Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Diet my arse there's no/very little fat in venison, you can put them on a grill as well.
    Notice the two different chops, the top ones are from where the rib cage is whereas the others are from below the rib cage to where the pelvis starts.

The meat is all stake both the fillet and back straps and tastes 10x better than any beef. Just looking at them I can smell them cooking - um um :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

clivej wrote: »
    On a hot pan with a little oil and 2 minutes max each side, no longer as you'll ruin them and they're then taste like just any other meat. They need to still be pink inside, the only way to eat venison off the pan.

A few nice Fallow chops.......

Venisionchopsonthepan1.jpg

Venisionchopsonthepan2.jpg
    not long now mate...havnt had a good deer steak for a while:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

dwighet wrote: »
    not long now mate...havnt had a good deer steak for a while:cool:

Come on over to my place I'm trying to eat my way through the last of last seasons venison. Plenty of burgers and steak still here in the frezzer. :D:D:D

clivej wrote: »
    Come on over to my place I'm trying to eat my way through the last of last seasons venison. Plenty of burgers and steak still here in the frezzer. :D:D:D

would love to mate but am on a strict diet...gotta lose 18 pound before the season starts.....

Too many jam donuts over the off season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dwighet wrote: »
    would love to mate but am on a strict diet...gotta lose 18 pound before the season starts.....

Too many jam donuts over the off season..

18lb Stroof
    I thought all yee Aussies were Metric?

I was out after a fox this evening and 8 fallow ran across teh field in front of me :D

I've lots of prime cuts in my Freezer, I stuck i8n for another section there last week that should keep me going until sept, never seen deer numbers as good which is amazing after such hard winters back to back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Hi Everyone,
    Hope you don't mind me posting here but am looking for a few ideas for tomorrows dinner :D
    We are having friends round and i need to do something nice with the following:
    1 smallish shoulder of Venison
    2 Rabbits
    and possibly a pheasant

Any ideas? Was going to make a kind of game stew or casserole type dish but would like it to be REALLY nice!

Any tips or recipes would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Turn the stew that your going to make into a game pie just go and buy some ready made puff pastry.

BadGirl wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Hope you don't mind me posting here but am looking for a few ideas for tomorrows dinner :D
    2 Rabbits
    and possibly a pheasant

Any ideas? Was going to make a kind of game stew or casserole type dish but would like it to be REALLY nice!

Barbecued Venison and bunnies in hickory marinade (which can be purchased in all good shops.)

Pheasant is out of season more a winter dish, but can be very dry. marinade in red wine and cherries overnight, roast 150 deg in oven in marinade drizzling marinade over periodically whilst cooking.

When I barbecue I marinade only drier meat like rabbit, Venison I find is nice on it's own if cooked properly. cut the shoulder 1.5" thick max if you are barbecuing as any thicker leaves it difficult to cook through without charring the outside too much.
    169763.jpg
    Here's one I made earlier :D

Hi Everyone,
    2 Rabbits
    and possibly a pheasant

Barbecued Venison and bunnies in hickory marinade (which can be purchased in all good shops.)

Pheasant is out of season more a winter dish, but can be very dry. marinade in red wine and cherries overnight, roast 150 deg in oven in marinade drizzling marinade over periodically whilst cooking.

When I barbecue I marinade only drier meat like rabbit, Venison I find is nice on it's own if cooked properly. cut the shoulder 1.5" thick max if you are barbecuing as any thicker leaves it difficult to cook through without charring the outside too much.
    169763.jpg
    Here's one I made earlier :D

Thanks for that tackleberrywho, don't think I'm going to get the weather to bbq tomorrow though unfortunately..... Def bookmarking this page for when we get better weather.....

Might try the pie idea.... What veg/herbs/spices would complement these meats in s pie?

Thanks again :D

Thanks for that tackleberrywho, don't think I'm going to get the weather to bbq tomorrow though unfortunately..... Def bookmarking this page for when we get better weather.....

Might try the pie idea.... What veg/herbs/spices would complement these meats in s pie?

Thanks again :D

I'm not a fan of pies as pastry can burn and meat not be cooked properly.
    (but if you are good at pastry go ahead)

Cherries go well (if you like them)
    carrot and onion if you want to go more trad on it.
    I am adventerous and add bits and pieces of everything into some of my dishes for the experimentation

• Advertisement

The best thing to do is to just make your stew as you would normaly. You could add some rosemary & thyme to it. Make the broth that little bit thicker. Then line your dish with pastry add your mix put on your lid egg wash bung in the oven and keep an eye on it.

Hi Everyone,
    2 Rabbits
    and possibly a pheasant

Well did you do the pie in the end how did it work out?

Hi Lee70
    Yes, had the pie, it was gorgeous! :D went down a right treat with my guests! Made a thick stew with the rabbits, venison and the pheasant breasts with carrots, onions, garlic and mixed herbs etc and put it in a big dish with pastry in the oven. very tasty and got great reviews and even had enough for Monday's dinner! Bonus! :D

Thanks for the suggestions
    :)

P.S i THINK i have a pic on other laptop, if i have, i will post it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Guys any good, tried and tested venison stew suggestions..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mauser 308 wrote: »

Ask me at the end of the season. :D One of my projects is to make a really good spicy tomatoey stew for long days stalking.

Ask me at the end of the season. :D One of my projects is to make a really good spicy tomatoey stew for long days stalking.
    IWM That's exactly what I am after.
    Any one else have one that they have done?

When i cook venison stew, i basically just make it like a normal beef stew, lots of veggies, diced venison, and a stock cube and whatever herbs i have in the cupboard in the slowcooker and leave it for about 12 hours.... (oh and a couple handfuls of barley.....)

i don't have a recipe i follow as such, but would love one for a nice spicy tomatoey one (more of a goulash than a stew maybe??)

Maybe try google for a goulash recipe and sub venison for beef???

(Sorry i can't be more help....)

BG x

pic of my game pie form a few posts above for Lee70 :D

Pheasant, venison and Rabbit ..... (should have taken a pic before i cut it, it was much prettier, oh well.....)

174961_10150750073950650_786265649_20385351_151959_o.jpg

Pheasant, venison and Rabbit ..... (should have taken a pic before i cut it, it was much prettier, oh well.....)

Its not all about looks u know....
    But it looks like it tasted nice......
    BadGirl, I see from other posts you are into ur cooking and like to work with Venison sometimes. You should post ur general area and some of the deer hunting guys who are in that general area would I am sure give you access some venison. I am based in Westmeath and if ur down this way ur welcome to some venison. Though its in the freezer as have drawn a blank so far this season. But plan to put that right either tomorrow or Monday as have monday off:)

Thanks so much for the offer Mauser, but luckily my hubby and his friend keep me well stocked with venison (and rabbit, pheasant, pigeon and fish!)

I find mincing some of the venison is great, we love bambi burgers here or venison makes a lovely rich chilli (even cubed venison would be nice in a chilli).

I generally use it in place of beef a lot.... i have a 6.5L slowcooker too and often put a shoulder or leg joint in there on a saturday afternoon with about half a cup of water and leave it til sunday afternoon... meat just falls off the bone then and is sooooooo nice :)

Sometimes Argos have the slowcookers on special offer, i find it a great buy, they can be left on all day when you are in work, they use about as much energy as a lightbulb (hubby is electrician and has told me it's ok to have ours on unattended) makes even the stringiest cuts of meat tender, especially in a stew or a goulash or chilli or similar....

Thanks again x

BG x

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the offer Mauser, but luckily my hubby and his friend keep me well stocked with venison (and rabbit, pheasant, pigeon and fish!)

I find mincing some of the venison is great, we love bambi burgers here or venison makes a lovely rich chilli (even cubed venison would be nice in a chilli).

I generally use it in place of beef a lot.... i have a 6.5L slowcooker too and often put a shoulder or leg joint in there on a saturday afternoon with about half a cup of water and leave it til sunday afternoon... meat just falls off the bone then and is sooooooo nice :)

Sometimes Argos have the slowcookers on special offer, i find it a great buy, they can be left on all day when you are in work, they use about as much energy as a lightbulb (hubby is electrician and has told me it's ok to have ours on unattended) makes even the stringiest cuts of meat tender, especially in a stew or a goulash or chilli or similar....

Thanks again x

BG x
    Ur most welcome, and thank you for the slow cooker info.
    Would you post your chilli and burger recepies as would like to try.
    thanks a mill:)

Ur most welcome, and thank you for the slow cooker info.
    Would you post your chilli and burger recepies as would like to try.
    thanks a mill:)

LOL, not recipes as such but i'll give it a go....

Bambi burgers...

I find the venison mince is a lot 'wetter' than beef mince (as there's so little fat i suppose) so i usually use about 1lb of venison mince and enough breadcrumbs to bulk it out a bit and make it easier to shape if you know what i mean... (so sorry, am not a quantities type......) i would then add a finely diced (small) onion and a good shake of mixed herba and salt and pepper. if you find they are not binding together well, add an egg to the mix (my kids are allergic to egg though so i usually use a drop of olive oil if required)

I cook them on a goerge foreman grill but you could just brown each side in a pan and then place in the oven for 15-20 mins to make sure they are cooked through.

A nice variation is to enclose a cube of nice cheese in the middle of the burger meat when shaping them into patties and when they are cooked then the cheese is melted in the middle... yuuuum!

Chilli is much the same, meat, whatever veg is in the fridge chopped finely, a tin of red kidney beans and you can go either a couple tins of chopped tomoatoes, chilli powder and tomato puree or a quickie alternative is to pick up a jar of a chilli sauce in tesco or somewhere to put over it. I would usually put this in a slowcooker in the morning for that evenings dinner.... comes out lovely..

Sorry i can't be more specific with quantities... i'm just a throw everything into it type.....

I don't like the real 'gamey' taste from venison... but if you like that, you can add red wine and / or juniper berries to a recipe and it will enhance that flavour....

BG :)

Heres one the late JW gave me afew years back...Its very nice..
    Give it a go

dices venison any part will do ,just dice it small ..all diced carrot ,onion,parsnip,leak,turnip, cabbage ,,or what ever is in the fridge ..trick is to dice small enough for a flask .

fry off the meat in olive oil with some onion , when done add the veg .also add a half pac of tomato and ox tail soup .

chili ,black pepper , white pepper .. no salt as the soup will have enough ..

a good glass of red near the end ...

i have yet to see some one out with me to leave some ...

ps.. i dont like spuds in it as they turn into mush ,,pasta is better just at the end .

That looks a smashing pie:D I'd love to come to your house for my tea:DMy missis woulden't entertain any thing like that but the kids would and do. She did help me the other day when i was making bunny bangers they where deadly:D Thanks for the pic BadGirl.

Hi lee70
    Your bunny bangers sound good.... How do you make them?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Anyone got any tasty recipes for wood pigeon??

Pictures would be great also ;)

John

Hi lee70
    Your bunny bangers sound good.... How do you make them?
    This is what i use

3 good sized rabbits (saddles & legs).
    1lb sausage meat.
    1 large onion.(dice)
    2/3 garlic cloves.(chopped)
    6 spring onions.(chopped)
    1 courgette.(gratted)
    rosemary & thyme.
    salt & pepper.
    sausage skins. (your local butcher is your best bet).

I normally use 3 good size rabbits especially older one as they tend to be a bit tough. Fry onion for a bit in some oil then add your garlic fry a bit more add courgette and carry on frying untill all moisture/water has gone then add the spring oninos, rosemary & thyme, salt and pepper leave to one side to cool.
    Prep the rabbits for mincing i usually tend to use just saddles and back legs for this. Remove all unwated bits bone etc etc and put rabbit meat through a mincer. I use the course setting as i like chunks of meat i my bangers. When all the rabbit is minced mix all your ingredients together (its best to use your hands for this). Then heat a little oil in a pan and cook some of the mix to see how it tastes if its ok then pass back through the mincer with the sausage attachment on. If you don't have this attachment then just roll sausage shapes or make burgers.

I have 8 bunnies out the back in salted water i shot yesterday eve i some sausage skins but not enough for all of then i'm dabbling with the idea of using paprika. What do you think?

hmm, would say paprika would be nice..... give it a bit of spiciness without being too hot...

We got Venison bangers once and they were spicy, they were delicious :)

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    Anyone got any tasty recipes for wood pigeon??

Pictures would be great also ;)

John
    Have a look at the very first post on this thread, its posted by It wasn't me. Its very good and easy to do. There are plenty more if you start at no 1 and work your way through the pages.
    Good luck, you cant beat a bit of pigeon done right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Mark Gilchrist showing us some good cooking tips.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcYxfOf0Xg

This is great with the rabbit, changed out his sauce for a tomato passata from Lidl was excelent...

Some Oregano n Basil made for a very nice flavour through out

Advertisement