are nice enough but they're just very young and impossible to live with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hmm....

I'd consider a couple of things here. 1) Call Threshold They are very au fait on tenancy rights.

2) do you have a lease separately in your name - because it sounds like all the vetting was done separately? If so have a look at it, you're in less than six months so I think you can give one month's notice to quit for no reason under those circumstances and the landlady cannot withhold your deposit except for damage reasons. IF she does, PRTB, tbh.

All told though, it sounds kinda messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Calina wrote: »
    Hmm....

I'd consider a couple of things here. 1) Call Threshold They are very au fait on tenancy rights.

2) do you have a lease separately in your name - because it sounds like all the vetting was done separately? If so have a look at it, you're in less than six months so I think you can give one month's notice to quit for no reason under those circumstances and the landlady cannot withhold your deposit except for damage reasons. IF she does, PRTB, tbh.

All told though, it sounds kinda messy.

Yeah we all have separate leases. Only met once we'd all moved in. When I asked her about the lads she said they seemed nice and were about 26, they're actually only 19 which is a world of difference! When I say it's a lease it's a few lines on a page saying no parties and bills must be up to date, not anything substantial. She's a nice landlady and I could easily threaten her with PRTB but don't want to be so nasty about it. Just don't really want the hassle of trying to find somebody new; shouldn't be my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Unless the lease specifies a term of tenancy just hit up your 4 weeks notice and then go.
    Say it to here before and if she says she is not giving you your deposit back you can
    (a) chase her for it afterwards through the ptrb
    (b) save time and just not pay your rent for the last month

a is the better option but I'd personally go with b.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Unless the lease specifies a term of tenancy just hit up your 4 weeks notice and then go.
    Say it to here before and if she says she is not giving you your deposit back you can
    (a) chase her for it afterwards through the ptrb
    (b) save time and just not pay your rent for the last month

a is the better option but I'd personally go with b.

The lease was for 1 year but she was fine with the other girl leaving as long as she got someone to replace her and that was ok with everyone else in the house. I won't do (b), just think it's uncalled for and a mean way of ending things plus I live in a country town!

Advertisement