Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 odhrans

We've got another month at least before the 'european' aubergine fades out of season, this recipe calls for fiesty flavoured ones, try Italian or Spanish. Why not? Its simple, tasty as an appetizer and a homely food! The smokey flavours of the purée really set the scene on the table for a main course of wild duck or venison stew. Perfect with a full bodied Burgundian Pinot Noir!

Preparation time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:
    2-3 of the largest aubergines you can find (about 1.5-2 kg total)
    ½ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
    Juice from two lemons, strained
    Salt and pepper to taste
    pinch of crushed garlic and cumin, optional

Preparation:
    Preheat your oven to 200°C. Grill the aubergines using the grill function of your oven until the skins are completely blackened and charred, about 15 minutes. Patience is the secret to really creamy aubergine, so be sure not to undercook them.
    Turn every 5 minutes or so to ensure even cooking. Transfer the tray to preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the inside flesh becomes creamy like custard and very soft.
    Fill a bowl with a half cup or more of olive oil. When the aubergines are ready, let them cool a little bit (perhaps in a paper bag to infuse smokey flavour), then peel away the charred skin and scoop out the butter pulp with a spoon. Add the pulp to the oil and whisk it with a fork. This mixture will form an emulsion. If it doesn't, it means the aubergines needed more time.
    Add the lemon, salt and pepper and optional flavours to taste. Serve with double-toasted crunchy bread (or melba toast) and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 odhrans

Preparation time: 60-70 minutes Cooking time: 21⁄2 hours Serves: 6+

Ingredients

Hungarian venison stew*

1.5 kg venison (neck, shoulder or 4-9 intercostal muscle), cut into 3 cm cubes 2-3 large onions, cut finely into thin strips
    6 tablespoons lard (pork/duck/goose fat)
    Few cloves of garlic (to taste), sliced†
    2 large ripe tomatoes, deseeded, skinned, chopped (or good quality tinned†)
    2 green banana peppers, deseeded and diced
    2-3 tablespoons (noble sweet*) paprika powder
    1⁄2-1 teaspoon of caraway seeds†
    Pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper
    300-400 ml good quality red wine

Nokedli/Spätzle:
    450 g plain flour
    3 large free-range eggs, plus one extra yolk, beaten
    1-2 teaspoons salt
    Pinch of pepper
    Small pinch ground nutmeg
    135 ml whole milk
    135 ml water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Few tablespoons butter
    Some pickled gherkins, for serving

† denotes ingredients used only in certain regions or absent in more traditional recipes * my interpretation!

Preparation
    Using at least a 4 or 5 litre heavy pot (e.g. iron), fry the onions and green peppers together in the 3-4 tbsp lard over a low heat for 20-30 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water halfway through this time and don’t let the onions dry or brown: they should turn light yellowish and translucent. Towards the end of this 30-40 mins, add the caraway seeds, garlic and tomatoes to the onions.
    Meanwhile, season the venison with salt and pepper and using another large, heavy pan, brown the meat in 2 tbsp of lard over a medium heat, turning infrequently to brown all sides. Add the pan-fried meat to the pot containing the onions, deglazing the pan with some water or wine, and add these juices also. Add a pinch of salt. Add the paprika powder to coat the meat and mix thoroughly, taking care to keep the pot over a low heat only (or remove from heat temporarily - paprika can easily be burnt due to high sugars: can turn brown and bitter!). Add the wine and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until the alcohol evaporates, then add enough water just to cover the meat. Leave to simmer over a low heat, uncovered for approx. 2 - 21⁄2 hours until the meat is very tender. Add water if the stew becomes too dry/uncovered, otherwise allow the sauce to gradually thicken over the cooking time.

To make the nokedli/spätzle, sift the flour and add the nutmeg and salt. Beat the eggs and egg yolk together and mix with flour to form a sort of paste. Mix milk and water and add bit by bit until it forms a thick batter. Boil a large pot of water. Place a colander/sieve over the top of the pot of water. Pour the batter into the sieve and push it through the holes with a spatula - do this in one or two batches if necessary (you can also use a potato ricer for the same effect by inserting the specific perforated insert). Simmer the nokedli for 2 or 3 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon, place onto a plate to cool.

To finish, in another pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil, season the nokedli with salt and pepper and start to fry the cooked nokedli. Add a few tablespoons of butter and sauté further until light gold in colour.

Garnish the stew with a few slices of paprika (long sweet type) and serve with pickled gherkins. Sour cream can also be offered but it is not added to the sauce during cooking.

Notes
    • While the venison is slowly simmering, you can make the nokedli
    • Look for longer banana peppers, they have more taste (but don’t have to be hot at all)
    • Use good quality tomatoes, preferably fresh; if white (unripe) inside, don’t add at all!
    • Best to use paprika powder within 6-8 months of purchase as flavour declines over time
    • Take care that the stew pot doesn’t boil dry - you will smell a burnt smell and the colour will turn
    brown. Very poor prognosis!
    • The quality and marbling of the venison will effect the outcome
    • Use a drinkable fruity red wine such as a Blaufränkisch/fruity Spanish Grenache (not for cleaning windows)
    • Glazing the onions at the start is a critical step in attaining the depth of flavour and body of the dish
    — the more onions you add, the more unctuous and sweet the sauce will become - you can add 1kg
    of onions at the start instead of only 2 or 3, which will change the recipe to type of a “Viennese stew”)
    • Divide the amounts in half for a smaller dish for 2-4 people; freezes well also

• It’s not traditional to sauté the nokedli after cooking, I just think they taste better :)
    Comments welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

Nice recipe, I love spatzle noodles, last had them in australia where they were also sauteed :)

Best part of the deer for stewing, the neck.

odhrans wrote: »
    Preparation time: 60-70 minutes Cooking time: 21⁄2 hours Serves: 6+

Ingredients

Hungarian venison stew*

1.5 kg venison (neck, shoulder or 4-9 intercostal muscle), cut into 3 cm cubes 2-3 large onions, cut finely into thin strips
    6 tablespoons lard (pork/duck/goose fat)
    Few cloves of garlic (to taste), sliced†
    2 large ripe tomatoes, deseeded, skinned, chopped (or good quality tinned†)
    2 green banana peppers, deseeded and diced
    2-3 tablespoons (noble sweet*) paprika powder
    1⁄2-1 teaspoon of caraway seeds†
    Pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper
    300-400 ml good quality red wine

Nokedli/Spätzle:
    450 g plain flour
    3 large free-range eggs, plus one extra yolk, beaten
    1-2 teaspoons salt
    Pinch of pepper
    Small pinch ground nutmeg
    135 ml whole milk
    135 ml water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Few tablespoons butter
    Some pickled gherkins, for serving

† denotes ingredients used only in certain regions or absent in more traditional recipes * my interpretation!

Preparation
    Using at least a 4 or 5 litre heavy pot (e.g. iron), fry the onions and green peppers together in the 3-4 tbsp lard over a low heat for 20-30 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water halfway through this time and don’t let the onions dry or brown: they should turn light yellowish and translucent. Towards the end of this 30-40 mins, add the caraway seeds, garlic and tomatoes to the onions.
    Meanwhile, season the venison with salt and pepper and using another large, heavy pan, brown the meat in 2 tbsp of lard over a medium heat, turning infrequently to brown all sides. Add the pan-fried meat to the pot containing the onions, deglazing the pan with some water or wine, and add these juices also. Add a pinch of salt. Add the paprika powder to coat the meat and mix thoroughly, taking care to keep the pot over a low heat only (or remove from heat temporarily - paprika can easily be burnt due to high sugars: can turn brown and bitter!). Add the wine and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until the alcohol evaporates, then add enough water just to cover the meat. Leave to simmer over a low heat, uncovered for approx. 2 - 21⁄2 hours until the meat is very tender. Add water if the stew becomes too dry/uncovered, otherwise allow the sauce to gradually thicken over the cooking time.

To make the nokedli/spätzle, sift the flour and add the nutmeg and salt. Beat the eggs and egg yolk together and mix with flour to form a sort of paste. Mix milk and water and add bit by bit until it forms a thick batter. Boil a large pot of water. Place a colander/sieve over the top of the pot of water. Pour the batter into the sieve and push it through the holes with a spatula - do this in one or two batches if necessary (you can also use a potato ricer for the same effect by inserting the specific perforated insert). Simmer the nokedli for 2 or 3 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon, place onto a plate to cool.

To finish, in another pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil, season the nokedli with salt and pepper and start to fry the cooked nokedli. Add a few tablespoons of butter and sauté further until light gold in colour.

Garnish the stew with a few slices of paprika (long sweet type) and serve with pickled gherkins. Sour cream can also be offered but it is not added to the sauce during cooking.

Notes
    • While the venison is slowly simmering, you can make the nokedli
    • Look for longer banana peppers, they have more taste (but don’t have to be hot at all)
    • Use good quality tomatoes, preferably fresh; if white (unripe) inside, don’t add at all!
    • Best to use paprika powder within 6-8 months of purchase as flavour declines over time
    • Take care that the stew pot doesn’t boil dry - you will smell a burnt smell and the colour will turn
    brown. Very poor prognosis!
    • The quality and marbling of the venison will effect the outcome
    • Use a drinkable fruity red wine such as a Blaufränkisch/fruity Spanish Grenache (not for cleaning windows)
    • Glazing the onions at the start is a critical step in attaining the depth of flavour and body of the dish
    — the more onions you add, the more unctuous and sweet the sauce will become - you can add 1kg
    of onions at the start instead of only 2 or 3, which will change the recipe to type of a “Viennese stew”)
    • Divide the amounts in half for a smaller dish for 2-4 people; freezes well also

• It’s not traditional to sauté the nokedli after cooking, I just think they taste better :)
    Comments welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Came up with a lovely rabbit casserole today, trying to play with a couple of different types of flavours, turned out spectacularly.

Take two rabbits and joint them.

Mix flour, black pepper, coriander, cumin and the juice of a lime and roll the rabbit joints in the mix until well coated.

Fry until brown in vegetable oil and set aside.

Add a chopped onion and three cloves of garlic to the pan and fry until soft.

Add the rabbit and vegetables to a casserole dish, with a pint of chicken stock and a tin (or a tin and a half) of chopped tomatoes. Add a good few dollops of natural yoghurt and the juice of another lime. Add black pepper if necessary, cover and pop in a preheated oven at 180, turn down to 150 after twenty minutes and leave for about two hours in total.

Serve with pilau rice and/or naan bread as below. Spectacularly tasty.

Photo0000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

That looks really good.
    Can you still get rabbits? Does anyone know good spot to find rabbits in North Co. Clare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Came up with a lovely rabbit casserole today, trying to play with a couple of different types of flavours, turned out spectacularly.

Take two rabbits and joint them.

Mix flour, black pepper, coriander, cumin and the juice of a lime and roll the rabbit joints in the mix until well coated.

Fry until brown in vegetable oil and set aside.

Add a chopped onion and three cloves of garlic to the pan and fry until soft.

Add the rabbit and vegetables to a casserole dish, with a pint of chicken stock and a tin (or a tin and a half) of chopped tomatoes. Add a good few dollops of natural yoghurt and the juice of another lime. Add black pepper if necessary, cover and pop in a preheated oven at 180, turn down to 150 after twenty minutes and leave for about two hours in total.

Serve with pilau rice and/or naan bread as below. Spectacularly tasty.

Photo0000.jpg

IWM I hope that tastes as good as it looks :)
    They look like KK rabbits to me ;)

clivej wrote: »

Good eye Clive! ;) They've been in the freezer too long while I tried to think of something good to do with them. Need to shoot a few more now when I get a chance with the shotty. Tasted even better than it looks to be honest. Absolutely beautiful. The lime and coriander came through really well after the casseroling (Couldn't fit one saddle in the casserole dish after frying and it was delicious on its own). Two hours left the meat lovely and tender but not quite falling apart, just barely holding onto the bone. Perfect. Would definitely recommend and will be making it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Took a bit of Ribeye venison out of the deep freeze anjd left it in teh fridge to defrost for 2 days.

Good Golly Miss Molly she that Pricket was tender.

I added some of Darina's Brown stuff to taste :D:D
    Simple dish, no meat, no Veg.
    181104.jpg
    Just the most tender cut of venison (Corn Fattened ;) )
    181105.jpg

No animals were harmed in the making of this commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

i have to try that one....Sounds very good..

dwighet wrote: »
    i have to try that one....Sounds very good..

Best part is the amount of beer drinking time. Fried stuff and put it in the oven to casserole, had a couple of beers, walked to the Indian to get the rice and naans (Was feeling lazy), back in time for another beer or two before it was ready. Proper order. :)

• Advertisement

Took a bit of Ribeye venison out of the deep freeze anjd left it in teh fridge to defrost for 2 days.

Good Golly Miss Molly she that Pricket was tender.

I added some of Darina's Brown stuff to taste :D:D
    Simple dish, no meat, no Veg.

Just the most tender cut of venison (Corn Fattened ;) )

No animals were harmed in the making of this commercial
    I just read what I wrote last night, god my spelling is dreadful.
    Well I suppose I was up late :o

IWish I had taken another piece out of the freezer last night, Starving now,

P.S, Darina's Brown stuff is Ballymaloe Relish from the Jar.
    ballymaloe_relish_L.gif
    Goes excellant with Venison, or just steak for that matter.

I used no salt or pepper when frying, just a little sunflower oil on a Tefal steak pan.

Moral of story, always spell check!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Right, so the hubby's just home with 3 pheasants and 2 rabbits. Any inspiring ideas for me lads?

Might try the rabbit casserole from It Wasn't Me, it sounds really nice...

P.S, Darina's Brown stuff is Ballymaloe Relish from the Jar.
    ballymaloe_relish_L.gif
    Goes excellant with Venison, or just steak for that matter.

Aldi do a version of this too (think it's actually made by Ballymaloe too) but they also have a Jalapeno pepper relish, it's only gorgeous! You should try it. Would be gorgeous with the meat (or even a cheese sandwich!) :)

BadGirl wrote: »
    Aldi do a version of this too (think it's actually made by Ballymaloe too) but they also have a Jalapeno pepper relish, it's only gorgeous! You should try it. Would be gorgeous with the meat (or even a cheese sandwich!) :)

Bread meat Ballymaloe Grated cheese more bread.

Put a baking tray on the top of the range, and keep turning until bread golden brown and cheese and ballymaloe has melted and mixed through the meat, very handy, very tasty and very quick to prepare if you have some Cold Venison in the fridge, or Pheasants.

I always found relish lovely on hot meat sandwches.

I remember when I was in my weekend job as a teen bringing in Pheasant sandwiches and I would grill them on the Gas heater.

I also like Ploughmans pickle and Venison.

I really should start shopping in Lidl/Aldi :o

BadGirl wrote: »
    Might try the rabbit casserole from It Wasn't Me, it sounds really nice...

Feel free to give feedback. A spoon or two of honey in the stock would be an interesting idea too.

So, was horrifically hungover today and couldn't manage the thoughts of the Bunny casserole, got one of the Knorr Season and Shake bags and put the 2 jointed rabbits in it and bunged it in the oven.
    Came out with lovely flavours and very tender. Handy idea of stuck for time or inspiration.
    And the hangover has subsided somewhat so i even may manage to EAT some of it! :D

IMAG0013.jpgIMAG0015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lolliemunster

i had rabbit for the first time recently- a friend of mine made rabbit beamish stew, rabbit stewed in stout for a good time, it was delicious!

187027.jpg

Enjoyed a great day's shooting in North Cork recently where I managed to get a few birds for our St Stephen's Day lunch. I'm going to make game terrine, the recipe for which is below. Wishing you all a merry Christmas and happy New Year!

Game terrine with celeriac remoulade

Serves at least 6

I adore this kind of food for casual entertaining: thick slabs of a wonderful rustic winter terrine sitting on slices of crusty white or sourdough bread and some tangy celeriac remoulade on the side. This is great to serve for lunch when having friends staying over for the weekend. If you have a mincer, the texture will be better, however, you can mince meat in a food processor by pulsing a few times to get very small pieces.

25g (1oz) butter, plus extra for greasing
    1 large onion, peeled and very finely chopped
    Salt and ground black pepper
    300g (11oz) boneless mixed game bird meat, minced or pulsed in a food processor
    200g (7oz) minced pork (at least 20% fat)
    50g (2oz) streaky bacon, minced or pulsed in a food processor
    Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    3 juniper berries, crushed
    2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
    8–10 rashers of streaky bacon, rind removed
    25g (1oz) shelled pistachios
    2 boneless game breasts (about 200g/7oz in total), such as pheasant, pigeon, partridge or woodcock, cut into strips
    Bay leaves and juniper berries, to decorate

For the celeriac remoulade
    1⁄2 celeriac
    250ml (9fl oz) mayonnaise
    Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
    2 tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard

13x23cm(5x9in) loaf tin or casserole dish

1 Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the chopped onion with some salt and pepper, then cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for about 8–10 minutes or until the onion is softened and slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
    2 Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the minced meats with the nutmeg, juniper berries and the chopped thyme and season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked onions, then fry a little bit of this mixture in a hot pan and taste for seasoning.
    3 Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4, and butter the loaf tin.
    4 Place the bacon rashers between two sheets of cling filmand roll out with a rolling pin to make the bacon slices thinner and longer. Peel away the cling film from the bacon and linea loaf tin or small casserole by placing the rashers slices side by side along its width, making sure that each piece hangs over each side as it will be folded back over the top of the terrine.
    5 Spread one-third of the minced meat mixture over the baconon the bottom of the tin, then scatter with half the pistachiosand arrange half the pieces of game on top to cover the surface. Spread out a second third of the minced meat mixture, followedby another layer of the pistachios and game fillets. Fill with theremaining minced meat mixture, level out with the back of a spoon, then fold the overlapping bacon back over the top to cover.
    6 Cover with foil, place in a bain-marie (a roasting tin filled toa depth of a few centimetres with boiling water) and bake in the oven for about 11⁄2 hours or until cooked through or firm tothe touch in the centre. (To check that it’s cooked, insert a metal skewer into the centre of the terrine and leave for 10 seconds; the skewer, once removed, will then feel too hot to hold against the inside of your wrist.) Remove the foil after the first 45 minutes.
    7 Let the terrine sit in the loaf tin for about 20 minutes before turning out onto a plate and allowing to cool to room temperature. Decorate with some bay leaves and juniper berries.
    8 Meanwhile, make the remoulade. Peel and finely slice the celeriac into matchstick-sized pieces or grate using the roughest part of the grater or in a food processor. Then mix with the remaining ingredients in a bowl, seasoning to taste.
    9 Cut the terrine into slices and serve with crusty white or sourdough bread and the celeriac remoulade.

Rachel’s tip
    If you are using your own game meat, use it from the legs, thighs, kidneys, livers and hearts. If you or someone you know has shot a pheasant, pigeon or partridge, you could use up the whole bird in this dish: I tend to use two pheasants or one pheasant and one pigeon, but you could otherwise use a pack of mixed game from the butcher or a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sounds a bit weird, but a really good mixture for roasting and BBQing. It's a rough rub, not powdery, but full of flavour. I use it on venison and I would love to try it on boar. It works well on pork steak and, it's very cheap to put together.

Forgive my measurements, but you will get it right over time, and everyone likes different things. Just don't be frugal with the salt.

A handful of fennel seeds. (Asian markets have the best value, big bags)
    A good bunch of rosemary. (Easily grown in the garden)
    A handful of sea salt. (The larger flaky kind)
    A good bit of ground pepper. (Again, Asian markets have large bags for half nothing)

Crush and mash the fennel seeds in a pestle and morter.
    Finely chop the fresh rosemary.
    Ad the salt and pepper.

Spread the mix on a large tray and slash your meat and roll it in the mix, push the bits that didn't stick to the meat in to the slashes.

Drizzle with oil. Irish Rape seed oil is very good, nice flavour and does well on the BBQ. Roll the meat again, getting it all mixed up, push and rub the oil and mix in to your slashes and under any fat you can get in to.

If your roasting, when the meat is done, take the meat out of the tray, let it stand, put the tray on the hob with all the glup and seasoning that fell off the meat, pour a glass of white wine in and let it bubble, loosening the fat and sticky stuff on the bottom of the tray by rubbing a wooden spoon along the bottom. It should reduce and get thicker, great to pour on to the meat.

It's very important to drink the rest of the wine and maybe open another bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Stuffed a mallard with a mix of black puddin tomatoes and mozzarella. Rubbed a bit of butter on the skin with some salt and pepper to finish.

Banged it in the oven.
    Very tasty for a 'random things left in the fridge after christmas' creation.

• Advertisement

Just did two slow pot roast pheasants with butter beans, chorizo, stock, thyme, white wine, stock, onion and garlic. Got the recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's book called River Cottage Everyday.

Lovely, the meat could be pinched off the bone, very tender. I served it with mash (as suggested) Loads of tasty broth left over for pouring over.

(My tips.. really good iron roasting dishes that can accommodate two large pheasants and all the other ingredients can be got at very good prices in IKEA.

All this frying off will smell your house out a bit, lots of smoke, so be prepared for pissed off wives/girlfriends and drooling dogs.

I felt the food needed two and a half hours @ gas mark one, not two hours, then I gave a good blast of high heat for fifteen minutes.

Superquinns chorizo was perfect, no fat on the surface of the broth.

I didn't seal the pheasant enough on the pan at the start, so I'd break up the birds first and brown properly to get the skin crispy)

I wasn't going to post the recipe up, as it's his book, his recipe, but it's online here!! Hope the mods are ok with this, apologies if it's not good.

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pot-roast-pheasant-with-chorizo-butter-beans-and-parsley/

Hugh's recipe copied and pasted from the website above;

Place a large flameproof casserole (one that will accommodate both birds) over a medium heat and heat the butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil until foaming. Add the onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaves and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and slightly golden. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan.

Season the pheasants all over with salt and pepper, add to the pan and brown on all sides over a high heat for 3–4 minutes. Transfer to the casserole. Add the chorizo to the frying pan and fry for 3–4 minutes, until browned, then add to the casserole too.

Deglaze the frying pan by pouring in a little of the wine and stirring to scrape up any bits from the base of the pan. Add to the pheasants with the rest of the wine, the stock and the butter beans. The liquid doesn’t need to cover the birds but it should come at least halfway up. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in an oven preheated to 140�C/Gas Mark 1.

Cook for 2 hours, until the birds are tender.

Remove the pheasants from the casserole and leave to rest in a warm place for 15–20 minutes. If the chorizo has released a lot of fat, skim some off the juices in the pan. Cut the birds into halves or quarters
    and divide between 4 warm plates. Spoon over the chorizo, beans and sauce, and serve with mash or lots of bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just looking over some great recipes.... mouths watering. Good way of doing crispy skined featherd game is to rub the well with salt (24 hrs is ideal but 3-4 hrs will work) Prior to cooking rub off the salt with a damp, not wet, cloth. Heat the oven to 180oC and place the birds breast side down on to a tray (use a trivet for duck and geese) Roast like this for 30 mins (pheasant, ducks size) 10-15 for smaller birds. Turn oven down to 150oC and turn birds on thier back and cook for 30- 60 mins depending on size. Allow to rest 10 -15 minutes before carving / eating.

This has been a good season (not all from my barrells) have had pleanty of what the boys call game days- Vension, pheasant and duck platters. Vension Mole (stew with hint of chilli, red wine and choclate), Burgers moistened with cleen brittle white fat and lap trimmings nought else. Vension Rump Steaks. Pigenon with rum and rasins.......:D

This just popped up in my twitter feed, I hope it's ok to post the link... Looks interesting :)

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/info/1020/boozy-rabbit-with-prunes/

BG x

RE: Rough game meat rub

Sounds good and tastey, what works well with those dry rubs is a table spoon of sugar brown or white and this will give you a traditional glaze and sweetness of BBQ meats

RE: Rough game meat rub

Sounds good and tastey, what works well with those dry rubs is a table spoon of sugar brown or white and this will give you a traditional glaze and sweetness of BBQ meats

Will try this!! Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

just made these today and there gorgeous
    i used
    4 kg of venison
    1kg of bacon off cuts from lidl price 1.99
    chopped chives
    wholegrain mustard
    5 garlic cloves 1 per kilo
    3grammes of pepper

first mince the bacon offcuts with the smallest mincer attachment
    then use the biggest attachment for mincing the venison
    mix all the ingredients together in a big basin
    then run through the mincer again with the biggest attachment
    then its just a matter of making your burgers either by hand or i use this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ham-Beef-Burger-Press-Maker-Recipe-100-Wax-Discs-/130423070114?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item1e5dd21da2

hand pressing it together is enough to make the burger no need to force it down onto the table as i did as the sides start to split

Y'know, sometimes, simplest is best. Did this tonight.

Cut two small venison roasts into cutlets, about an inch thick. Heat oil in a pan until hot, add chopped garlic and chillies and black pepper, stir about for a minute. Add the venison cutlets and sear. Keep them good and rare, just brown on the outside, red all the way through, mix around some of the garlic and chillies. When all the cutlets are browned, add some noodles, splash on a bit of light oyster sauce and soy sauce, eat. Properly excellent food.

Y'know, sometimes, simplest is best. Did this tonight.

Cut two small venison roasts into cutlets, about an inch thick. Heat oil in a pan until hot, add chopped garlic and chillies and black pepper, stir about for a minute. Add the venison cutlets and sear. Keep them good and rare, just brown on the outside, red all the way through, mix around some of the garlic and chillies. When all the cutlets are browned, add some noodles, splash on a bit of light oyster sauce and soy sauce, eat. Properly excellent food.

I always maintain that rare is the only way to cook Venison. When its over-cooked the good taste is gone, and I'm not talking about a gamey taste.

I always maintain that rare is the only way to cook Venison. When its over-cooked the good taste is gone, and I'm not talking about a gamey taste.

As I told you before, I'd have it raw, and have done so, but just searing the outside is absolutely beautiful. It's still red all the way through, done right. That way, it really is the finest meat there is.

• Advertisement

Last few deer carcasses that came my way this season gone, were only hung for approx 7 days before skinning and butchering. Boned them all out to joints (just stuck to large muscle groups and the long lions) stewing pieces and mince. Kept some of the meat in the chill room for 5 more days before cooking. Point being, all animals regardless of size, shot placement or location (low land or high land) yielded very tender meat without the need for excessive hanging time. In the catering trade long term hanging of both feathered and furred is not really being practiced as the consumer is shying away from ‘gamey flavours’. I had a Vension Goulash last night full of cumin, smoked paprika and tomatoes all of which added to but did not hide the wonderful ‘meaty’ flavour of the venison that cannot be found in shop bought meat.

Advertisement