Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1890 from mobile phone

• 29-05-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Out of curiousty, when playing around with mobile/pc bluetooth connection, I tried dialling one of the ISP's 1890 number. However, I can't make a connection. I've also tried manually dialling it from another mobile, but same result - the triad tone.

Are these 1890 'data' numbers now blocked from mobiles so that GSM has to be used? (GSM costing more than the dialup).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

on meteor an 1890 number is 15c a minute. their gsm data price is 9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Ok, fair point. I'd have to check again, but my Vodafone bill seemed to be more expensive for GSM.

Interesting though, the same 1890 number is not available from a Meteor phone. Can the isp block it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

1013 wrote: »
    Can the isp block it?

Yup. Given the higher termination costs associated with mobiles, a lot of 1800/1890/1850 numbers do block mobiles.

Is there any way around the blocking? Any alternative routes?

It would suit sometimes to be able to dial an 1890 number from the pc using the mobile. It did work previously, but not recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Could you try 1890 987 996 for me please? It's my number, if you want, just hide your number and if you could also tell me what time you rang at so I know it's you :) As far as I know, every number can ring mine, I hope:eek:

• Advertisement

It's a per-number setting. So if I set up an 1890 number, I can specify not to receive any calls originated from mobiles. Obviously, if I was VanTasks.ie, I wouldn't want that restriction, but if I was a free ISP who was taking (some of) the hit on the cost of the 1890 termination, I would want to restrict it. There's no way around the block (other than originating the call from a different network.. landline presumably).

Cormie -I know I can dial some 1890 numbers, just not an ISP which used to work. But thanks anyway.

Cgarvey - That could be the answer... As I said, it used to work (until I upgraded the phone -coincidental?) but not anymore, even from different mobile networks.

It just seems, to me anyway, to be more expensive to use GSM compared with the times I was able to use the 1890 number. Maybe they realised.....

Maybe they realised.....

My money's on that one anyway!

Ok, so leaving 1890 numbers aside for the moment, how can I dial a number from my pc, using the mobile as a modem?

Again it was something I was able to do simply by entering the number. Now, the newer Nokia pc suite which came with the new phone doesn't allow numbers, it looks for an access point instead. (I have no idea what that is, or where I'd get the info).

I'm more thinking that if I was away and unable to get Wifi etc, that as an option, I could use the phone as a modem and dial a local internet provider. (I accept that I'd probably need to have an email address with a local provider etc but that shouldn't be a problem).

Or if *really* stuck, I could access the net by connecting back to here (Vodafone). But I don't seem to have the option of entering phone numbers anymore?

you're thinking of the old type of wap where the phone dialled a phone number. with packet switched access it uses an access point. if you're on vodafone, the access point you want is "isp.vodafone.ie" (without the quotes). the username and password are vodafone and you shouldn't need any initialisation string

the cost is 1c per KB if you don't have a data package but that's still probably less than about 20c per minute or whatever vodafone charges.

• Advertisement

just confirmed that with a nokia e65. you'll need to enter the vodafone isp settings into your phone if it doesn't have them. what type of phone do you have?

Is it not €1 per day for 50mb? :)

cormie wrote: »
    Is it not €1 per day for 50mb? :)

that's only on the live.vodafone.com access point and it doesn't work properly

just confirmed. google works fine with isp.vodafone.ie but with live.vodafone.com i get in firefox:

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what type of phone do you have?

A Nokia 6230i.

I'll give that a try - cheers!

that's only on the live.vodafone.com access point and it doesn't work properly

I was hoping this would be a replacement for my mobile broadband that I pay o2 €7.50 a month for, because I only use it maybe 2 days a month, meaning €2 a month. So I went to the effort of getting a free sim from o2, then porting that to Vodafone so I'd get €20 credit to be able to get 20 days of broadband@50mb a day and it doesn't work :(

in the UK, I was able to use their £1 a day for 15mb broadband when I was there (much cheaper than the €12 it cost me to download 1.5mb of data when I was roaming:eek:).

Pity it doesn't work here :(

A Nokia 6230i.

I'll give that a try - cheers!

i think you'll have to put the isp settings onto your phone. you can get them sent to your phone from here:
    https://nokiags.wdsglobal.com/standard?siteLanguageId=118

select the internet settings, not the WAP/GPRS
    cormie wrote: »
    I was hoping this would be a replacement for my mobile broadband that I pay o2 €7.50 a month for, because I only use it maybe 2 days a month, meaning €2 a month. So I went to the effort of getting a free sim from o2, then porting that to Vodafone so I'd get €20 credit to be able to get 20 days of broadband@50mb a day and it doesn't work :(

in the UK, I was able to use their £1 a day for 15mb broadband when I was there (much cheaper than the €12 it cost me to download 1.5mb of data when I was roaming:eek:).

Pity it doesn't work here :(

i didn't really read that thread you had about that properly. if i had i would've told you it wouldn't work :D

Hehe, no probs, just a good job I went for the cheapo option and got o2 to send me a free sim so I could then get a free sim off Vodafone :p

I wonder will it ever work?

i think you'll have to put the isp settings onto your phone. you can get them sent to your phone from here:
    https://nokiags.wdsglobal.com/standard?siteLanguageId=118

select the internet settings, not the WAP/GPRS

Cheers! Have the settings and can connect to the net, using the mobile - slow of course, but.

However, do I understand now that I can't use any dial up numbers? So, if I'm in the UK, I have to access Vodafone here using the pre-loaded settings on the phone & the Nokia suite?

As opposed to being able to dial a local (when in UK) provider?

It makes it more difficult to use a bluetooth connection as far as I can see...

i wouldn't say it makes it more difficult. The process is the same no matter where in the world you are. You just connect the phone via bt, open the pc suite and select connect to the internet

i don't know if you can still use dial up numbers, i never really looked into it but it's probably still possible. If you're going to england you should get a 3 pay as you go sim. You can get a 1gb data allowance for e10 a month that works in england and a few other countries at no extra cost. You'd have to get a different phone though because 3 sims only work in 3g phones

• Advertisement
Advertisement