Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When reloading is sorted you can always load up with black pepper :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I can now personally vouch for mallards' curry. It's proper fare. Big thumbs up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

yer man mark gilchreest is the man! hows about a separate thread for skinning/plucking/prepping/field dressing/butchering etc?? i already tried to start one , i think it was titled "more than one way to skin a rabbit" ? could be educational and if we just stuck to putting up pics/vids without too many after comments, it might be a contender for a sticky? (mods)?

For those who wanted photos of that salad the last time, here you go:

?action=view&current=IMG000010.jpg

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

roasted the last duck this eve spilt him n had him in orange sauce peppers chillies noodles nice n cripsie egg fried rice ,only one leg of venison left think sunday is D day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

whats the nicest tasting venison out of our three(or four!) deer species in ireland? ive only tried fallow venison,and im very fond of it

whats the nicest tasting venison out of our three(or four!) deer species in ireland? ive only tried fallow venison,and im very fond of it
    sika calf shot off grass land muntjac are nice but there is not a lot on them .will try hard for a boar this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

i would absolutely love to see boar back on irish soil, what a mighty animal!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

This is what my good lady wife does with the ducks;

I fillet the breasts off the bone and pull the two legs offs minus the skin - couldn't be bothered plucking.

She coats them in seasoned flour and pan fries them quickly in oil to seal them. Then she take them out of the pan and slices them. In go the chopped veg for stir frying, then a big dollop of marmalade goes in before putting the sliced duck breasts back in to finish them. The marmalade reduces to make a beautiful sweet sauce with the juices from everything else:p

I've three mallard hanging in my fridge and I'm looking forward to dinner tomorrow. There will be five of us sitting down, myself, the wife and the three ducks, but only two of us getting up!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Take the ingredients below including a parsnip that I forgot to put in the picture.

IMG_0662.jpg

Also take a few bits of game from the freezer. No need to use that beautifully plucked duck, this stuff is diced so it doesn't need to look pretty (Use that hard shot snipe squashed up the back of the freezer!). I used a pheasant breast, two hind legs of a rabbit, some pretty hard shot partridge breasts, two snipe breasts to add colour, texture and a richer flavour and some hickory smoked bacon.

IMG_0663.jpg

Strip the meat of all the bones and dice it up. Cut the bacon very thinly as you want this to disappear but leave its flavour. Mix the meat with the finely chopped parsley and a little finely chopped onion and some similar sized chunks of parsnip. Add a pinch of oregano and crack some black pepper.

IMG_0666.jpg

Take a pint and a half of water and boil. Add the carcasses, onion, most of the parsnip, cracked pepper, some parsley and a good dollop of home made Jam and a small slug of red wine.

IMG_0665.jpg

Next the pastry, For my size of pie I used roughly half a 1kg bag of plain flour. Half a block of lard, a good dash of salt and 250ml of boiled water. Dissolve the lard in the water. Mix the salt and flour together. Pour on the fatty water and mix with a fork quickly.

IMG_0664.jpg

Grease a pie dish with butter and squash three quarters of the pastry into a pie base with your fingers. Make sure you plug any gaps and don't let it get too thick in the corners.

IMG_0667.jpg

Fill the pie with your game mix.

IMG_0668.jpg

Use the remaining quarter of the pastry for a lid. make sure you pinch the edges so that it makes an air tight seal. Then cut a two inch hole in the middle to let the steam out.

IMG_0669.jpg

Put in the oven for two and a half hours at 150 degrees C or gas mark 2 I think it is. While all this was going on your stock was simmering nicely in the back ground. Put this on low heat and let it cook on until the ingredients are quite mushu and gave up their flavours. Drain the stock amd boil it down again to strengthen the flavours.

IMG_0670.jpg

When the pie is two hours in take it out and brush with a beaten egg then put back in the oven. Do again fifteen minutes later. After the full two and a half hours are over. Take the pie out and rest it a few minutes. Loosen the meat from around the hole you made in the top. Take your stock and taste it. If it needs to be sweetened then add a little more Jam. When it is ready add a packet of gelatine. Read the label to see how much you need. When this is all stirred in start filling the hole with the liquid. The liguid will seep into the pie and fill the gaps in the meat. This could take five or so minutes as it becomes saturated with stock. Thats it, all you got to do is let it cool.

IMG_0671.jpg

I put the pie in the fridge first thing this morning and heated a big slice up for lunch with carrots and peas. Absolutely bang on! Try it, its not as hard as it sounds!

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I want THAT NOW.
    Looks very nice mallards and it's so good to see a recipe with photos, it's a good walk though for us numb skulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Have to say, if that tastes half as good as it looks, it must be gorgous.

It's been a while since that lovely curry, glad to see you have more for people like me to try our mitts at. :p I'll give that a crack at some point now whenever I can. looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Only one question Mallards.:confused:

Exactly where do you live ? :pac::rolleyes::) ;)

I will not tell a soul. :cool::cool:;)

Yeah, with all the tantalising photos, I can't help but feel mallards owes the shooting forum a bit of a banquet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

:D Well the game was shot in Tyrone and cooked in Dublin, that's all I can divulge!
    As for the banquet, the game pie was to use up the last of the frozen stuff. The freezer is empty and waiting to be filled again!

Mallards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

tried squirrell at the weekend. i got some kfc style mix off the butcher and coated the meat in it and did the squirrell in the oven. very tasty, very rabbity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

Lots of great ideas fro evryone so far..................But hey lets not forget the basics.

For those of u who(like me) enjoy a full day and night.........be it birds,rabbits even fish or whtever game your after. Instead of breaking from your shooting grounds and heading into town for refreshments or eating ham n cheese sambo's....................next time take a throw away bbq with you and whtever you shoot clean and cook with just a little salt n pepper...............you just cant get fresher and more enjoyable.

Oh and even though itsa "throw away" dont just dump it, make sure and take it away with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I eat seasonally. Today I had duck breasts in the oven, throw a load of hazelnuts in there with a small coating of honey... works with any meat or veg.

Tastes stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

lightening wrote: »
    I eat seasonally. Today I had duck breasts in the oven, throw a load of hazelnuts in there with a small coating of honey... works with any meat or veg.

Tastes stunning.

Sounds good

I am personally saving a few things to try and make that pie.

Who ate all the pies...........me

As the season is only a few days away here is a few more good vids on prep of game
    Game chef, Mark Hinge, talks you through the process of skinning a pheasant ready for the oven

How to breast a pigeon

One more for good luck this time a woodcock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Got this one from a pal.

Chop up lots of fresh rosemary, mix it on a tray with hand crushed modena salt, ground pepper and fennel seeds (fennel seeds very cheap in the Asian markets).

Roll your meat in this mixture on a tray making sure it sticks. Score with a knife if you want and stuff the mixture in to the slashes.Transfer to an oven tin that has been over the hob with olive oil and garlic. Seal the meat well like you would on a pan and then pop the tray with the meat in it into the oven with some quartered onions and some bay leaves.

You might want to baste half way through.

When the meat is cooked, remove it from the tray and put the tray back on to the hob, pour a good bit of white wine in, a glass and a half, stir it up, making sure to get the gooey stuff from the base try and squash the onions, garlic and celery. Reduce the wine for a while, Then pour in to a jug through a sieve. that's your gravy.

Brilliant with game. The crushed Fennel seeds are amazing.

For the last half hour, throw in some nuts, pine nuts, hazel nuts and wallnuts taste great.

I have tried it with lamb shanks and pork steak too. Lovely and seasonal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Here's a lovely way to do pheasant breasts.
    Get some chilis, parma ham and some blue cheese - and of couse some pheasant breasts off the bone.

Cook1.jpg

Slit open the breast and stuff it with some cheese and chopped chilis

Cook2.jpg

Wrap the breast in two slices of parma ham

Cook3.jpg

Pop the parcels in a roasting dish, drizzle some oil on, throw in any chilis left over, clove of garlic and season with pepper.

Cook4.jpg

Roast for 20 - 25 minutes at 180 - then enjoy........:P

Came across this website last night it covers all game meat

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I did a joint of venison recently (approx 1.6 kg).

To start, I rubbed olive oil into it & let it sit for an hour while I prepped some vegtables. Then I heated the oven to 250c.

While the oven was heating I heated a pan & seared the joint all over to seal it. Popped in the vegtables & couple of pieces of garlic and then placed it into the oven, dropping the heat to 200c.

I cooked it for 45mins on 200c turning it once.

It came out fab, however, I would maybe take it out after 40 mins next time. It was very slightly dry around the edge cuts.

I then used the juices for gravy stock & added some homemade garlic bread & combined with a nice room tempreture Shiraz served it up with the veggies.

Now, I still am failing miserably at embedding images so my apologies for having to click on the link. (yes, I tried to follow Rovi's instructions).

Trojan911 wrote: »

To start, I rubbed olive oil into it & let it sit for an hour while I prepped some vegtables. Then I heated the oven to 250c.

While the oven was heating I heated a pan & seared the joint all over to seal it. Popped in the vegtables & couple of pieces of garlic and then placed it into the oven, dropping the heat to 200c.

It came out fab, however, I would maybe take it out after 40 mins next time. It was very slightly dry around the edge cuts.

I then used the juices for gravy stock & added some homemade garlic bread & combined with a nice room tempreture Shiraz served it up with the veggies.

Now, I still am failing miserably at embedding images so my apologies for having to click on the link. (yes, I tried to follow Rovi's instructions).
    trojan when cooking a glass of red into the dish with a good sprinkle of olive oil then cover with 2 or 3 large oranges cut 10 mm thick over the leg then cover in tin foil this will stop it from drying out and add a little sweatness to the meat and gravy ,i would not cook it so hot and a little longer take the tin foil off for the last 20 minutes,give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Ok, think I have cracked this embedding thing.
    3162646439_883033b6b5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LOUTHSHOOTER

mallards wrote: »
    Take the ingredients below including a parsnip that I forgot to put in the picture.

IMG_0662.jpg

Also take a few bits of game from the freezer. No need to use that beautifully plucked duck, this stuff is diced so it doesn't need to look pretty (Use that hard shot snipe squashed up the back of the freezer!). I used a pheasant breast, two hind legs of a rabbit, some pretty hard shot partridge breasts, two snipe breasts to add colour, texture and a richer flavour and some hickory smoked bacon.

IMG_0663.jpg

Strip the meat of all the bones and dice it up. Cut the bacon very thinly as you want this to disappear but leave its flavour. Mix the meat with the finely chopped parsley and a little finely chopped onion and some similar sized chunks of parsnip. Add a pinch of oregano and crack some black pepper.

IMG_0666.jpg

Take a pint and a half of water and boil. Add the carcasses, onion, most of the parsnip, cracked pepper, some parsley and a good dollop of home made Jam and a small slug of red wine.

IMG_0665.jpg

Next the pastry, For my size of pie I used roughly half a 1kg bag of plain flour. Half a block of lard, a good dash of salt and 250ml of boiled water. Dissolve the lard in the water. Mix the salt and flour together. Pour on the fatty water and mix with a fork quickly.

IMG_0664.jpg

Grease a pie dish with butter and squash three quarters of the pastry into a pie base with your fingers. Make sure you plug any gaps and don't let it get too thick in the corners.

IMG_0667.jpg

Fill the pie with your game mix.

IMG_0668.jpg

Use the remaining quarter of the pastry for a lid. make sure you pinch the edges so that it makes an air tight seal. Then cut a two inch hole in the middle to let the steam out.

IMG_0669.jpg

Put in the oven for two and a half hours at 150 degrees C or gas mark 2 I think it is. While all this was going on your stock was simmering nicely in the back ground. Put this on low heat and let it cook on until the ingredients are quite mushu and gave up their flavours. Drain the stock amd boil it down again to strengthen the flavours.

IMG_0670.jpg

When the pie is two hours in take it out and brush with a beaten egg then put back in the oven. Do again fifteen minutes later. After the full two and a half hours are over. Take the pie out and rest it a few minutes. Loosen the meat from around the hole you made in the top. Take your stock and taste it. If it needs to be sweetened then add a little more Jam. When it is ready add a packet of gelatine. Read the label to see how much you need. When this is all stirred in start filling the hole with the liquid. The liguid will seep into the pie and fill the gaps in the meat. This could take five or so minutes as it becomes saturated with stock. Thats it, all you got to do is let it cool.

IMG_0671.jpg

I put the pie in the fridge first thing this morning and heated a big slice up for lunch with carrots and peas. Absolutely bang on! Try it, its not as hard as it sounds!

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Mallards.
    your some man for one man.Ithink im in love(with the pie):pac:

Advertisement