Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good choice?

Options
  • 29-05-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm looking for a bike for my dad, he's in his nifties and is 5'7. He just wants the bike for occasional leisure cycling. I reckon a dirt road will be the peak of his offroadness and he wont be going fast or anything either, just enjoying the scenery.

I've seen this on adverts, if it really is worth €600 new then it looks like a good deal. Looks in good shape for the age so I'm guessing it's been well taken care of, it even says it has been.

175 would really be the max to spend, but for the occasional use it will get, is it a bit overkill and should I just get something a bit cheaper/newer etc?

Any recommendations? I see this Dawes on CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20674 any idea how something like that would compare?

There's also a few accessories with the 2nd hand one, foot pump, helmet etc.

Any feedback appreciated :)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to link to the one on adverts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It looks like a reasonable, basic bike (can't see the condition of the drivetrain in the photos though). It also looks pretty big - maybe too large for a 5'7" rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's the drivetrain again? :)

Do you reckon it could be ok with the saddle lowered? Would you go for it or the CRC one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Drivetrain is everything associated with making the bike go forward (natural forces excluded)

Cool thanks. So which would yee folk go for? The brand new 130 euro bike or the aged 175 euro bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I'd say you'd be looking for a touring bike but you'll be talking about 250euros anyways for a decent bike being honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

cormie wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've seen this on adverts, if it really is worth €600 new then it looks like a good deal. Looks in good shape for the age so I'm guessing it's been well taken care of, it even says it has been.

175 would really be the max to spend, but for the occasional use it will get, is it a bit overkill and should I just get something a bit cheaper/newer etc?

Any recommendations? I see this Dawes on CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20674 any idea how something like that would compare?

Al Carters were pretty good bikes back in the day. Old school parts now though. I did a whole heap of mountain biking on an Al Carter professional and it never let me down.

I believe Dawes bikes can be let down by under-spec'ed components compared to similar priced bikes. Maybe that's changed but that used to be the case.

The one on adverts has been sold :(

Do you think the Dawes would be a good bet so? I hear bikes from CRC don't come assembled, are they difficult to put together I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Out of those I would say the Raleigh is the best value, it looks from the photos to be in good nick.

Going by the parts the Claud Butler Enduro is ancient, the Claud Butler Trailridge is a lot newer. Probably newer than the Raleigh too due to the aheadset (although could just be more expensive.)

Put it this way, I would pay more for the Raleigh than the CB Enduro, especially as he says the tyres could do with replacement.

Forgetting about price I would rank them in this order (1 is best):

1. Claud Butler Trailridge
    2. Raleigh Stone Fly
    3. Claud Butler Enduro

Thanks very much for that blorg :) Will try get the trailridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Raleigh would be my last choice (if someone paid me to take it).

Personally I'd go for the CB Enduro. Sure it's old but the frame is a lot nicer than the Raleigh and it appears to be in good condition. No unecessary suspenson components. Much easier to fit full length mudguards to this one too. I like older bikes though - the Trailridge would be good too.

The bikes are different sizes so if you're getting any of them, make sure it fits.

Having another look the chain and cassette on the Raleigh seem to be badly rusted (although conceivably could be salvaged; difficult to see from the photos.)

The Enduro is a better frame than the others, it's lugged steel (maybe Reynolds 520), but that together with the headset and the canti brakes dates it to a long long time ago (it is a long time since lugged steel was used on entry-level bikes) and as such it could be in bits. One went on eBay recently for £77 so €100 could certainly be reasonable if it is in good working order. As Morgan says, the lack of suspension would be an advantage.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

enduro is the best one for sure, but not for your dad cormie. It's a big older style frame and has a long stem, it will be way too big imo..

The Trailridge has been sold :(

Would the enduro not be ok if the saddle was lowered?

The Trailridge has been sold :(

Would the enduro not be ok if the saddle was lowered?

not imo, it is the reach to the bars that will be the prob and unless he has a very long upper body for someone 5' 7" he will struggle.

then again, you will sell it on for what you pay for it handy enough so maybe it is worth a go.

might give it a go alright, unless it's a definite no no size wise? It says it's a 20" frame with 26" wheels if that makes a diff?

Just back from buying the Endura, got it for €75, size seems fine, the saddle was at the max distance away from the handlebars so not as bad as it looks in the photo once it's adjust down and forward, I hope :)

Thanks for all the help!

Now I just need to get new tyres, the tyres on it say 26x1.95 I think, does this mean I need to find 26x1.95 replacement, or is it just as long as the replacement is 26 and the 1.95 could be anything?

Just back from buying the Endura, got it for €75, size seems fine, the saddle was at the max distance away from the handlebars so not as bad as it looks in the photo once it's adjust down and forward, I hope :)

Thanks for all the help!

Now I just need to get new tyres, the tyres on it say 26x1.95 I think, does this mean I need to find 26x1.95 replacement, or is it just as long as the replacement is 26 and the 1.95 could be anything?

great news, hope it works out.
    26 is diameter of wheel, so have to stick with that.

don't have to go for 1.95 wide tyres but the tubes will have a range of tyre size they will fit so check them out before going for anything wildly different. standard range tubes can go from 1.95-2.25 or 1.5-1.9ish.

Would these be ok for it do you know? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18835

There's a 26x1.5 and 1.75 option but they are in the road tyre section, and not the cruiser/mtb section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Anything 26" will work. Maybe go for something a bit slicker though, less thread.. He'll notice the difference.

Also. Horizontal dropouts. SingleSpeed Time.

hums hammertime

• Advertisement

Well he wont be using it for commuting or speed, mainly just taking it easy, he definitely doesn't need massive downhill grip or anything though ;)

What do you mean horizontal dropouts and single speed time? Could you recommend a tyre yourself on the site? Nothing too fancy or expensive:cool:

If you have horizontal drop-outs you can convert to fixed/single-speed as you can get the right chain tension by moving the wheel back or forward in the drop-out. Not something you need to worry about though unless you were going to go down that route. €75 is a good deal for that bike I reckon.

Ok, don't think my dad would be doing single speed stuff :)

This tyre and tube thing is a bit complicated.

Would all these tyres:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18835
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20732
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24628

be suitable? And would this tube suit?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18904

What would be the best choice for general riding, some road, some dirt track, nothing fast or extreme, just taking in the scenery type riding :)

I have the Schwalbe Delta Cruiser on my hack hybrid and it's fine, would be a good choice. Just make sure you get the 26x (I would go for the 26 x 1.3/8"). That tube will be fine too, just check whether you need Presta (thin) or Schraeder (car type.) On a MTB it will almost certainly be Schraeder.

Cool, I'll go for them then, thanks AGAIN! :P

Oh and yup, it's a Schraeder :)

Just got delivery of the tyres today (very quick!!:eek:)

But... I think they are too big, can't get them on :( The tyres I got say:

37-590 (26x 1 3/8 - 650 x35A) HS 310

the old tyres say:
    26x1.95 (52-559)

and the wheel itself says ETRTO 559-21 DIN

Did I make a mistake in taking the 26 digit off the original tyres, when I should have taken the 559 measurement instead or are they actually the right tyres and they just some how shrink to take shape:confused::o

Just got delivery of the tyres today (very quick!!:eek:)

But... I think they are too big, can't get them on :( The tyres I got say:

37-590 (26x 1 3/8 - 650 x35A) HS 310

the old tyres say:
    26x1.95 (52-559)

and the wheel itself says ETRTO 559-21 DIN

Did I make a mistake in taking the 26 digit off the original tyres, when I should have taken the 559 measurement instead or are they actually the right tyres and they just some how shrink to take shape:confused::o

how are they too big cormie, do the fit inside the rims but stick out a bit to the side? pics would be good, but get the tubes in and pump them up and you will know for sure it they are ok or not.

they sound like they should be fine..

I'll try get some pics tonight. But basically, if you put the wheel on the ground and the tyre around it, there's a noticeable gap around the whole lot.

It's MUCH different than what my road tyres look like! they are real tight around the wheel when you put them up to eachother.

Sorry about this, I made a mistake in saying that they would be OK. Apparently the decimal and fractional "26"s are quite different sizes. The relevant number here is the ISO bead seat diameter which is 590mm on your new tyres and 559mm on your old ones - so yes, the new ones are much too big. I am afraid that I did not know this and misadvised you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

Chain Reaction have a no quibble return policy if you want to swap them, and thankfully postage to NI is relatively cheap. Sorry about that :-(

You will need to go for tyres that have a decimal designation, so 26 x 1.3, 26 x 1.5 etc. Avoiding the fractions.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Sorry about this, I made a mistake in saying that they would be OK. Apparently the decimal and fractional "26"s are quite different sizes. The relevant number here is the ISO bead seat diameter which is 590mm on your new tyres and 559mm on your old ones - so yes, the new ones are much too big. I am afraid that I did not know this and misadvised you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

Chain Reaction have a no quibble return policy if you want to swap them, and thankfully postage to NI is relatively cheap. Sorry about that :-(

You will need to go for tyres that have a decimal designation, so 26 x 1.3, 26 x 1.5 etc. Avoiding the fractions.

:eek:

you learn something new every day!

Advertisement