Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

flanum wrote: »
    by jaysus there hard to hit... finally got a coupla boxes of 9 1/2 ... have been attempting to hit them wiley feckers with 6's (opportunely, while on duck patrol) and seeing as i was flushing (and missing) so many snipe i went with the "salt grain"... yay.. got (nearly) every bird.... so.. best i can garner from youtube etc.. is treat it like woodcock.. ie pluck/draw/ and thread beak thru legs(maybe wrap a rasher round it??) .. grill or oven 20 mins approx?? what would ye serve yourself with it? i was just thinkin maybe a small plate of baby spuds (2 or 3) a couple of clorets of cauli, and a small scoop of ???? sauce??? i was half thinking of a fish sauce or pepper sauce??? all suggestions welcome!!
    Do you make it that spicy?

Though there are times when I thought I could have gone easy on chilli peppers...It is a bit like some kind of addiction...keep adding a bit more each time for an extra bit of zing but regret it in the morning...
    Is there a rabbit season? I was thinking of picking up some rabbits to make some rabbit stew...
    Ahhhhh...look at the doggie!
    no you can shoot them alll year round, but i wouldnt shoot them in summer as they have young. now is a great time for them
    So I thought I'll be off shooting but it turns out that my license is issued with 1 incorrect serial number digit so the license is not valid....Bah!:mad:

And WHAT has any of this to do with the
    GAME RECIPES AND TIPS section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just a heads up if any of you are keen cooks and enjoy cooking your game.
    The Good Food channel on Sky has a program called hunger for the wild, it is set in New Zealand and has a couple of chefs from a top restaurant kiling and cooking all kinds of wild foods Fish, Deer, Pig, Duck, Hare, Rabbit etc.
    I only found it in the last few weeks so have missed quite a few episodes.
    The programme on tonight had them shooting Hares and cooking them as burgers and fillets.

Heads up, tonights episode is dealing with Venison in Fiordland.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Shot a rabbit early this morning and put it on the bbq in the afternoon - it was in a spicy sauce for a while before the bbq - maybe the rabbit was too small or I just had it too long on the bbq :( bit too dry and strong flavored - not at all the same taste that I am used to :eek:

Any suggestions for the next one :cool:

Shot a rabbit early this morning and put it on the bbq in the afternoon - it was in a spicy sauce for a while before the bbq - maybe the rabbit was too small or I just had it too long on the bbq :( bit too dry and strong flavored - not at all the same taste that I am used to :eek:

Any suggestions for the next one :cool:
    Rabbit is far to dry to BBQ without a lot of fat on it.
    Try wrapping it in Rashers or putting belly pork pieces next to it.
    I find it dries out too fast on coals and really needs to be cooked in a sauce to get the most from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Rabbit is far to dry to BBQ without a lot of fat on it.
    Try wrapping it in Rashers or putting belly pork pieces next to it.
    I find it dries out too fast on coals and really needs to be cooked in a sauce to get the most from it.

There is an interesting piece in one of the english shooting magazines this month about preparing rabbit - how rabbit originally came to these islands with the romans. and is avery dry meat

Anyhow the chef recommends soaking the rabbit in salted water overnight - then slow cooking in cider over 2 hours (add onions and potatoes) then add cream towards the end.

I gave it a try and have to say it worked a treat, the meat just fell off the bone. very tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Rabbits need to be slow-cooked, so if you want to do them in the barbecue, turn it down low, raise it up a little, and do it in a tinfoil package with some olive oil, various chopped vegetables and herbs and maybe a few bacon lardons, should be quite tasty that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Rabbits need to be slow-cooked, so if you want to do them in the barbecue, turn it down low, raise it up a little, and do it in a tinfoil package with some olive oil, various chopped vegetables and herbs and maybe a few bacon lardons, should be quite tasty that way.

Cook them in a banana leaf in a mauri oven either!
    Or wrap them in a little streaky rashers and then in Alu foil.

I can supply rabbits!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Did some bunny kebabs last summer. A friend of mine baked the bread and made salad, I shot and cooked the rabbits. Was very tasty.

Did some bunny kebabs last summer. A friend of mine baked the bread and made salad, I shot and cooked the rabbits. Was very tasty.

yer makin me hungry now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Anyhow the chef recommends soaking the rabbit in salted water overnight - then slow cooking in cider over 2 hours (add onions and potatoes) then add cream towards the end.

I gave it a try and have to say it worked a treat, the meat just fell off the bone. very tender.

That is a recipie from Normandy - except you do not mention the calvados!
    There is another from Dijon, using wholegrain mustard and cream.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I think i remember Bunnyshooter on here talking about how he does them on the BBQ. He minces them also and makes burgers i think he said.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I think i remember Bunnyshooter on here talking about how he does them on the BBQ. He minces them also and makes burgers i think he said.

Cooks like chicken on a barbecue.
    In a month this seasons rabbits will be 3/4 size so they will be at their nicest!

Do you push the piss out of the ones you eat Tack. I do but is it neccessary if you prpare it straight away when you get home??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Do you push the piss out of the ones you eat Tack. I do but is it neccessary if you prpare it straight away when you get home??

If I was going to eat a bunny i'd panch him straight away as it's very easy done.
    in fact bring a ziplock bag and skin and all leave for the grey crow.

You should give me a shout one of the evenings and i'll show ya ;)

Yea sure i still have your bipod. I know how to do it but was wondering is it neccessary.
    Sore head this morning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Traumadoc wrote: »
    thats the way my granny thought me, except she use's red wine and makes some plum sauce with chopped pineapples emmmm lovely!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

do any of you eat the liver from deer, would love to know of the best ways to cook it. i like lambs liver, does it taste anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

do any of you eat the liver from deer, would love to know of the best ways to cook it. i like lambs liver, does it taste anything like it.
    hmm i wouldnt think so wouldnt the deer liver be infected with parasites?

why would that be. you would hardly eat the meat of the animal if the liver was infected with parasites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Just throw it on the pan! Mmmmmmm tasty!!

Generally if it is a young animal it will not have fluke in it, But one can not be sure without opening it.

I would not be a fan of it as I have seen liver fluke in the flesh before.

Nasty buggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭cbrjohnthou

Generally if it is a young animal it will not have fluke in it, But one can not be sure without opening it.

I would not be a fan of it as I have seen liver fluke in the flesh before.

Nasty buggers

Well thats turned me off ever eating deer liver EVER again:D:D, cheers Tack!

shank1 wrote: »
    Well thats turned me off ever eating deer liver EVER again:D:D, cheers Tack!

I saw it in lambs liver, obviously was not dosed

Sorry about that Shank if the liver looks healthy it should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭cbrjohnthou

I saw it in lambs liver, obviously was not dosed

Sorry about that Shank if the liver looks healthy it should be ok

Think I'll play it safe and steer clear of it, I saw a lad eating it raw once the dirty animal:).

think you just made my mind up too, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

What God made BBQ's for.

photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

hmm i wouldnt think so wouldnt the deer liver be infected with parasites?

The last three deer i have shot had liver fluke.
    My friend who taught me to stalk cut the fluke out, flashed fry'd the liver and ate it ( all three but not at once!).
    Not my cup of tea but with wild animals you have to expect them to have some natural diseases.
    Haven't spoke to him in a couple of weeks, must check to see if he's still alive!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just back from a trip to the Pyranees. There is a local delicacy there, fried pigsnout, it is like a tastier pork crackling. I beseech you to try it if you get there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

The last three deer i have shot had liver fluke.
    My friend who taught me to stalk cut the fluke out, flashed fry'd the liver and ate it ( all three but not at once!).
    Not my cup of tea but with wild animals you have to expect them to have some natural diseases.
    Haven't spoke to him in a couple of weeks, must check to see if he's still alive!:D
    50%-80% of cattle livers in the meat factory have fluke. Most cull ewe livers thrown out because of fluke.
    No problem with meat from a animal that has fluke (unless the animal has severe liver fluke leading to liver failure, rare you see this in factory).

Advertisement