Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

jesus youd find it hard to make a mess of that lad you could nearly eat him raw:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

natdog wrote: »
    jesus youd find it hard to make a mess of that lad you could nearly eat him raw:D

ah he loved the bits he cooked so it mustn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

garv123 wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/318604/141358.jpg
    came off this young stag.
    around his ar$e somewhere?
    ah it was thick like a fillet steak from a butchers which a also cut so they cook threw :D
    id say it could have just been me fussy and making sue it was cooked well.
    might have been better if i left it pinky?

From the look of him, if handled any way decent, rump cuts from this should melt in your mouth.

Everyone to their own taste but worth remembering that venison is so much redder than farm grown beef thay in order to have no pink you have to cremate it. Even well done will still be a little pink.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    From the look of him, if handled any way decent, rump cuts from this should melt in your mouth.

Everyone to their own taste but worth remembering that venison is so much redder than farm grown beef thay in order to have no pink you have to cremate it. Even well done will still be a little pink.
    im putting it down to my terrible cooking skills:pac: it was definitely way overcooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

garv123 wrote: »
    im putting it down to my terrible cooking skills:pac: it was definitely way overcooked
    Touch your thumb to your forefinger. Now feel the big muscle in your palm at the bottom of your thumb with the forefinger of your other hand; that muscle will feel how meat cooked rare should feel. Touch your thumb to your middle finger to see what medium rare feels like; ring finger for medium; and little finger for medium well. Touch the countertop to see what well done feels like :D

Just get your frying pan rocket-hot with nothing (not even oil) in it (and this works a lot better with a cast iron frying pan - and you shouldn't really do it with a teflon pan); put oil on the meat not the pan, put the meat into the pan, turn it once after 60 seconds; and now start poking the meat while it's in the pan and see how it feels. Check it first about 30 seconds after the turn; then check it every 10-15 seconds. When it feels right, take it out of the pan and put it into a fold of tinfoil and leave it sit for twice as long as it was in the pan and then another two minutes on top of that (if you don't do this, when you cut into the meat, all the juices run out onto the plate instead of staying in the meat).

That's pretty much all there is to cooking steaks in a pan regardless of what animal they're cut from (well, except for tuna steaks) so long as they're less than an inch and a half thick. If they're any thicker than that, you do it by time (90 seconds each side then put the entire pan in a 250C oven for two or three minutes and then take it out and rest it in the tin-foil, but to be honest, a steak that thick isn't as much fun as it sounds).

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Touch your thumb to your forefinger. Now feel the big muscle in your palm at the bottom of your thumb with the forefinger of your other hand; that muscle will feel how meat cooked rare should feel. Touch your thumb to your middle finger to see what medium rare feels like; ring finger for medium; and little finger for medium well. Touch the countertop to see what well done feels like :D

Just get your frying pan rocket-hot with nothing (not even oil) in it (and this works a lot better with a cast iron frying pan - and you shouldn't really do it with a teflon pan); put oil on the meat not the pan, put the meat into the pan, turn it once after 60 seconds; and now start poking the meat while it's in the pan and see how it feels. Check it first about 30 seconds after the turn; then check it every 10-15 seconds. When it feels right, take it out of the pan and put it into a fold of tinfoil and leave it sit for twice as long as it was in the pan and then another two minutes on top of that (if you don't do this, when you cut into the meat, all the juices run out onto the plate instead of staying in the meat).

That's pretty much all there is to cooking steaks in a pan regardless of what animal they're cut from (well, except for tuna steaks) so long as they're less than an inch and a half thick. If they're any thicker than that, you do it by time (90 seconds each side then put the entire pan in a 250C oven for two or three minutes and then take it out and rest it in the tin-foil, but to be honest, a steak that thick isn't as much fun as it sounds).

you have me sitting here feeling my hands getting weird looks of people:eek:

i must do that with my next bit of steak.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Last couple of pheasants I shot were old tough cocks. Cooked them in a slow cooker for a few hours, tasty and tender, even the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

had a barbie yesterday venison kebabs. lovely .peppers,onions,chiles,marinate the night before,wrap in foil and cook for the first 20mins then put on the flame on cook to your liking

football004.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭dermot218

my bro in law is south african he showed me howto make jerky get a new black dust bin and drill small air holes on all sides put a strong light bulbthru the lid hang the strips of meat inside until cured hope this is of help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dermot218 wrote: »
    my bro in law is south african he showed me howto make jerky get a new black dust bin and drill small air holes on all sides put a strong light bulbthru the lid hang the strips of meat inside until cured hope this is of help

Must try that.
    He'd call it Biltong though AFAIK

http://www.biltong.ie/

Handy link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

had a barbie yesterday venison kebabs. lovely .peppers,onions,chiles,marinate the night before,wrap in foil and cook for the first 20mins then put on the flame on cook to your liking

football004.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    What marinate did you use, looks great were they nice?

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    What marinate did you use, looks great were they nice?

I used a half bottle of Cab Sav with some basil and herbs on the last joint I marinaded.

Was quite tasty.

I might try the last of my Venison steaks out on the Barbie tomorrow if the weather holds up

• Registered Users Posts: 38 samthe man

This is all very intresting as I love food ( I eat nothing else). Last week one of my lecturers in collage discovered I was into shooting and wondered could I get few rabbits for her sometime (could be handy around exam time):rolleyes:. I imginne to get it to dublin from home it would have to be frozen, would this harm the flavour? And would I have to salt water cure it before I freeze it or is that the cooks job?

samthe man wrote: »
    This is all very intresting as I love food ( I eat nothing else). Last week one of my lecturers in collage discovered I was into shooting and wondered could I get few rabbits for her sometime (could be handy around exam time):rolleyes:. I imginne to get it to dublin from home it would have to be frozen, would this harm the flavour? And would I have to salt water cure it before I freeze it or is that the cooks job?

Shoot bunny leave in fridge overnight in Zip lock bag, next day put in coolbag and give it to her fresh.

Only giver her a 3/4 sized rabbit as they are the nicest.
    I roast bunnies whole so I do not use salt water healthier heart ;)

'Shoot bunny leave in fridge overnight in Zip lock bag, next day put in coolbag and give it to her fresh''
    Thanks Tack, just the bunny would be shot on say a saturday evening lastest and it would be nine on a monday moring before she gets it and then she has to go home and cook it. Would that be to long just to have it in the fridge? I may get the boom stick out and do a few experiments as the neighbour has a notion of eating rabbit to:) happy days.See if theres any diffrence between fresh and frozen.
    As for the salt, down here in the deep south we like to have all our foods in a 'dacent batter';)

'Shoot bunny leave in fridge overnight in Zip lock bag, next day put in coolbag and give it to her fresh''
    Thanks Tack, just the bunny would be shot on say a saturday evening lastest and it would be nine on a monday moring before she gets it and then she has to go home and cook it. Would that be to long just to have it in the fridge? I may get the boom stick out and do a few experiments as the neighbour has a notion of eating rabbit to:) happy days.See if theres any diffrence between fresh and frozen.
    As for the salt, down here in the deep south we like to have all our foods in a 'dacent batter';)

if in the fridge it would be better on Monday than Sunday.
    Tell her Barbecue it either!
    grilled-hare.jpg

Venison barbecue my house this Sunday, 2 deer in the fridge ;)

Venison barbecue my house this Sunday, 2 deer in the fridge ;)[/QUOTE]
    Good man Tack, is every1 on this thread invited:D

Venison barbecue my house this Sunday, 2 deer in the fridge ;)
    Good man Tack, is every1 on this thread invited:D[/QUOTE]

It's BYOB :D
    And a cylinder of gas :D

And hopefully some nice weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Made quare use of the bbq lately. Take your meat, in this case pork ribs and a rabbit. Rub this on it. Leave it in a Zip lock bag overnight in the fridge. Then wrap individual racks of ribs or whole rabbit in cling film then wrap that again in tin foil to create a water tight seal. Roast in the oven at 150 degrees C or equivalent for 3 1/2 hrs. Time it that the when they come out the bbq is just coming ready. Open them up but allow the meat 15 mins to soak up the juices again. Then onto the bbq and start brushing this on, the sticky hickory one. Mmmmmmmmmm! wash down with cold beer. :pac:

P1030373.jpg

Mallards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

mallards wrote: »
    Made quare use of the bbq lately. Take your meat, in this case pork ribs and a rabbit. Rub this on it. Leave it in a Zip lock bag overnight in the fridge. Then wrap individual racks of ribs or whole rabbit in cling film then wrap that again in tin foil to create a water tight seal. Roast in the oven at 150 degrees C or equivalent for 3 1/2 hrs. Time it that the when they come out the bbq is just coming ready. Open them up but allow the meat 15 mins to soak up the juices again. Then onto the bbq and start brushing this on, the sticky hickory one. Mmmmmmmmmm! wash down with cold beer. :pac:

P1030373.jpg

Mallards

Jay'us could nearly smell it through my lap top:D lovely slurrp

• Advertisement

that sticky hickory marinate is gorgeous with any kind of meat even when you just cut up the meet and stick it in a bowl of marinate in the fridge for a few hours.

no bbq should be had without it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Stuffed Deers Heart
    A delicious part of the animal which never should go to waste.
    I blended 3 slices of bread, scallions, garlic, sea salt and black pepper corns.
    Hollowed out the hearts and stuffed then. Used a wooden BBQ stick to seal the hearts.
    Placed on the top shelf of the BBQ which was at it's lowest setting for approx 30 min, turned once.
    Lovely with a spud and a bottle of Stella:)

83427905.jpg

99160c75.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

I got my paws on some venison chops and I am wondering whats the best way to cook them. I am no Hugh Fernley Wittingstall (Hugh Flippin Eats-it-all I call him:D) So it will have to be simple!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

it depends how you like them. Got some nice venison of Tack, put them on the pan with garlic and pepper for 2 mins each side:)nice medium rare meat was delicious:D had some lovely jerky made but a family member decided to eat it all:mad: #### ###### ###### ##### ##### family member!!!!!

Spunk84 wrote: »
    it depends how you like them. Got some nice venison of Tack, put them on the pan with garlic and pepper for 2 mins each side:)nice medium rare meat was delicious:D had some lovely jerky made but a family member decided to eat it all:mad: #### ###### ###### ##### ##### family member!!!!!

I know!

I was really looking forward to having some Venison Jerky.
    I have some in my freezer now, might try it on one of my days off.

I'd love to be able to bring some with me out stalking.
    As I always give up stalking and head for the Chipper, no wonder I'm a fat cnut :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

I know!

I was really looking forward to having some Venison Jerky.
    I have some in my freezer now, might try it on one of my days off.

I'd love to be able to bring some with me out stalking.
    As I always give up stalking and head for the Chipper, no wonder I'm a fat cnut :o
    Ha Ha, we do be at the same crack, have a scout round for foxes just before dark then out comes " sure we maze well grab a bag of chips while were waiting for it to get dark" then when you go home she thinks you must be starvin cos you havnt had any dinner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I got my paws on some venison chops and I am wondering whats the best way to cook them. I am no Hugh Fernley Wittingstall (Hugh Flippin Eats-it-all I call him:D) So it will have to be simple!!

On a hot pan with a little oil and 2 minutes max each side, no longer as you'll ruin them and they're then taste like just any other meat. They need to still be pink inside, the only way to eat venison off the pan.

A few nice Fallow chops.......

Venisionchopsonthepan1.jpg

Venisionchopsonthepan2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

OMG THE MISSIUS has me on a diet and sitting here looking at clives chops life is to short to not be allowed eat somthin that looks that good
    stog

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monte

OMG THE MISSIUS has me on a diet and sitting here looking at clives chops life is to short to not be allowed eat somthin that looks that good
    i think its time to get shot of the missius and get some chops;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

monte wrote: »
    i think its time to get shot of the missius and get some chops;)

i think you could be spot on mate:rolleyes:
    stog

Advertisement