Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

• 12-04-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

any form of game turned into burger meat is just amazing

venison and rabbit are partiularly delicious, take the leanest and best meat, using a grinder of any description mince the meat, bit of egg to bind, some onion and spices thrown in and lob them on the bbq definitely have the weather for it) and oh my god i get hungry just thinking about it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Score some duck breasts (Pochard) with a knife, rub a little sea salt into the skin and marinade for a few hours in honey.
    Cook in an oven until golden on the outside and a little pink inside.
    Take some Tango Lettuce, Lollo Rosso lettuce, red cos lettuce, wild rocket, chervil, chives, coriander and flat leaf parsley and red onion. I find this a little impossible, so nip down to the store and pick yourself up a bag of mixed salad leaves and herbs! :b
    Drizzle some good quality green pesto, shave a little parmasan cheese on top and scatter your pieces of honey duck breast on that. Probably about 5 million calories, but with all the green stuff you can convince the wife your eating healthy! Enjoy, I did!

PIC_0001-8.jpg
    PIC_0002-11.jpg

Mallards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To kick this off:

Posted it a few days ago, but it will certainly do as a starter.

Take half a dozen pigeon breasts.
    Crack some black pepper over them.
    Heat sesame oil in a pan until hot.
    Add pigeon breasts to pan.
    Add a dash of soy/worcestershire sauce.
    add some red wine and turn down the pan.
    When done, serve with good bread (soda farls for those of you who can get them, toasted, with melting butter)
    Only takes about ten minutes and it's ready to enjoy. :)

It'd take well to a nice sauce of some kind too, a light pepper type sauce or something of that ilk methinks, or a bit of mushroom in the sauce too. Anyone has any ideas for the sauce, that'd be interesting too. I'm in a game cooking mood now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Hey all shooting times have got some great recipes here is the link enjoy :D:Dhttp://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/recipes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

great idea for a sticky:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Has anyone tried dry-curing venison.... always thought it might be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Ok so heres my 2 cents worth. Great idea for a sticky, badly needed.
    Last time I remember eating rabbit was when my Mother cooked rabbit many years ago. I got a rabbit last night; head shot at 76 large paces away, say 75m, resting rifle on a timber fence. Must be my best shot yet.

Soaked the rabbit overnight in salt water, next day simmered for 2 hours with 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 1 onion, and a little salt, low heat. Took meat from the bone, very tender, and added Dolmio Carbonara source, served with rice. Very nice.

Big thank you to Dwighet for taking me out with him on Saturday and showing me how to skin a rabbit. Dwighet now I know why I missed that rabbit on Saturday, my gun shoots high without the mod on.

Pheasant leg curry.

Take the ingredients below and some chillies (not shown),

IMG_0416_2.jpg

Start by browning your pheasant legs. Breast meat or other meats like chicken or beef etc work well too.

IMG_0417_2.jpg

Chop up the onion and garlic. Make the onion different sizes use some smaller stuff for the rice.

IMG_0418_2.jpg

Next fry of the onion in the pan slowly until soft. Add the garlic fry for another minute. Add a tea spoon of Garam Masala powder, 1 teaspoon of ground tumeric, a mug full of canned chopped tomatoes. Some salt and pepper, chop up a few chillies and add. Half a teaspoon of curry powder and a squirt of tomato paste.

When this has all stirred in nicely add around half a mug of hot water to keep it moist as it simmers in the back ground. Lastly add the pheasant legs back in, cover with sauce and let it cook.

IMG_0419_2.jpg

The Rice.

Fry of a little onion and garlic slowly. When soft add half a mug of basmati rice a teaspoon of tumeric, a little salt, a teaspoon of cummin seeds.

IMG_0421_2.jpg

The important part is the water. Add boiling water until it just covers the ingredients and a bit more for luck. Give it a stir and put the lid on. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Don't even look at it for 10 minutes. When you do turn the heat off and add some frozen peas. Put the lid back on and wait for a further 5 or 6 minutes. Serve up and eat. I usually have it with Naan bread but as I'm on a diet I cut that out and gave half the meal I served to my other half!

Enjoy!

IMG_0422_2.jpg

Mallards

Mallards that looks the business, can't wait to try it out.

Yeah, I'm going to take a crack at that sometime soon, over the weekend perhaps, it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

any chance i can drive up to donegal for dinner in yours mallards??? lol :p

looks great!

• Advertisement

It'd be a good idea to get other people's responses to dishes they try from the thread as well actually, or anything they might have changed and the like. Personally, I intend fully researching mallards' curry in order to give an informed review in the near future. :pac:

Stevo any time! But Im in Tyrone!

I found with any chicken dish you can substitute winged game. Although I like to just roast Snipe and woodcock as I love their flavour on their own. Another good meal that my family likes (Even the kids) is partridge and pheasant in satay sauce with egg fried rice. Yum Yum!

Bird is basically roasted. Meat taken off and stirred with a packet of satay sauce from your local supermarket. Add some chillie to spice it up a little and onion and peppers.
    Then take the rice, put in a pan, add just enough boiling water to cover it. add a dash of salt. Put the lid on turn the heat to the lowest and don't touch it for ten mins. Then turn the heat off, stir and put the lid back on.
    While it cooks in its own steam, Chop an onion and a fat clove of garlic.
    Take 2 eggs and beat them. fry them like an omellette then cut into small pieces. You are ready to go!

Stir fry the onions on a very hot pan. when starting to cook and still crunchy add the garlic. 30 secs later add the rice stirring all the time so it doesn't stick. Next add the chopped up egg pieces. Then some frozen peas. Stirfry for another minute then add a couple of good slugs of dark soy sauce. Turn out on a dish and add your satay game bird.

The egg fried rice also goes very well with rabbit or pheasant meat in a babarcue sauce. Both dishes go very well with beer!!!

Mallards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Has anyone tried dry-curing venison.... always thought it might be nice!

Did it once.Venison is a dry enough meat[not much fat in the tissue] so it comes out very ,very shrunk and dry and leathery,with a strong,depending how long you hung the meat for game taste.
    Have done it with beef with better results.

Beef or venison Jerky.

Cut meat into long thin strips.About your thumb width is fine.
    Marinade in a solution of my fav,water ,wostercher sauce,Jalepeno pepper,and salt,in amount equal to the amount of meat you have for 12/14 hours.

Take from the solution and put in strips on a grill over aa tray in an oven on the lowest setting for appx 12/24 hours.The idea is to cure not cook the meat.It is done when the meat strips look curled and dry,it should be somwhat flexible still ,not like over done rashers..Best way to test is put it on a paper napkin.If there is no grease stains present it is done.
    Great nosh when you are out hunting and want somthing to chew on.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Beef or venison Jerky.

Cut meat into long thin strips.About your thumb width is fine.
    Marinade in a solution of my fav,water ,wostercher sauce,Jalepeno pepper,and salt,in amount equal to the amount of meat you have for 12/14 hours.

Take from the solution and put in strips on a grill over aa tray in an oven on the lowest setting for appx 12/24 hours.The idea is to cure not cook the meat.It is done when the meat strips look curled and dry,it should be somwhat flexible still ,not like over done rashers..Best way to test is put it on a paper napkin.If there is no grease stains present it is done.
    Great nosh when you are out hunting and want somthing to chew on.

That was gonna be my next question! Deffo goona try that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

E. Fudd wrote: »
    That was gonna be my next question! Deffo goona try that!

i had venison jerky some years ago i was given some buy jack kelly of the gun shop in wexford .it must have been ok as i eat it .i gave some to a friend mine ,,he chomped away on it for a while and swallowed it ,what do you thing willie ,its alwright but i cant see the point of it ,was his reply. i seen ray mears making it on survival show i have his wild food book some where hear il have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Rabbit Curry

I took a look at mallards recepie and thought id try something similar on a rabbit

I selected a young rabbit for cooking - just shy of being fully grown

I find the old ones smell a bit ...

Anyways i filleted the rabbit taking the meat of its hind legs and back bone

Boiled it for 2 hours and then placed it on a hot pan and stirr fryed it into a curry using standard sauses + ingredients ie curry onions peppers etc..

Served it on a pan of rice...

Im not that into game as i find it a little strong - but this was top notch stuff and tender as fcuk.

Have to start doing this more often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hang on - you boiled the meat for two hours???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Yeap 2 -3 Hours slow simmer and then lash everythingh into frying pan for 10 - 20 mins

On this occasion it was fileld to fork in 24 hrs to hanging around if you parden the pun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah, 2-3 hours simmering :D
    2-3 hours boiling, and I reckon you'd have rabbit soup at best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

aaaa you cant beat fish and chips:p make sure the fish you shoot that are in the barrel are fresh:eek::cool:

• Advertisement

A YouTube video of a chief dressing a rabbit and why you should soak the rabbit overnight and simmer for about 2 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpwhOE74TMA&feature=related

clivej wrote: »
    A YouTube video of a chief dressing a rabbit and why you should soak the rabbit overnight and simmer for about 2 hours.

dressing a rabbit overnight put a overcoat on him he will be warm
    in the morning to eat him:p

I currently have a pheasant in the fridge, due for an attempt at mallards' curry on thursday. Tomorrow, I'm doing pigeon breasts. It's a good week. :p

I currently have a pheasant in the fridge, due for an attempt at mallards' curry on thursday. Tomorrow, I'm doing pigeon breasts. It's a good week. :p

good luck with it attempt at mallards curry:Dps put a few toilet rolls for
    about 12 hours in the fridge and then OPEN FAST AND USED IT:p
    if it goes pear shape:D:D

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!:D:D:D

Mallards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

hahahaha, just listening to music as i read this.....Johnny Cash-Ring of Fire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

clivej wrote: »

I wonder how long that bunny has been sitting. I was told if you shot with a shotgun you need to gut in the field to make sure you haven't gone through the gut. Makes for a stickier warmer job.

I owe the mammy a birthday dinner (Couldn't think of anything to get her), so currently have a bag of pigeon breasts marinating in a solution of honey, red wine, soy sauce, drop of worcestershire sauce. Going to dust it with black pepper before firing it on the barbecue later, serving it with a goats cheese salad and a redcurrant and honey dressing. Reports to follow. ;)

Sound class IWM! Could you get a picture as well?

Cheers,

Mallards

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, people got started before I could find a camera, but I can report that it was a resounding success.

Marinated the pigeon breasts in honey, soy sauce, red wine and worcestershire sauce (ziploc bag in the fridge is the job). Fried them in sesame oil (Weather sucked too much for a barbecue). Made a salad of mixed leaves, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber and chopped goats cheese (couldn't find pine nuts to toast, but would ideally have had them in too). Chopped up the pigeon and added it in. Served with ever so slightly watered down redcurrant jelly. Bloody excellent. I love pigeon, and if I can get a shotgun while there's still barley in the fields, I will be knocking seven shades out of them. Nearly cracked a tooth on some shot tonight too. :p

Advertisement