Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

It might be a bit rich calling this a recipe, more of a thought really, just didnt want to hijack another thread. I know this might sound like a waste but had a few steaks out and one less for dinner so ended up with extra meat in the fridge. Took it out the next day for lunch and sliced it into little slivers about 2-3mm thick. Got the pan good and hot and flash fried it. Chucked it into a wrap/tortilla thing with some sliced red onion, shredded lettuce, mayo and chilli dressing.Bambi kebab! Im sure theres lads reading this thinking you f*****g lug but just didnt fancy steak for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sikastag wrote: »
    It might be a bit rich calling this a recipe, more of a thought really, just didnt want to hijack another thread. I know this might sound like a waste but had a few steaks out and one less for dinner so ended up with extra meat in the fridge. Took it out the next day for lunch and sliced it into little slivers about 2-3mm thick. Got the pan good and hot and flash fried it. Chucked it into a wrap/tortilla thing with some sliced red onion, shredded lettuce, mayo and chilli dressing.Bambi kebab! Im sure theres lads reading this thinking you f*****g lug but just didnt fancy steak for lunch.

Sounds lovely. I've done kebabs with rabbits before. I expect venison ones would be great. This is what it's about, using different sorts of meats in familiar dishes. Mallards' pheasant curry is well worth a crack too.

Sounds lovely. I've done kebabs with rabbits before. I expect venison ones would be great. This is what it's about, using different sorts of meats in familiar dishes. Mallards' pheasant curry is well worth a crack too.

Hit the spot for me anyway. Yeah, ive been eyeing up that curry for a while now. With a bit of luck and hopefully some good shooting I'll try and have a crack at it next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fetch There

Suggested Recipe for Wild Duck

1. Slice an orange place it on the bottom of a roasting bag and place a wedge o f an apple or orange in the cavity.
    2. Mix a teaspoon of oil and honey and massage into the breast.
    3. Place the duck pheasant or partridge in the roasting bag on top of the sliced oranges.
    4. Pierce the top of the roasting bag.
    5. Put into a hot oven and leave for 20 minutes to ½ an hour until brown.
    6. Then turn the oven off or low heat until the game is cooked.
    7. You can make gravy from the juice in the bottom of the roasting bag.
    It is delicious.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Hi folks shot two bunny's tonight. I have them hanging in the shed what im wondering is after looking at Mark Gilchrist he recommends cutting them and skinning them the night they are shot. I haven't done this eek. Will they be ok to skin and cut tomorrow or will they be gone to long. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

I think at least you should make it wee

It'll be stinking if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I think at least you should make it wee

It'll be stinking if you don't

Did this in the field;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

elius wrote: »
    Hi folks shot two bunny's tonight. I have them hanging in the shed what im wondering is after looking at Mark Gilchrist he recommends cutting them and skinning them the night they are shot. I haven't done this eek. Will they be ok to skin and cut tomorrow or will they be gone to long. Cheers
    Do them firt thing in the morning and they'll be allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

let us know how you get on with the cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• 1 small Leg venison boned about (700g-1000g meat)and trimmed of most fat and connective tissue.
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon onion salt
    • 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder (Lidls works for me)
    • 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 50-60mls Worcestershire sauce
    • 50-60 mls Dark Soya sauce
    • 80 mls Poteen
    • 50 mls Ainsley Harriots liquid BBQ smoke flavour
    Semi-freeze meat until it can be sliced thinly across the grain.
    I use the Lidls slicing machine that I bought a few years back or a big chefs knife with a wide blade.
    The slices would want to be about 5-6mm thick and as uniform as possible.
    Make the marinade up while the meat is freezing.
    When the meat is sliced mix with the marinade thoroughly, I use a plastic bag and add a little at a time and work it around well.
    If you chuck the whole lot in and massage it some won't get marinade on it and then it won't cure properly.

Marinade in Fridge 24hrs.

Remove from fridge and Blot on kitchen towel then either toothpick each slice and hang on oven rack or lay on a heatproof metal grid. Baking coolers work well but don't let the owner of the cooler notice!
    If you hang them makes sure the rack below is covered and doesn't get dripped on from the rack above.
    You can also use baking trays covered with baking parchment, make sure the edges are turned up so they don't drip everywhere.
    I use my fan oven set to as low as it goes 50ºC and leave it for 8hrs.
    I usually then check the pieces and put any that are still a little wet on the outside of the trays and leave in again.
    I store mine in plastic tubs with a big sachet of drying agent in with them to stop them going mouldy.

Jerky making is not an exact science and you can add whatever spices you prefer, more or less chilli perhaps some dry roasted ground coriander seed The salt should not be reduced though as it acts as a preservative.
    If you are on a low sodium diet maybe jerky is not the best thing to be eating, I haven't tried making this with salt substitutes like Potassium chloride but I doubt it would be as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

for somebody on a low salt diet, you could try biltong.
    Biltong is sinilar to jerky, i prefere it.
    You can leave out the salt, anything with high sodium (use low sodium soy etc) and sub in vinegar.

The process is pretty much the same. Traditionall, a dryign box is used, but oven is quicker and generally easier to handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Mellor wrote: »
    for somebody on a low salt diet, you could try biltong.
    Biltong is sinilar to jerky, i prefere it.
    You can leave out the salt, anything with high sodium (use low sodium soy etc) and sub in vinegar.

The process is pretty much the same. Traditionall, a dryign box is used, but oven is quicker and generally easier to handle.

A good few of my South African mates make it.
    I'd like some of it myself to try out.

I may ask my mate again, I think he dried his out in the hotpress**
    However, I would reckon the oven would be better.

The more difficult it is to make, the less likely one would be to attempt it.
    It would be class to be able to bring some Biltong when stalking, UI find it great for energy, and keeps you warm, from chewing alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Take all the ingredients as shown.

P1020464.jpg

Dice up the carrots, celery, four slices of bacon, onion, two garlic cloves and cut the rabbit into joints, seasoning them with salt and pepper (Mine has three legs due to being shot hard).

P1020465.jpg

Fry of the bacon in some olive oil until browned.

P1020466.jpg

Add the rabbit joints and brown turning all the time.

P1020468.jpg

Add the carrots, onion and celery and lightly brown.

P1020469.jpg

Pour everything into a bigger pot and add two tins of chopped tomatoes, half a glass of white wine, the garlic, two bay leaves and a couple of sprigs of thyme. Top up with chicken or game stock to cover everything.

P1020470.jpg

Cook for an hour and a half on a low heat to let it just simmer.

P1020471.jpg

Separate the meat from the bones.
    I'm having mine in work for lunch tomorrow, so I added a little penne pasta and some olive oil. I bet it beats the socks of anything I can buy there!
    Enjoy.

P1020472.jpg

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ah jaysus, that looks good! Must find someone to shoot some rabbits for me now.

Thats it. Im starving now! :pac: Seriously though, looks great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

"I bet it beats the socks of anything I can buy there!"

No doubt in my mind about that. :D

Thanks Mallards, will give it a whirl.

The Sermon
    (And I know I am preaching to the choir on this) ;) So for the uninitiated :rolleyes:

Wild duck is best eaten rare.

The juices run red, not clear, think big juicy rare steak.

The meat itself is a deep garnet red.

The taste is closer to steak than to chicken.

It is easy to overcook the meat, like overcooking a pork tenderloin. Except when you overcook duck, the meat tastes game-y, like liver.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Double Darrels Five Star Wild Duck

1. With game shears, cut the backbone from a plucked duck.
    2. “Butterfly” the bird by spreading the body cavity and pressing it firmly breaking the breastbone.
    3. Sprinkle both sides liberally with salt (preferably sea/coarse salt).
    4. Slap the duck on a hot grill -did I say hot grill for - for— now get this!—** just ten minutes on one side, then five on the other.

A 15-minute duck? I couldn’t believe it either the first time I cooked a bird this way. Then I took a bite from a breast slice: smoky and salty on the outside, pink and slightly bloody on the inside. You have never tasted duck so good.

With duck—also with goose and venison—the rarer the meat, the sweeter the meat.The same is true with game animals that have rich, red meat. The key is to not overcook the blood, which then turns bitter and gives the meat that ‘gamey’ taste.”

I will be the first to admit legs and thighs aren’t the easiest parts to prepare. Unlike breast meat, they don’t taste good cooked fast and hot. One easy solution is to slow-cook -braise-these portions in a little liquid. Cut up goose or duck thighs and legs and placing the pieces in a covered pot placed on the stove or in the oven. Add enough orange juice to soak but not cover the meat, a bit of chopped onion, celery, carrot, and a few herbs such as thyme & rosemary.

Cook at simmer that for seven or eight hours over low heat—after first bringing it to a boil—and you’ll end up with melt in your mouth tender meat in a sweet, citrusy sauce.

Hungarian Rabbit
    Requires 48 hours in marinade (and about 2¼ hours cooking time)

1 good-sized rabbit cut in frying pieces

Marinade Ingredients:
    ½ cup apple vinegar
    1 12 oz bottle of Harp lager
    1 medium onion thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon pickling spices (1/4 tsp. peppercorns, 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds, 3 bay leaves, 4-8 cloves)Tie spices and bay leaves in cheesecloth.
    2 teaspoons salt
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons sugar

Mix all ingredients together and place in a container for marinating in refrigerator. Turn the rabbit pieces at least 2-3 times each day during the 48 hours.

Remove rabbit from marinade (save marinade) and drain, then roll in flour or shake in plastic bag with flour to coat each piece well.

Remove all the onion pieces from the marinade and save to add later. Strain out and throw away the spices.

Use very large skillet, preferably non-stick to prepare the rest:
    ½-¾ cups thinly sliced mushrooms sautéed in butter

Remove from skillet to add later to cooking rabbit
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced bits of bacon browned for fat

Remove bacon bits from skillet to add back later

Add butter to make 1/8 cup of fat for browning rabbit. When well browned all over, add all the strained marinade liquid and simmer for 1 hour covered. Turn the rabbit pieces and scrape the bottom of the pan occasionally, then add the sliced onion, sautéed mushrooms and bacon, plus the following and simmer another hour.
    2 good-sized carrots, thinly sliced
    1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves, crushed
    1/8 teaspoon garlic minced very fine or crushed and minced
    4 small Bay leaves
    dash of pepper

Rabbit should be very tender. If sauce seems thick enough (about like a cream gravy) just add ½ cup red wine ( Zinfandel) and 1 cup thick cream and cook about 15 minutes little longer stirring between rabbit pieces to mix well. If sauce seems thin, cook equal parts melted butter and flour (probably no more than 1 or 2 tablespoons each would be needed) in small saucepan until bubbly and add the wine and cream to this mixture before adding to the rabbit. (So far the wife have never had to thicken the sauce)

Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Cheers DB I will have to get more rabbits to try this one out. Luckily I have the rest of the ingredients, and as a nordie, am good for Harp lager! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Basic Pheasant leg soup.

This is just a very simple recipe I use. I breast and joint the legs/thighs off my pheasants so I was looking at something simple to do with the legs.

Ingredients -
    2 pheasant leg joints
    Half a head of celery (can't have too much celery)
    2 medium potatoes
    3 medium carrots
    1 large onion
    Salt, pepper, Basil & Thyme.
    Chicken stock 800ml. (you can use a chicken soup either)

I use a 3 litre pot for this. Put enough chopped celery to fill about an inch at the bottom of the pot. Add the two legs and season. Add the rest of the chopped veg. Add the stock.
    Bring to the boil then simmer for 50-60 minutes.
    Remove the legs and separate the meat from the bones and sinews.
    Return the meat to the pot then blend the whole lot up with one of those hand blenders.

Done. Takes 10 minutes to chop the veg. Simple and easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gretchy

Hello
    Looking for the optimal recipe for cooking rabbit.
    Stew/roast or what best??

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Rabbit Stew with Cider

The sweetness in the cider and honey is fantastic with the rabbit.
    This dish is great served with rice or pandy.

Serves 4
    2 tbsp olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    300g (10oz) streaky bacon,
    2 tbsp honey
    chopped
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    1 wild rabbit, skinned and
    1 bay leaf
    jointed
    400ml (14 fl oz) cider
    12 baby carrots
    salt and freshly ground
    8shallots, peeled and whole
    black pepper

Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil. Add the bacon and saute until golden
    and crisp. Remove the bacon to a casserole dish.
    Add the rabbit joints to the frying pan, saute until golden and then place in the casserole dish.
    Lastly, add the carrots, shallots, garlic and honey to the pan and cook until caramelised. transfer to the casserole dish, season with salt and pepper and pop in the thyme and bay leaf. Cover with cider.
    Cook in a preheated oven at 120 C, 250 F, Gas Mark 1/2 for 2 hours. Serve with pandy (Mashed spuds).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Anyone got a recipe for snipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Breast him fry him gently eat with salt and white bread. Simple but very tasty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

any nice recipes for a fresh duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

had some venison today for the first time in years, wasnt too pushed on it. abit too much of a dead meat taste off it:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    im gonna bag the next rabbit we shoot and try him :)
    or would they be nice this time of year? any tips on cooking it would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

garv123 wrote: »
    had some venison today for the first time in years, wasnt too pushed on it. abit too much of a dead meat taste off it:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    im gonna bag the next rabbit we shoot and try him :)
    or would they be nice this time of year? any tips on cooking it would be good

It is like Guinness I think, you have to acquire a taste for it

It is like Guinness I think, you have to acquire a taste for it

i dunno was it because i over cooked it or not but i taught it tasted very raw like. ive a thing for not liking to eat meat when its pink. maybe i cooked it way too long. it was way took thick a slice in the pan so i sliced it in two too cook all the way threw in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Sound to me like you got a lump of meat.
    Poor butchering can make a huge difference to the taste of meat plus do you know what animal it came off as in a stag or a nice young doe.
    When most people are giving away meat they tend not to give the top grade stuff.
    I could be wrong but that might be the problem

• Advertisement

natdog wrote: »
    Sound to me like you got a lump of meat.
    Poor butchering can make a huge difference to the taste of meat plus do you know what animal it came off as in a stag or a nice young doe.
    When most people are giving away meat they tend not to give the top grade stuff.
    I could be wrong but that might be the problem

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/318604/141358.jpg
    came off this young stag.
    around his ar$e somewhere?
    ah it was thick like a fillet steak from a butchers which a also cut so they cook threw :D
    id say it could have just been me fussy and making sue it was cooked well.
    might have been better if i left it pinky?

Advertisement