Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend good pub grub?

• 29-05-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

myself the my partner are looking to get something to eat, dont know where to go, as we havent much funds, any ideaswhere to go????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Geoffs is good but a little on the pricey side.

The Showboat is good but a little out of the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

heard the showboat is good for grub

might give it a try, ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I'm a big fan of the Uluru's carvery. Their beef is top notch

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paddy Browns - highly recommended. Its fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

becketts is smashing for food as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

The Mansion
    The Showboat
    The Exchange
    Three Ships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Agree with the Uluru or even Oscars on the Dunmore Rd., really disagree with Becketts though.Have eaten there twice wasn't impressed the first time and second time actually got sick in the middle of the food as it was so bad and fairly sure the veg was gone off and meat badly cooked.Was in with a party of 8 that all had different dishes and although they didn't get sick they were very unimpressed and one person thought the potatoes were that smash stuff.Don't know if it was as have never eaten the stuff but wasn't impressed.But then again have heard good things about the place too, so could have just me being unlucky there twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

was that recently, cuz i have not been there in about 2 months ?? - i know the food used to be good there !!!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

as always - my fav pub food is Revolution, John St -
    they even post their specials and menu online now
    www.revolutionwaterford.com

if ur in Fridays - me and al the suit brigade will be there
    but me a coffee will ya!

btw - Ribs and Burgers recommended -
    and the new steak bap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Magicalmac

Showboat all the way !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

daftdave wrote: »
    was that recently, cuz i have not been there in about 2 months ?? - i know the food used to be good there !!!! lol

was about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

i used to eat all the time in becketts because its so close to where i live, and i always held the place in high esteem. a few months ago i got a really bad fillet steak. my wifes food was also bad, she had prawns which actually smelt off. i didnt complain much, just mentioned it to the waiter on the way out. chalked to down to the chef having a bad day.
    went there again a week after, but this time the food was really dire. when i say bad, i mean really bad. it was pure slop. needless to say i will never go there again. the food was really good when they opened first, but went downhill in the last few months. i inquired with the waiter and he said that the same chef is there since they first opened so i just dont understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'll always go to the Mansion House or the Showboat... Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

halfway house on the tramore road does great grub or the woodlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Here is my 2 cents.

I eat out regularly 3-5 times a week and would consider myself a picky eater.

Some of my favourites
    • Halfway Hse, Tramore Rd -very good value i think it is 8.95 euro for main meal. Popular with myself and the other guys from work. The Chicken curry is tasty.
    • Ramada, Cork Rd - can be pricey but have a wide variety, main course can work out at 11 euro. Plus I noticed they up the price at the weekends. The turkey and stuffing carvery is one of my favourites. Desserts dont look or taste too appealing to be honest.
    • Becketts on the Dunmore Rd - tad bit pricey but food always tastes great.
    • Belfry, City Centre - Tasty and reasonable food. Untapped resource that not many people know about if you ask me. Food is quite good and I know the chef who works there used to be the main chef from Bodega. He left bodega for better socialable hours just in case anyone is wondering.

Hit and Misses
    • The Holycross, sometimes I would finish my plate and other times I wouldn't. The toasted special is always good, they use fresh cooked meat as oppose to the cheap shiney ham from a packet. Place is always cold out there even though they can have a fire lighting. Bring something warm.
    • The Exchange, up beside the Garda Barracks, meat always tastes great but mash & vegetables always taste bland. Main reason I like going there is their hot chocolate fudge cake, it is the best in the city.
    • The Uluru, above average but I enjoy eating in the other palces I mentioned above.
    • The Mansion Hse - I'm convinced the chefs from Mansion Hse and Showboat worked with each other before cause the gravy has a unique taste in both places. Food is just average.
    Wouldnt go back
    • The Showboat - I am not a fish fan but the last few times I was in the showboat they juice from the fish (haddock I think) got mixed into the mash. Ruined my dinner. Other than that it is ok. It happened a few times to me and that was after I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe it was just a once off thing.
    • The Three Shipps - very bland no taste in the food. That wasnt just me, I went with 5 people from work. That was a year ago but I couldnt be bothered trying again. Havent heard anyone saying it was tasty since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Revolution does do Carvery...I started reading your posts from the bottom up for some reason...the crediability went pretty early.

Revolution does do Carvery...I started reading your posts from the bottom up for some reason...the crediability went pretty early.
    Sorry I apologise. I'll remove that bit.

I agree with you about the three shippes though, can't remember ever getting nice food there

Has anyone eaten in The Cove (Dunmore Rd opposite the Uluru) lately?
    Is it any good?

Saw on the paper a while back a new chef is there so may be worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I personally think there's very little difference between all the pubs and hotels lunchtime carvery options. All the food would be prepared in an identical manner and they all have the standard offerings of two choices of meat joints and a fish option along with all the various trimmings! Most desserts are now bought in from the same suppliers so unless there's something unique on the menu, chances are you can get the exact same thing elsewhere.

In saying this, I don't think there's anything wrong with the food on offer in the City and in fact it's generally of a very high quality and I've never had a lunch that I haven't devoured within minutes!

My advice to the OP would be to go out there and experiment. It probably won't be the actual food that will the deciding factor in choosing whether to return or not. Instead, you'll find that the atmosphere inside the place and whether or not the staff are helpful even when they're busy will sway your opinion of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Personally I think the Uluru Carvery especially and most carverys for that matter are awful. Why do people want to pay for food that has been potentially lying around for hours. They all have a uniform reheated school dinner taste to them. Granted occasionally you can get lucky and most of the food on your plate has just come from the oven or pan but luck should not be a factor in having decent grub.

Here is my 2 cents.

I eat out regularly 3-5 times a week and would consider myself a picky eater.

Some of my favourites
    • Halfway Hse, Tramore Rd -very good value i think it is 8.95 euro for main meal. Popular with myself and the other guys from work. The Chicken curry is tasty.
    • Ramada, Cork Rd - can be pricey but have a wide variety, main course can work out at 11 euro. Plus I noticed they up the price at the weekends. The turkey and stuffing carvery is one of my favourites. Desserts dont look or taste too appealing to be honest.
    • Becketts on the Dunmore Rd - tad bit pricey but food always tastes great.
    • Belfry, City Centre - Tasty and reasonable food. Untapped resource that not many people know about if you ask me. Food is quite good and I know the chef who works there used to be the main chef from Bodega. He left bodega for better socialable hours just in case anyone is wondering.

Hit and Misses
    • The Holycross, sometimes I would finish my plate and other times I wouldn't. The toasted special is always good, they use fresh cooked meat as oppose to the cheap shiney ham from a packet. Place is always cold out there even though they can have a fire lighting. Bring something warm.
    • The Exchange, up beside the Garda Barracks, meat always tastes great but mash & vegetables always taste bland. Main reason I like going there is their hot chocolate fudge cake, it is the best in the city.
    • The Uluru, above average but I enjoy eating in the other palces I mentioned above.
    • The Mansion Hse - I'm convinced the chefs from Mansion Hse and Showboat worked with each other before cause the gravy has a unique taste in both places. Food is just average.
    Wouldnt go back
    • The Showboat - I am not a fish fan but the last few times I was in the showboat they juice from the fish (haddock I think) got mixed into the mash. Ruined my dinner. Other than that it is ok. It happened a few times to me and that was after I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe it was just a once off thing.
    • The Three Shipps - very bland no taste in the food. That wasnt just me, I went with 5 people from work. That was a year ago but I couldnt be bothered trying again. Havent heard anyone saying it was tasty since.

lol. I know him too btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Revolution- for consistency and friendly staff
    The show boat - for absolute quantity
    The Exchange - for their curry on Friday's
    Beckett's - is poor and unless you are a native the staff are not very friendly. Poor service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

well butty wrote: »
    Revolution- for consistency and friendly staff
    The show boat - for absolute quantity
    The Exchange - for their curry on Friday's
    Beckett's - is poor and unless you are a native the staff are not very friendly. Poor service

Was just going to say the same thing about the exchange, I didnt even realise they did grub until recently enough.

Revolution I agree about the food, its lovely and probably one of my favorite carverys - but not the staff (most of them are grand), last day I was in there for food some one with a face like a well slapped arse got a jaw on her because I asked could she give me another glass because the glass she gave me my drink in was covered in lipstick. Sloshed it out into another glass spilling half of it and making the other half flat before bouncing it off the counter and walking away. You wouldn't mind it was about 2PM and the bar wasnt busy at all.

Food is good in the belfry too but last time I was in there I remember thinking it was very expensive.

Gingerman do good food as well.

Waynecarr wrote: »
    Personally I think the Uluru Carvery especially and most carverys for that matter are awful. Why do people want to pay for food that has been potentially lying around for hours. They all have a uniform reheated school dinner taste to them. Granted occasionally you can get lucky and most of the food on your plate has just come from the oven or pan but luck should not be a factor in having decent grub.
    Most pub grub is ready to be eaten from 12:30pm onwards. So if you want it freshly cooked, then you should be fine if you eat at 1pm.

Sometime food prepared or reheated can taste better long time after it has been made. Personally I think Lasagna can taste better when reheated. Could be just me.

Ah come on AdMMM, get off the fence :) give us some of you favourites and not so favourites and maybe a few reasons for each.
    The OP asked people for opinions to help him.

I for one will be trying out Revolution sometime soon after reading a few comments people have said. Only for that I probably wouldnt be bothered.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    I personally think there's very little difference between all the pubs and hotels lunchtime carvery options. All the food would be prepared in an identical manner and they all have the standard offerings of two choices of meat joints and a fish option along with all the various trimmings! Most desserts are now bought in from the same suppliers so unless there's something unique on the menu, chances are you can get the exact same thing elsewhere.
    I disagree with you here, a good chef can give a place a good or bad name. A good Chef is picky where he/she sources their food and take pride in what they serve. I would guess a chef can also be hindered in producing good food if they are forced (management decision) to use sourced food that is cheap or not of great quality because some manager is inflexible, but these tend to loose customers to the better places who are flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I generally goto Brunch casue their Coffee is lovely the staff is friendly and TBH there is some serious eye candy working there :D

As for Pub grub it would depend on what I was on the mood but in general

The Showbat: Like has been said Quanity over Quality but its good value dinner
    Reveloutions: I don't go in there for a seperate reason to food but its a decent menu
    Kazbar: I like it in there, Ususally quiet enough and nice food.
    Belfry: Really like there Wraps and nice atmosphere.
    Tower Hotel: Nice Carvey IMO, Not much selection though
    Granville: Same as Tower Hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

anyone try chestnuts in the cove bar on dunmore road, its gone trough a few changes over the last year it would appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

if you like italian then i,d suggest goin to emelianos high st service is of high standard and the waiting staff are,nt pushing to get your hard earned cash and kick you out the door after a half hour like other restaurants and actually give time to have a chat with ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sack lunch

Fitzpatrick's Manor Lodge started a buffet lunch recently. Only been there on a Sunday but it was excellent

Advertisement