Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Modern Buildings in Dublin

Options
  • 29-05-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Thought, this could be an interesting thread. Post your favourite and least favourite modern (Post WW2) buildings in Dublin. Pictures as well, if possible.

Some of my favourites include

Baggot Street Bank of Ireland by Scott Tallon Walker
    290639415_72bf4803b6.jpg

Dawson Street Offices by Shay Clery
    offices_lge.jpg

Plus tons more, I'm sure, that I've forgotten.

Worst, I'd have to go for Oisin House on Pearse St.

oisin2.jpg

So, what's yours?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love the building above Redz bar. It is amazing, i must try and get a photo of it in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

irishbird wrote: »
    i love the building above Redz bar. It is amazing, i must try and get a photo of it in the morning

+1, I only noticed it a few months ago, Doesnt seem to fit in where it is but it looks great, Real classic look to it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I like the St. Paul Travellers Building on Harcourt Street, can't find any images of it off hand...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This beauty.Busarus. In before someone says it's the worst.
    Designed by Michael Scott and his young team of bucks and was completed in 1953.
    Beautiful mix of material and most importantly for such a building fabulously ergonomic. One of the true gems in the city.6034073

dancor wrote: »
    +1, I only noticed it a few months ago, Doesnt seem to fit in where it is but it looks great, Real classic look to it.

Eh...post WW2? Meaning built after 1945.

• Advertisement

No one notices it - i am making it my mission to point it out to everyone:) it used to be owned a tabbaco importing company i think. i would love to get inside and see what it looks like

humberklog wrote: »
    This beauty.Busarus. In before someone says it's the worst.
    Designed by Michael Scott and his young team of bucks and was completed in 1953.
    Beautiful mix of material and most importantly for such a building fabulously ergonomic. One of the true gems in the city.6034073

i used to think it was horrendous but over the last few years i have began to see the beauty and think its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Worst has to be Hawkins House (HQ for Dept of Health / Children) without question.

I used to get my bus home from college and work here for years. It's f*^king shockingly awful!!

Last I heard, it was supposed to be marked for demolition? Still there's AFAIK...
    hawkins-house.jpg
    http://www.irish-architecture.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/southcity/poolbeg_street/hawkins_house.html

Not sure on a favourite. Will try and think and post back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The building above redz:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/2272059263/

In agreeance with whiskyman about the worst building...

Eh...post WW2? Meaning built after 1945.

Yeah I know when WW2 ended. I didnt name it I just agreed with another user on what a great building it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

And here is a look inside the building above redz: www.daft.ie/241280

irishbird wrote: »
    i used to think it was horrendous but over the last few years i have began to see the beauty and think its brilliant.
    I put a pic with the post but it doesn't seem to have stuck. Ah well. Yeah Irish it can be a slow burner of a building. The interior detail is beautiful too. For me there is no building of its standard in Dublin.

Yeah I know when WW2 ended. I didnt name it I just agreed with another user on what a great building it is.
    Yeah Dancor I know. I shoulda quoted originator and noticed mistake too late. Sorry m'lord, I'm flaggilating myself as I type.

Hawkins house is too easy to call brutally ugly (because it is), however there are few buildings left standing of its era and style in the city. Apparently its for the hop soon and hmmm I don't know. It's very relevant (if only to show us not what to do!). I like looking at it from Eden Q. The top of it looms over the buildings in front of it with menace, like an expelled bootboy pupil from the '70's about to beat up a teacher as they head for the car park on their way home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lost_soul wrote: »
    And here is a look inside the building above redz: www.daft.ie/241280

What a fantastic view.

Yeah Dancor I know. I shoulda quoted originator and noticed mistake too late. Sorry m'lord, I'm flaggilating myself as I type.

And so you should be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

spurious wrote: »
    What a fantastic view.
    Yeah it's amazing, some place too!

And so you should be :D

I was learning to enjoy the flagilating! Have to say though after loooking at the link with the building it was worth mentioning. Never realised there was an apartment in it. And Fock Me what a pad!

Yeah its some place alright. I wonder what floor its on, I know for a fact that redz nightclub is building upwards, But how far up I dont know, I wouldnt be happy about the noise if I splased out on a pad like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

+1 for the building above Redz. I donate blood there quite regularly. After you donate, you can relax with your orange juice and Tayto and enjoy a view similar to that of the most fantastic apartment already shown. Just one floor below it, I think.

I've always loved it, but am amazed so many people didn't notice it. There must be so many gems hidden away that we all miss, even though they're right in front of us!

Also, I too like Busaras. I'd like to point out that I can't stand Bus Eireann, but that shouldn't reflect on the building. There's an interesting book, an interview with Micheal Scott sort of thing, by Dorothy Walker. I think. I'll have to look that one up, but it has a few plans of the building in it. Interesting read.

And interesting fact - Scott was told that the absolute maximum amount of parking spaces needed for buses would be 16, at any time in the future (apologies, that's badly phrased, but you get what I mean). So he planned it around that. Anybody that frequents Busaras as often as I do will know that this is sadly not the case...

My other favourite is Central Bank. I love that it's so uncompromising. And I'm quite fond of the Ulster Bank building across from Custom House (I think).

My least favourite is probably the Ilac Centre. Dingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Wow never noticed that building above Redz, its gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

AlexBM wrote: »
    And I'm quite fond of the Ulster Bank building across from Custom House (I think).

Yep a nice building allright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ulster_Bank_Dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Jello wrote: »

Pic not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I absolutely despise that building you see when coming from College Green to Westmoreland. The one with the TO LET on the side of it. Whoever actually decided, after seeing the design of it, to build it should actually be shot dead for being such an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Thanks Jello, nice pic. It's working for me, Jemmy...

I just thought of another one. I love the Dublin Civic Office (I don't think that's the name, but I'm talking about the one on Wood Quay). Bit of a waste of money, really, but it is pretty stunning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

AlexBM wrote: »

I just thought of another one. I love the Dublin Civic Office (I don't think that's the name, but I'm talking about the one on Wood Quay). Bit of a waste of money, really, but it is pretty stunning.

Hmmm, I was going to quote that as one of my pet hates. I hatethe look of those buildings!
    I think Liberty hall looks absolutely dreadful now, though I did like it at one stage.
    Hawkins house has to be top on the worst list. The Quality hotel on Granby Row, discussed in another thread recently is a good example of a really bad, dull and uninspiring modern building, and there's loads of those knocking around!

I honestly cant think of many great looking post WW2 buildings in our city. Most of what went up after that was cheap council blocks, Now they are being replaced with cheap unispiring apartments and office blocks that look like lego, Maybe one or two of the banks, Ulster bank already being mentioned are ok but with the ammount of building that happened in this city you would think we would have alot more to be happy to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Jello wrote: »

Actually, I was going to put that as one of my favourites, but I'd no idea what that's called. Great building.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this topic has come up before and once again I'm going to nominate the Marino College building on North Strand. Awful, awful, awful.

I also don't like Busaras

*ducks*

The Ulster bank building's roofs (when seen from the correct perspective) make an illusion of one large pyramid. The correct perspective runs along a South West to North east axis. So look from somewhere around rathfarnham say? and it comes together a one large pyramid. (I was site engineer on part of it). All that said I wouldn't be keen. The railings around it take a lot from it.
    Kinda like wood quay and really hate it! Maybe if kennedy was allowed finish it it would have made more sense but with the outcry his 2nd phase didn't go ahead and a different architect took over. Saying that with a little foresight at the time the government shoulda shelved it altogether and created one of the more impressive viking settlement sites this side of europe. Could have paid big dividends touristically. Also it would have allowed a large green space running from Christ church down to the liffey. Ah well.

• Advertisement

I like the new building on Dame st. At corner of dub. castle entrance. Tidies up that space nicely. It's a big pity that the don't allow scateboarders at the open space area to the left of it. That sort of stuff breathes life into a city.

Advertisement