Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recipes and Tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Last few deer carcasses that came my way this season gone, were only hung for approx 7 days before skinning and butchering. Boned them all out to joints (just stuck to large muscle groups and the long lions) stewing pieces and mince. Kept some of the meat in the chill room for 5 more days before cooking. Point being, all animals regardless of size, shot placement or location (low land or high land) yielded very tender meat without the need for excessive hanging time. In the catering trade long term hanging of both feathered and furred is not really being practiced as the consumer is shying away from ‘gamey flavours’. I had a Vension Goulash last night full of cumin, smoked paprika and tomatoes all of which added to but did not hide the wonderful ‘meaty’ flavour of the venison that cannot be found in shop bought meat.
    Venison Goulash, that sounds yum. Cookimonster if you have the recipe and some time you might post it up. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Venison Goulash
    Ingredients
    400g Venison , (shoulder, diced)
    25g Dripping or oil
    75g Onions, rough cut
    75g Carrots, rough cut

1 Clove of garlic (mashed)
    5g (tspn) Smoked Paprika
    Pinch Chilli Powder
    ½ tspn Ground Cumin
    25g Flour
    1tbspn Tomato Purée
    400ml Stock, brown

100ml Red Wine
    250ml Tomato Juice
    1 Bouquet garni (shop bought)
    Seasoning

Method
    1. To a dry hot pan add the flour and stir constantly until light brown in colour, set aside for later.
    2. Fry the meat quickly in hot fat until lightly browned.
    3. Add vegetables and fry to golden brown.
    4. Add the spices (smoked paprika, chilli powder and ground cumin) and cook out (do not burn or sauce will be bitter)
    5. Add flour and quickly mix in to form a paste (brown roux).
    6. Add tomato purée and stir in and allow to cool.
    7. Add the stock and wine together
    8. Mix in stock slowly (2 tablespoons at first) and stir until a smooth paste is formed. Continue this until a smooth thick sauce has formed.
    9. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil, stirring to ensure smoothness.
    10. Simmer with lid on for 40 – 45mins or until meat is tender.
    11. Serve as is (450g of peeled potatoes may be added at stage 9) or alternatively see stage 12.
    12. Pick out meat and keep warm in a clean pan, pass sauce through strainer over meat.
    Serve with rice, short pasta, gnocchi or crusty bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

daithi55 wrote: »
    just made these today and there gorgeous
    i used
    4 kg of venison
    1kg of bacon off cuts from lidl price 1.99
    chopped chives
    wholegrain mustard
    5 garlic cloves 1 per kilo
    3grammes of pepper

first mince the bacon offcuts with the smallest mincer attachment
    then use the biggest attachment for mincing the venison
    mix all the ingredients together in a big basin
    then run through the mincer again with the biggest attachment
    then its just a matter of making your burgers either by hand or i use this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ham-Beef-Burger-Press-Maker-Recipe-100-Wax-Discs-/130423070114?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item1e5dd21da2

hand pressing it together is enough to make the burger no need to force it down onto the table as i did as the sides start to split
    Hi Daithi, how much wholegrain mustard were you using roughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Hi Daithi, how much wholegrain mustard were you using roughly.

a good dessert spoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Based on the dish I did with the rabbits before, I came up with a venison recipe which helps bring out the flavour nice and strongly.

About two pounds of venison, diced
    Two decent sized onions, diced
    One whole red pepper, cut into strips
    Cumin
    Chilli paste
    Coriander
    Pint of stock
    Tomato puree
    Chopped tinned tomatoes
    Honey
    Natural Yoghurt
    One orange
    One lime

Fry the onions and the peppers until they start to soften and throw them in a casserole dish. Brown the venison and add it too in batches. Add the pint of stock, a small tin of tomato puree, a big dessert spoon of honey, a good shake of the cumin and coriander, a good dollop of chilli paste, the tinned chopped tomatoes and a good dollop, maybe a little less than half a pint, of natural yoghurt. Take the orange and the lime and squeeze the juice straight in. Stir about and put in the oven at 180 for about half an hour. Turn down to 150 and give it another hour. I served it with rice, but there's another full day there now and that'll be with naans or fresh crusty bread. Absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

either hang the rabbit or soak in salt watter over night
    next day boil/simmer in watter for 2 and a half hours,
    IMAG0134.jpg

after the rabbit is cold the meat will fall of the bones, strip all the meat

fry up mushrooms garlic peppers onions in a garlic olive oil
    add in your rabbit bits.
    to make it faster use the seasoning power from one of the old paso dinner kits
    Original-smoky-bbq-fajita-kit.jpg

i dont like tomatos so i dont use salsa or tomatos
    but should look like
    IMAG0137.jpg

serve eat relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Got giving some venison by a shooting buddy of mine. Never had it before so looking forward to it. Was thinking of doing this.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4811/panfried-venison-with-blackberry-sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

was reading through another forum and came on a question someone wanting to know what they could put in there gun case and cabinet to remove moisture and prevent rust. anyway the answer is rice the stuff is unreal at absorbing moisture works great for electronics also have used it on wet phones and a 3ds that my 5 year old decided to wash under the tap

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

thanks snipe waiting for wifey to go to bingo and will be raiding the press:D:D;) having a bit of a damp problem and noticed the 2 shotties with specks of rust never thought of feckin rice cheap as chips too! nice one;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For the day that's in it :)

Fantastic way to cook duck, lovely and simple, lets the quality of the meat come right out, no hiding it behind thick treacly sauces here.

• Advertisement

Galantine of Pheasant

Just a simple dish for any game birds:

Basic ingredients:

4 Pheasant Breasts (boned, skinless, marinated in sherry(optional))
    250g Streaky Rashers, thinly sliced (smoked or plain)
    454g Bread Stuffing (homemade/ bought) ensure its cold but pliable.

Optional extras that may go into the stuffing:

50g Mushrooms, cooked, diced / sliced
    50g Diced Tomatoes
    50g Diced Cooked Ham
    50g Grated Boiled Egg
    Zest of Lemon / Orange

Method:

1. Batten out breasts until they are even in thickness (uses plastic freezer bag for this)
    01breasts.jpg

2. Lay out a layer of tin foil approx 30cm x 45cm and cover with a slightly smaller sheet of grease proof paper.

3. Arrange the bacon slightly over lapping in a rectangle that is just bigger than the total area, of the breasts when laid out.
    02rashors.jpg

4. Arrange breasts on bacon and mould the stuffing into a cylinder and lay down the middle.
    03breastlayerdonrashors.jpg

04stuffinf.jpg

5. Using the sheet of grease proof wrap the bacon/breast meat around one side of the stuffing, then pulling the paper away from you roll up the galantine into a even shaped cylinder. Roll this up tightly in the grease proof and then roll this in the tin foil.

05rollouterlayer.jpg

06rolledup.jpg

07wrappedingreaseproof.jpg

09wrappedintinfoil.jpg
    6. Place in a hot oven (150oC) and cook for an hour. Ensure juices run clear or probe reads 75oC.

7. Allow to relax for 20-30 minutes and slice thickly and serve with gravy or fruit compotes.

10cooked.jpg

8. This may be cooled and eaten cold.

11sliced.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Shot these Saturday
    IMAG0630.jpg

Take off the breasts and pulp into mince, theres 280gr of meat here
    IMAG0631.jpg
    Add in near enough the same amount of your favourite sausage meat,i used 200gr.
    IMAG0632.jpg

When the meat is mixed make a stuffing, i use bread crumb,rasher,onion,grated carrot.
    IMAG0634.jpg

Use puff pastry and line out a bun tray

IMAG0635.jpg

Then fill with meat mixture and top with stuffing
    IMAG0636.jpg

Place in preheated oven,mine is fan assisted at 180deg for 16minutes. This is result, tasty snacks.

IMAG0638.jpg

Fiestaman,
    Nice one, thats going in the book.

With the season around the corner, I thought I'd throw out a recipe I've been using with last season bounty....

Ratio Recipe (for large amounts)

60% Lean Meat
    20 % Fat
    (fat from carcas or pork fat)
    or
    80% Shoulder Meat (this has the natural amount of fat)

02.5% Seasoning
    06.5% Rusk (or fine bread crumb, crushed rice crispys)
    11% Water

One Kilo of Sausage:

600g Meat
    200g Fat
    25g Seasoning
    65g Rusk
    110g Water

(20 - 30% fat; will give a moist succulent sausage)

Method:

1. Cut the meat (and fat if separate) into 1" dice or small enough to pass through the mincer
    2. Mix all ingredients together.
    3. Chill everything (in refrigerator or in freezer)
    4. At this stage what you do depends on your set up.
    5. If you have a mincer with sausage making attachment then pass everything through a medium mincer plate and into casings.
    5. If you have no sausage attachment then pass through medium plate and chill for several hours before using a sausage stuffing machine.
    6. After linking sausages hang up in refrigerator overnight to allow the sausages to dry before packageing.
    7. When cooking- DO NOT pierce and cook slowly at a low heat.

Here's my basic seasoning mix, most ingredients are available in the ethnic shops spring up around the country:

Seasoning Mix Weight Actual % Average %
    Salt . 60g . 37.5% . 38%
    Onion Powder . 30g . 18.75% . 19%
    Garlic Powder . 30g . 18.75% . 19%
    White Pepper . 25g . 15.62% . 15%
    Ground Mace . 10g . 6.25 % 6%
    Mixed Herbs 5g . 3.1% 3%
    Total 160g . 100% . 100%

Method
    1. Mix all ingredients together.

Don't worry if your not up to the sausage making because the ratio of the mix makes a good burger recipe and the seasoning mix can be played with by removing the mace & mixed herbs and adding in the likes of cumin, paprika, chilli, corriander and ginger to add flavour from the eastern Europe, the middle east and the orient. This will give you kebabs, koftas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Very similar to what I make.

The crushed rice crispy's as rusk is brilliant, had heard of that idea before. Will defiantly be trying it.

Thanks

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

The rice crispy 'rusk' works great for a fine crumb coating for poultry, rabbit, chicken fried venison steaks etc....

If you are deep / shallow frying add your seasoning to flour or you will feck up the oil.

To 'pané' (crumb) dust food in seasoned flour, dip in well beaten eggs and then coat evenly in crumb (rusk)

10. Kg. Pork Shoulder
    10 Kg Boar / Venison
    4. Kg. Pork / Venison Liver
    12. Eggs
    1 L Milk
    3 Onions
    1/2 Port
    2 Bulbs of Garlic

Seasoning per Kg of meat.
    16g Salt
    4g Pepper
    4g Piment Espelette (or Hot Paprika)

Method:

1. Chop 1/2 the meat and mince the remaining 1/2.
    2. Mix meats with chopped onion, garlic and other ingredients.
    3. Fill sterile kiliner jars just to the neck with the mixture.
    4. Place jars into a large pot, cover with water (insure the jars are well covered in several inches of water)
    5. Bring water to the boil and cook for 3 hours, ensuring the water level doesn't drop by topping up as needed.
    6. Remove the jars DO NOT OPEN and allow to cool completely. There will be a layer of fat at the top of the jar, this natural as part of the cooking / preservation process.
    7. The jars should self seal with a vacuum seal, if so store in ambient temperatures away from light and heat source for 12 months plus, if not refrigerate and use within 2 weeks.

A variation to the last recipe but somewhat simpler and cheaper.

1Kg Venison Mince
    500g Sausage Meat
    300g Venison Liver minced
    200g Streaky Rashor minced
    1 tbspn Brandy
    1 tbspn Red Wine
    100g Milk
    1 Egg
    100g Bread Crumbs
    Pinch of Thyme
    1 tspn Salt
    1/4 tspn Black Pepper.
    IMAG0908_zps4aa4e06f.jpg

1. Mix meats with wine and brandy (if you can't get them minced chop the venison, liver and Bacon very fine.
    2. Add the egg and milk together and mix into meats.
    3. Mix dry ingredients together and mix will with the meat mixture. Chill in refrigerator.

IMAG0910_zps1296afef.jpg

4. Fill sterile kiliner jars (500ml) just to the neck with the mixture and then seal.

IMAG0912_zpsa0613b3d.jpg

5. Place jars into a largepot,coverwith water (insure the jars are well covered in several inches of water)

IMAG0913_zps8c4ab503.jpg

6. Bring water to the boil and cook for 3 hours, ensuring the water level doesn't drop by topping up as needed.
    7. Remove the jars DO NOT OPEN and allow to cool completely.

The jars should self seal with a vacuum seal, if so store in ambient temperatures away from light and heat source for 12 months plus, if not refrigerateand usewithin 2 weeks.

For variations substitute vension meat for feathered game, pork or a mixture of game.
    Serve cold with crusty bread or crackers, great in a hide, missed a few birds trying to get the last of it from the bottom of the jar:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

have to say cookimonster, seeing you turn game into beautiful food are some of my favourite posts on the site. Great stuff

Thanks I appreciate that.:)

• Advertisement

This is for the impatient like me who haven't the patience to pluck thier ducks.

Duck skinned & quartered ( breast & legs)
    Seasoning (what you desire)
    Gravy (your favorite package or mothers secret recipe but keep it thin)
    1/2 Table spoon of wine or spirits per whole duck
    Duck Fat, softened at room temp, 100g per jar (if your going to keep for sometime) .

1. Season duck as desired and place in an oven proof dish.
    2. Sprinkle with alcohol.
    3. Make up gravy and pour it hot over the duck ensuring it completely covers the portions.
    Cover with tight fitting lid or wrap dish well in tin foil.
    4. Place into a pre-heated oven at 130C and cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until the meat falls away from leg bones.
    5. You may eat this straight away with the gravy (thickened with a little diluted cornflour)
    OR
    6. Place portions of hot duck into sterile kiliner jars (you'll get two mallard into each large jar)
    7. Reboil the gravy and pour into jars and spoon in duck fat ensuring that gravy / fat covers the meat by at least an inch. Seal jars and allow to cool before storing in refrigerator.

Jar opened after one month.
    IMAG0919_zpse0a028ed.jpg

Kiliner Jar with layer of fat removed
    IMAG0920_zps2d45f553.jpg

Contents removed, this can be eaten cold or reheated in its own juice in the oven (150C) and served with potatoes roasted in the fat. This picture shows two jars with the meat of 4 mallards.
    IMAG0922_zpsb8ec4528.jpg

Looks lovely. Are the breasts nice and tender this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

looks lovely its good to see all these dishes that lads are making with what they has shot I would love to be able to do it myself

fiestaman wrote: »
    Looks lovely. Are the breasts nice and tender this way?

So tender you only need a spoon to eat them, but they still remain moist and very tasty, some what the same as confit but with out the salt / fat content.

IMO I think wild duck is at its best cooked long and slow.

So tender you only need a spoon to eat them, but they still remain moist and very tasty, some what the same as confit but with out the salt / fat content.

IMO I think wild duck is at its best cooked long and slow.

Me mouth is watering. I have 8 breasts in the freezer, will give it a go at wkend. Thanks lad

I wounder would woodcock breasts work with the duck and do them altogether? What you think?

Should be ok , this recipe works with all types of meat. Been submerged in liquid during the cooking process keeps it moist.

Right, i used cookimonsters reciepe for 4xmallard 1xteal 1xwoodcock, all breasts. Made up a gravey and put all 12 breasts in pot and stewed for 2hrs at 130deg. They came out lovely and tender. I flaked them up when cooled down. Then made sweated onion with a few mixed herbs in them. Diced up spudz and carrots and par boiled them for 10min. Then fill pie dish. Layer of onion then duck then onion then spud & carrot then more duck. Make up a thicker sauce with the left over poaching gravy and laddle into each pie. then puff pastry on top.Into oven then at 180 for 20 mins. This is result. Very very very tasty. I got 7 pies. Thanks cookimonster
    IMAG1475.jpg
    IMAG1478.jpg
    IMAG1479.jpg
    IMAG1480.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

anyone have a nice recipe for a leg of venison

• Advertisement

fiestaman wrote: »
    Thanks cookimonsterQUOTE]

Not at all, that's some labour of love but from the description and photos its worth it down to the very last bite, nice one.

Advertisement