Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Modern Buildings in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

God, I saw that for the first time the other day, and it's awful looking. Neither fits in with the surrounding buildings in any way, or is architecturally interesting enough to stand out and be proud.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Blisterman wrote: »
    God, I saw that for the first time the other day, and it's awful looking. Neither fits in with the surrounding buildings in any way, or is architecturally interesting enough to stand out and be proud.
    It came in for quite a slagging when it was revealed. Especially as council had bigged up the project. Bit like the FAI revealing Steve Staunton as manager. So I know I'm well in minority in liking it. I don't things should necessarily fit in though. In fact a prefer whan they especially don't. I really don't like the fire escape to the side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

ah humberklog, are you serious. It's dreadful. My favourite building in recent years is The Harcourt Building http://www.profileproperties.com/harcourt.whtm
    Right scale and right look for the location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

humberklog wrote: »
    I like the new building on Dame st. At corner of dub. castle entrance. Tidies up that space nicely. It's a big pity that the don't allow scateboarders at the open space area to the left of it. That sort of stuff breathes life into a city.

OMG, your the first I've come across with anything positive to say about that 'thing'.

I'll have to take some photo's over the weekend, but I was up there yesterday and had a good look around it. Its hidious, it doesn't have ONE redeeming feature.

Actually its a thundering disgrace that this thing could get planning permission & everytime I think about it I get visions of brown envelopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

jdivision wrote: »
    ah humberklog, are you serious. It's dreadful. My favourite building in recent years is The Harcourt Building http://www.profileproperties.com/harcourt.whtm

That's a nice one alright. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I love the Ulster Bank Building and the new Irish Times building too. I also like the Bord Gáis building on Foley Street. I can't find any pictures of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

jdivision wrote: »

Yeah, that's a great looking building.
    It looks especially cool, when the Luas turns around it. Showcases both the building and the Luas nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

What's this building on Dame St? I'm never around that part of town anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Blisterman wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a great looking building.
    It looks especially cool, when the Luas turns around it. Showcases both the building and the Luas nicely.

When taken in context of some of the other buildings along there it looks awful.

And while it looks very modern now, I don't think it will age well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

AlexBM wrote: »
    What's this building on Dame St? I'm never around that part of town anymore...

It's where they dug up the little park in front of the castle. It's dreadful, utterly risible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement