Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water, glucose and salt in Tesco pork

• 29-05-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭

Does this annoy anyone else?

If you buy the special offer pork chop trays, periodically available in Tesco's, they are labelled as 'Tender Select Pork Chops' but when you get home and look at the little label on the underneath of the tray, it tells you that there is added water, glucose and salt.

If this was on the front label I would never have bought them. If I want 'seasoning' on my chops I'll put it on myself.

I brought this up with Tesco and got no satisfaction. Standard labelling blah blah blah. Tender for the customer blah blah blah.

anyone have thoughts?
    Should pork chops not just be pork chops or else CLEARLY marked otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Is this simply to pad out the meat, so you think you are getting more for your money?

See this article http://www.relayresearch.ie/public/p_news.asp?year=2004 which was reported in Britain in 2004 - sounds like the glucose and salt are there to keep the water in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My solution is I refuse to buy meat in Tesco, of any kind. It just doesn't taste right. A few times in the past my mum bought pork or chicken and it tasted like fish. I always go to a reliable butcher where I'm more trusting of the meat (you can never really be sure really though, unless you become a veggie). I've found butchers to be better value as well e.g. 10 chicken breasts for €10 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

watna wrote: »
    My solution is I refuse to buy meat in Tesco, of any kind. It just doesn't taste right. A few times in the past my mum bought pork or chicken and it tasted like fish. I always go to a reliable butcher where I'm more trusting of the meat (you can never really be sure really though, unless you become a veggie). I've found butchers to be better value as well e.g. 10 chicken breasts for €10 etc

Yes, I almost never buy meat in Tesco's. I got caught on a Sunday that time.

Yes, I almost never buy meat in Tesco's. I got caught on a Sunday that time.

Yeah, I've bought meat before even though I knew it wasn't great because I'd no time to go anywhere else. It's funny I think you can always taste the difference when you do go for the tesco meat. I've just moved to New Zealand and am finding it difficut to find good quality meat at affordable prices. Apparently the export a lot of their meat. I'm just back from a the supermarket and again I really wasn't impressed with the meat and I've yet to find a butchers! After reading this thread I'll be looking even more carefully at the ingredients/contents in the supermarket until I find a butchers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

watna, you can get New Zealand lamb (frozen) in Lidl. It's not at all bad, as frozen food goes.

• Advertisement

watna, you can get New Zealand lamb (frozen) in Lidl. It's not at all bad, as frozen food goes.

I have had that, it's nice.

As I said above, apparently New Zealand exports a lot of their meat. i.e. the good stuff. Guess they have to make their money somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

watna wrote: »
    After reading this thread I'll be looking even more carefully at the ingredients/contents in the supermarket until I find a butchers!

It seems it's what we need to do.
    If I buy an apple, can I be sure it's just an apple or have they put sugar in it?

Advertisement