Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

For the above, blast it at 180C for a half hour, then turn it to 120 or even 110 for about 3 hours. Make sure its well wrapped in tin foil for the second stage to retain juice etc. Check to see if the meat after the longer cook comes away from the bone.

Better still try 'stewing' the whole joint after the initial 1/2 hour roast.

As for roasting a leg, many people cook the joints at too high a temperature, I have started cooking at a lower temperature of 150C for all my joints (meat type not herbal), start at 180C for 30 minutes and then turn down the oven temp and cook away.

If cooking birds, start the birds on their breast side down for the 30 minutes and turn right side up for the remainder, this allows the heat to penetrate the back bones while slowing down the cooking time of the breast meat so that by the time the legs are cooked through the breast meat is not over cooked.

Back to the legs, the probes are the business but many people still over cook the for two reasons.

1. Too high an internal temperature....if you are using a whole joint i.e. one that has not being bone and rolled you should be aiming for an internal temperature of between 57C - 66C (rare to medium), boned and rolled joints should read 72C (to ensure food safety)

2. Not resting meat prior to carving..... when you remove the joint from the oven and insert a probe, skewer or knife and bloody juice comes out the tendency for most is to bang it back in the oven 'its not cooked'.. wrong if the probe reads right or the skewer etc is hot to the touch then its cooked, now you must leave it to rest, lightly draped in tin foil, for at least a half an hour.
    As the meat relaxes after its cooking time in the oven the juices will move out from the centre of the joint and the 'bloodiness' will disperse among the tissue. Not only will this improve the look of the joint it will improve the eating quality and ease of carving.

If your consistently the same joints and roughly within the same weight take a note of the approximate cooking times and use them as a yard stick.

Sorry about the lecture, but you caught me in teaching mode.

Perfect advice, thanks CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This seems like a lot of work, but it's not. I've done this a few times and got it right. It's a long post, that's all!

Tried it with lamb and it was really good. Pretty spicy, great for preserving the meat (what it was originally designed for) but.. if you like a kick to your meat it's very good. This is good for one pound LB of meat. Double, triple, quadruple up if you have a surplus of meat.

Before you make the paste, mix the juice of half a lemon with the minced meat and leave it to "cook" whilst you make the paste.

PASTE! - This is the magic.

4 cloves of garlic
    1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil
    4 green chillies (deseeded)
    Half a teaspoon of coriander powder
    1 teaspoon of cumin powder
    Half a teaspoon of crushed black pepper
    Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
    Half a teaspoon of garam masala
    2 teaspoons of grated ginger
    1 teaspoon of salt
    The juice of half a lemon

Chop everything up and blend. I used one of those hand blenders in a bowl. Worked out grand, took a few minutes, but I had a good rough paste with bits of green chillie skin visible, I like that, shows it's homemade.

If you have any cuts or scrapes on your hands it's gonna hurt, keep the kids away, the paste is fairly strong, don't have hanky panky with the wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend or yourself without washing your hands and under your nails! Don't scratch your balls either! Not suitable for the dogs.

Get a fresh coriander plant (supermarket style) and take half of it, stalks and all and chop it all down.

Mix the paste with the meat along with the copped fresh coriander and make "long" burgers. I had to mix one slice of bread crumbs in to keep the mix together. You can do it on skewers, but it didn't work for me. I made "patties" of meat in a sweet potatoe shape.

I BBQ'd the meat gently, had to use my hands and a ladle to turn them, but once they were hot they weren't as delicate.

I served them in pitta bread with sour cream, fresh salad leaves, fresh tomatoes and red onions.

Cost for first attempt - about €9 including meat - fed three people
    Cost for second attempt - €4 (because I had all the spice powders) - fed three people

Cost for eight people at home for All Ireland final or RWC matches - Meat, coriander plant, four tomatoes, two onions a lemon and 9 green chillies... Very little so, if you have a stash of mince meat, it's going to be very cheap.

I bought the spices in an Asian market in Dublin. The packets were around €1 or less each and had a cup full of spice in each bag. Fresh coriander, chillies, garlic and ginger are in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Cool recipe J.R, I'd say its good for the beer.

Try either cold very dry cooked and mashed lentils or use your hand blender to puree cold cooked rice and mix into the kebab meat and then chill well, this should help bind and retain all the juice.

My lads could be dining on these this Saturday night.

Ah.. the cold rice is a good one! Probably don’t need to blend it, it would look very authentic without blending it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

lads
    Recipie for duck HAMS!!!!!

if ye find yourselves with plenty of duck at the moment try this
    It's easy ands savage in a sandwich or with brown bread

2 Large duck breasts
    ½ cup Salt (100gs)
    2 TSP of Ground black pepper
    ½ TSP of Herbes de Provence (or Thyme on its own work well)
    2 TBSP cider or red wine vinegar

Muslin
    String

The duck should have its skin and fat intact, shave off the skin leaving a good layer of fat behind.

Score the fat cross-hatch fashion just to the flesh.

Rub the salt, pepper and herbs into both sides of the duck so it is completely covered and place on a few pieces of kitchen roll on a plate, cover with kitchen roll and put in the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day remove the duck breasts and wipe off all the seasonings with a damp cloth. Put the red wine vinegar in a shallow dish and dip the flesh side in for 20 seconds and then dry well.

Place the breast fat side down onto a piece of muslin (20 inches by 20 inches) and roll up in a nice tight cyclinder to ensure there are no air pockets. Tie up nice and tight with string from end to end.

Hang the hams in a cool dry place such as a garage or cellar for 2 weeks, they should be done when they have a bit of give when pressed between thumb and forefinger.The hams will last in the fridge for 1-2 weeks

To seal them once used, just dip the cut end in some red wine vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

Should look something like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

This Smoked bacon and Buttered Leek Stuffing from Aldi goes very well with venison. Had some with venison hearts the other day and it was scrumptious :):):)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    This Smoked bacon and Buttered Leek Stuffing from Aldi goes very well with venison. Had some with venison hearts the other day and it was scrumptious :):):)

Hmmmmmmmm......venison heart :D

I got two calves over Christmas, I cored the hearts and opened them out into one flat slab of meat, dusted them in seasoned flour, pan fried them with their liver and smoked streaky bacon.
    The heart meat was like a tender minute steak.

Hmmmmmmmm......venison heart :D

I got two calves over Christmas, I cored the hearts and opened them out into one flat slab of meat, dusted them in seasoned flour, pan fried them with their liver and smoked streaky bacon.
    The heart meat was like a tender minute steak.

Yes, very tender, I like to use as much of the animal as I can, but unlike lamb or beef heart I find it a bit bland. Found that this stuffing lifted the flavour nicely.

Must try frying it next time :)

Anyone ever try the kidneys ???? Venison steak and kidney pie anyone ???

I've been wanting to attempt makeing my own corned venison for the last year or so. So a few weeks ago I bought in some curing salt from England (I had a place in ireland but lost the contact details).
    So I used a frozen piece of brisket I had, rubbed it with salt, black pepper and allspice.
    Make the brine as per package instructions, I made two litres. Mix curing salt and some of the spice, sugar and bay leaf add to some of the water then boil until salt dissolves. Add the remaining cold water and allow brine to cool completely.
    IMAG1500_zpsdy2ruxtm.jpg
    Use plastic, glass or stone whare, do not use metal. Add your meat, insure its submerged (weight if needs be). Store under refrigeration, I left mine for 9 days prior to cooking.
    IMAG1508_zpsxg61018o.jpg

Boil as per corned beef until tender, then enjoy.

IMAG1510_zpso9ljm13w.jpg

The next time I will omit the spices and just go with brine.

• Advertisement

From yesterday's outing

IMAG1649_zpsakheqpl7.jpg
    Roast breast of grouse wrapped in smoked back bacon on a bed of leek mash with a game stuffing(drippings from roast carcass, grouse stock, smoked bacon trimmings and breadcrumb)
    Pan fried grouse legs finished in a simple stew of vegetables, game stock and finished before service with pickled red cabbage.
    Finish the dish with deep fried potato cubes.

IMAG1647_zpsvre8y9tt.jpg

Ingredients

-1 lb. venison – tenderloin or backstrap is preferred

-6 jalapeno peppers

-1/2 package of bacon (cut slices of bacon in half)

-Cream cheese

-1 onion (sliced into 1/2 inch pieces)

-Italian dressing

Directions

Soak toothpicks in water
    Cut venison into 1 inch chunks
    Remove seed from the jalapenos and cut into small slices or 1/2 inch chunks. Omit if you don’t like spice.
    Cut onions into 1/2 inch flakes
    On a cutting board layout the 1/2 strips of bacon in a line. Assemble jalapeno, venison, onion, and a swipe of cream cheese in a tower formation placed in center of the bacon strip. Swiping the cream cheese onto the onion slice is what I have found to be the easiest.
    Wrap bacon around the stack and stick with a toothpick through the middle to hold contents together.
    Place the bites in a bowl or tupperware container and marinade with Italian dressing for 2-24 hours.
    Grill on medium heat and cook until bacon is done.

Link to video here
    http://bit.ly/2dtsoGW

I have an amazing glaze here for anyone BBQing meat. I've used it on a leg of lamb for indirect BBQing, but will work with any joint.

It's simple, plentyful, cheap and tastes very very good. It's from Cape Town, has Asian, English and Dutch origins. Good for strong tasting meat.

1/4 cup of worchestershire sauce.
    1/4 cup of soya sauce.
    1/4 cup of dark brown sugar.
    Four minced garlic cloves. (I used a planer)
    Four minced thumbs of ginger. (planer again)
    The juice of one lemon.
    Five table spoons of oil. (I used Irish rape seed)

All in a small pan or pot, boil, them simmer for a few minutes, keep stiring. Then let it cool and brush it on to the meat the night before cooking.

You'll have lots left over, keep glazing every now and then.

This glaze really really works with gamey food. I added some Star anise.

It tends to make the exterior of the meat very sticky, it penetrates through the meat if you make scores with a knife. I stuffed the scores with thin slices of fresh ginger and slow cooked the leg for three hours.

Stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

I always make a stew out of the rabbits I shoot. It turns out delicious every time, but no matter how long I simmer it for, even 6 or 7 hours or more, the meat is still quite tough. Does anyone know any handy ways of making it turn out more tender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

I always make a stew out of the rabbits I shoot. It turns out delicious every time, but no matter how long I simmer it for, even 6 or 7 hours or more, the meat is still quite tough. Does anyone know any handy ways of making it turn out more tender?

i find if i freeze the rabbit for about a week,then fully thaw,then boil for about 3 hours with some pepper corns,its lovely and soft for a stew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭skipking

after skinning and cleaning out the rabbit. leave in a basin of water with a teaspoon of vinegar overnight. it will
    make the meat tender.

That's brilliant, thanks for the suggestions lads

Try a soak in a 5% brine (95% water 5% sea salt) this will make the meat juicy other wise soak for 12 hours in natural yogurt or butter milk to aid tenderness.
    To be honest 6-7 hours is extreme unless your really cooking it low. But by chance if you have rapidly boiled the meat for even an hour or so you'll have toughened the meat beyond the point of tenderness and although it will fall off the bone and to pieces it will be tough and unpalatable.
    Bring your stew to a rabid boil for a few minutes and reduce to a simmer and it should be good in a couple of hours. But do remember to age the rabbits for a few days either that or cook 'em before rigor mortis sets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not surprised it's tough if you are cooking it for 6 or 7 hours. That's way too long. The longer you cook it the tougher it gets as its a lean mean with little connective tissue. It's not the same as slow cooking a rib or shoulder joint.

Cook it at a lower temp, and a shorter time. Once it's full cooked, it's done. Continuing to cook it will only ruin it. (The Irish Mammy approach)

Thanks again for all the advice on this. I always thought tough meat just needed to be cooked longer, makes me realise how clueless I am about the subject! Next time will be better now, very glad I asked this.

• Advertisement

Soak overnight in salted water, simmer for at the most an hour. Prick, stick it with a fork, to test for tenderness.

Boil up rice or spaghetti. Strip off all the now tender meat from the rabbit and put in a pot, add a jar of sauce heat it all up and eat.

Sure am getting some great advice here, never expected so many suggestions.

Thanks again to everybody above.

Coming from a family of cooks, chefs and greengrocers I can't but mention how important seasoning is.

Lots and lots of salt and pepper (before cooking). Not that fine grained, bleached SAXO salt (that's for getting rid of slugs and frost) but good sea salt, and don't buy ****e stuff, Achill island sea salt or Maldon salt with freshly ground pepper... if it's a big joint ground the pepper in a pestle and morter (to save you injuring your wrist with the pepper grinder). Makes a HUGE difference. That mixed with good Irish farmed rape see oil is the ticket... then, after cooking a joint in the oven or BBQ or after frying - leave the meat to settle for fifteen to twenty minutes before carving (ten after frying)... makes rare meat seem not so rare and a lot more tasty. Then season slightly again!

Carving without resting will make it bleed everywhere!

clivej wrote: »
    Soak overnight in salted water, simmer for at the most an hour. Prick, stick it with a fork, to test for tenderness.

Boil up rice or spaghetti. Strip off all the now tender meat from the rabbit and put in a pot, add a jar of sauce heat it all up and eat.

Did exactly this on monday, adding in a jar of rogan gosh sauce, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and threw in some chick peas cooked with onions and herbs left over from the dinner the missus made the day before. With a bed of basmati rice, the word 'delicious' doesn't do it justice! And the rabbit meat couldn't be more tender, thanks to the advice given above.

Looking at Sparks recipe for Pulled Pork HERE and I'm wondering if it would work for Venison ? Anyone tried it, would Venison be too 'soft' a meat for this long cooking ?

Plan on trying it some time during the winter with some neck/shoulder but just said I'd ask here first.

Thoughts ??

Neck, shoulder, breast all perfect for slow cooking both wet and dry methods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Dad used to marinate his rabbits for 24 hrs in cidona to take the wildness out of them:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Can't speak for cidona, but the 'wildness' to which you refer is Urea in the meat. Rabbits don't drink a lot of water, and their hydration comes mostly from dewey grass, hence they have quite a strong "game" flavour unless they're soaked overnight in something which will draw the urea out - that's where you milk/brine/vinegar/etc soaking step comes in.

Any effect the above has on tenderness is incidental - the soaking is about getting that strong taste out of the meat before cooking.

How you cook it after that then is up to you, and depends largely on the age of the rabbit and how long you've aged the meat - plenty of good advice above.

Just a quick simple recipe, but make sure you cut the potatoes and vegtables up small 1/2 centimetres

Ingridients
    350g stewing venison , finely chopped or minced
    100g onion, finely chopped
    200g potatoes (new potatoes, are better), peeled, finely chopped
    200g swede / carrots, peeled, finely diced
    2 tsp ground white pepper / salt (50/50 mix)
    Chopped or dried parsley as desired
    Optional a pinch of mace.

Two sheets of supermarket puff pastry, each sheet cut in two for man sized portions.

Method

Heat oven to 200C. Mix together the filling ingredients.
    Lay out the four pieces of pastery.
    Firmly pack a quarter of the filling along the centre of each pastry, leaving a margin at each end.
    Brush the pastry all the way round the edge with beaten egg, carefully draw up both sides so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal.
    Lift onto a non-stick baking tray and brush with the remaining egg to glaze.
    Bake until pastry raises and stiffens, reglaze to improve the colour.
    Cook for 35 minutes (turn down temp if over browming)
    Cook until internal temp of 75C and golden brown on the out side.

Serve hot with a thin gravy / relish / tomato sauce or allow to cool and serve cold.

• Advertisement

Kept this for New Years Day Dinner.....
    ....half a suckling boar, left over from my escapades in France 2018

469297.jpg

Basicly cut it into hind leg, shoulder, ribs and chops.

469299.jpg

469300.jpg

Used a dry rub on the shoulder and ribs, then roasted for 30 minutes at 180C, added in cider, sealed tray with tinfoil and cooked until it fell off the bone. I pulled the meat and mixed it with B-B-Q sauce made on the cooking liqueur.

Rubbed garlic powder and salt into the leg and roasted it until it was just done, set aside for carving, made a sage gravy with the pan drippings.

Pan fried the seasoned cutlets and chops and finished them in butter.

Served the whole lot with apple sauce, pickled red cabbage slaw, dauphinose potatoes, (baked potatos for the healthy)...

469302.jpg

Advertisement