Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Industry in Cork

Options
  • 29-05-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi, im in IT and im considering moving to cork, im wanting a change of location wondered what people think job wise is good in cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Hi, im in IT

What exactly do you do in "IT"

Your question is too broad to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

oh yeah currently im in web design area of IT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

from my own experience Cork has a fairly small IT industry compared to Dublin. You may not land a position in web development but you might be able to use your skills and experience to get into some other area of development...but it's a very small world in IT in Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Have a look at it@cork to get you started.

http://www.itcork.ie/

I'm surprised by r_F_r's comment.

Why are you surprised dahamsta?
    Just my opinion (and the opinion of many people I've worked with in Cork).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

IT in cork is very limited.

tech wrote: »
    IT in cork is very limited.

Compared to Dublin .....

Thats about it really .... its miles ahead of Shannon, Galway, Limerick and Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

craichoe wrote: »
    Compared to Dublin .....

Thats about it really .... its miles ahead of Shannon, Galway, Limerick and Waterford

Know a lot of people who have lost jobs outside Dublin and it is very hard to replace them in the same city. The choice just doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

the it cork website is good, nice source of info, what type of IT do most of you people work in?

the it cork website is good, nice source of info, what type of IT do most of you people work in?

super duper Java development!

• Advertisement

I don't anymore.. i moved to Holland as the IT job market in Ireland is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm a .NET architect/developer and would wholeheartedly agree that the IT scene in Cork is quite limited. Case in point: I actually work from home in Cork for a Dublin-based company, and with some of the pathetic salaries I see offered for senior roles in Cork, that isn't going to change any time soon.

A big consideration for any move to Cork is the lack of job market liquidity that results from the much smaller population. This can dramatically increase the time taken to find a job, if you are unfortunate enough to be let go. I know a number of very gifted engineers currently facing redundancy who are having to cast their nets very far in an effort to find work. Some are family men, for whom any move would be very disruptive.

Don't get me wrong, I see absolutely no comparison between the quality of life in Cork to that in Dublin (and neither I nor my wife are originally from either city). I genuinely wouldn't move back to Dublin if my salary was doubled. But it's only right and proper to point out the downsides too when somebody is considering a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Hi Craichoe, what line of IT work are you into ? Is there big oppurnity in Holland?

Advertisement