Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Aughrim and the new N6

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I see they've had the diggers in for a while now around the site of the Battle of Aughrim...Anybody heard word about any findings? General St Ruth's head maybe or was there even a pre-construction archaeological dig? Doubt the diggers will be too sensitive! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Who cares, just build the damn road already.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Who cares, just build the damn road already.

Erm...it's being built Einstein, maybe you should go out there and give them a hand? They could probably do with some more pig-ignorant attitudes like your own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Erm...it's being built
    Not fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Not fast enough.

Should have been built 10 years ago, thats not the point though. I'm genuinely interested in what they could find there...if yer not, fairy snuff

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    I see they've had the diggers in for a while now around the site of the Battle of Aughrim...Anybody heard word about any findings? General St Ruth's head maybe or was there even a pre-construction archaeological dig? Doubt the diggers will be too sensitive! :(

I remember going drinking with a bunch of archeology postgrads back a few years ago who were working in aughrim, so yeah.

On such a huge site though, I beleive there will most certainly be parts lost.

It'd be nice if the historians could make up a map of "sensitive" areas for the use of planners, it would help with this sort of thing.

My view: build the road. Us 21st century people must leave our marks too for future generations.

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if the historians could make up a map of "sensitive" areas for the use of planners, it would help with this sort of thing.

My view: build the road. Us 21st century people must leave our marks too for future generations.
    If every historically interesting site, special area of nature, landscape, field with a story was protected nothing would be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Who cares, just build the road already

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Build the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Cavemen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Des Hynes wrote: »
    Cavemen
    Any of them to be dug up?

For the love of Jeff, does anyone think the Romans, when building roads and viaducts, checked to see if the natterjack toad or some 400 year old musket balls might be upset? Then again, they didn't have the archaeology and professional objector industries to support in them days...

• Advertisement
Advertisement