Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not driving like a motorcyclist...

• 29-05-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

On my way home from Shankill today, I came across a motorcyclist that, for lack of a better phrase, didn't drive like a motorcyclist. He drove at 40 in a 60 zone, accelerated from traffic lights at a snails pace, didn't filter traffic, and didn't overtake on a wide open road.

Now, this may seem like a non-issue, but for the fact that he made every driver near him nervous...including me. Since he wasn't driving like motorcyclists usually do, that made him....well, unpredictable. Cars were moving to the left side of the lane to let him pass, and generally being very motorcycle-friendly drivers, but he just stayed where he was.

It's hard to explain his driving, but it just wasn't 'normal', and you could see other drivers reacting to it....constantly checking him in the mirror, giving even more room to overtake etc.

He was on a 04 bike, had no L plate and was wearing proper protective gear, so I don't think he's a new driver.

Other drivers know what to expect when they see a biker and react accordingly. If a biker drives outside this expectation, they become unpredicatable and that could actually lead to an accident I believe.

I was thinking....I don't think it would matter what the road rules were, or how badly motorcyclist drove, so long as we all drove the same way. When we drive in the way that other motorist expect us to, there are no/very few accidents. It's the unpredictable driving that causes accidents. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry for rambling post that probably doesn't make much sense. I'm in an odd mood today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

He was probably doing his lip stick in the mirror:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A mate of mine who i ride with regularly is like this in traffic, hes not nervous nor is hed a bad motorcyclist but stick him on a quiet back road and you would swear he had just stolen the thing:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He may have been running out of petrol or a nervous rider. You are on a fourm giving out about someone obeying the law and being a very carefull rider:confused: I've often seen bikes sitting in traffic and not filtering, I think they may aswell be in a car since they aren't getting any benefit of a bike but all the risks, but I just treat them as I would everyone else. Keep an eye on them using my mirrors and try not to hit anything.

TBH if people on the road can't handle a bike not filtering then it's their tuff, not the riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

it wasnt a black dragstar, with grey flames on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wasn't really giving out about him. It's just his driving was...unexpected, and that can have bad results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

bp wrote: »
    it wasnt a black dragstar, with grey flames on it?

I didn't pay too much attention to the bike itself, but it was that style of bike alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Maybe we was a weekend warrior caught out midweek? I see some bikers like this and give them distance until I can filter past them safely. The worst are the people who postion as if to filter but only move with the cars despite being between the lanes. it means that they're driving along the side of a car in the blindspot instead of in the middle where drivers might actually see you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Maybe there was something wrong with the bike, hence the lack of power/speed, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OP, I have started taking this approach to driving in traffic as well, but not 20k's below the speed limit.

Some bikes are hard to filter with , my current ride is a nightmare in heavy traffic so its easier just to go with the flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

if i can filter on my tractor then you should be able to on yours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I hit my fuel reserve coming down from Dundalk on M1 a while back, was short shifting and low speeding all the way to nearest fuel stop. Felt like a big sore thumb on the road. Don't think I was dangerously slow, would be like 100kph in 120kph zone in left lane, not overtaking lane. And once in the city most things where moving very slow anyway.

As for filtering, well I'll do it most times but some times I just don't want to give it the concentration it deserves and so stay in the traffic. I believe this is a perfectly safe way to ride so long as you occupy your piece of road and keep up with traffic. Filtering is optional and definitely carries the greater risk.

I have also seen cars in front of me move to the left, but not passed them. They tend to get the message after a minute or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

He drove at 40 in a 60 zone, accelerated from traffic lights at a snails pace, didn't filter traffic, and didn't overtake on a wide open road.
    I ride like this a bit, but then I've only just started filtering, and my bike doesn't go much above 60mph - so overtaking is hardwork. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I have also seen cars in front of me move to the left, but not passed them. They tend to get the message after a minute or two.

Maybe you're following too close. If you don't intend to overtake, stay well back. Something my instructor pulled me up on a few years ago, you might think a driver is being considerate but actually you are too close to them and they'd rather you p***ed or got off the pot :)

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A few times I've seen BMW C5s ridden as if they were cars, totally obvious the pilot is a cager at heart :) bad positioning, holding up other bikes trying to filter, no use of signals or mirrors...

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Maybe you're following too close. If you don't intend to overtake, stay well back. Something my instructor pulled me up on a few years ago, you might think a driver is being considerate but actually you are too close to them and they'd rather you p***ed or got off the pot :)

I'm sure that's been true in a few cases, but to be fair I have seen cars that as soon as they see a bike as the next vehicle behind them they move over. Sometimes I'll speed up and pass other times I'll stay where I am.

I like to think at least that I don't ride up the backside of vehicles in front. I leave that to the white vans and the 4x4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well, this morning, I saw a motorcyclist wearing a fleece, a pair of shorts and flip-flops! He was on some sort of Dragstar... Idiot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

seen a guy today on a fireblade with just t-shirt,shorts and helmet on:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah have to agree with Steffano and Lord lucan, i have seen one or two idiots on bikes in the last few days wearing shorts and t-shirt......god help them if they were to come off..........:eek:

Don't think i could feel safe wearing clothes like that on a bike, i know a pair of jeans aren't much better but im never without my jacket, boots and gloves and of course my lid

Any back on topic, maybe the guy/girl was a bit nervous filtering i know i was when i first started only 3 months ago, i could never see myself doing it. But know i don't know where i would be without it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

lord lucan wrote: »
    seen a guy today on a fireblade with just t-shirt,shorts and helmet on:eek::eek:

Just back form spain...seen a guy in shorts doing about 150kmph on an R1

paulieeye wrote: »
    Just back form spain...seen a guy in shorts doing about 150kmph on an R1

I know the roads are smooth on the continent but he is up for some serious road rash if that goes wrong. Doesn't bare thinking about. Hope they have a fat family member who can offer up the skin grafts cause he'll be running low after a fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've been living in Munich for nearly a year and I'm really surprised at the complete disregard the majority of bikers have here towards their own safety by wearing little or no protection.

On Sunday I was out for a walk and it was seriously hot (29c), so I seen a few bikes around. I seen a guy on an new R1 wearing his lid , shorts , sleeveless t-shirt and flip-flops, but on his hands he was wearing gloves. Now not strange you might think but they were gardening gloves the type you buy in garden centres !!! :confused:

I really don't understand this as there are some great clothes stores for bikers. I have some nice summer gear that gives great protection but you don't even notice you're wearing it.

Advertisement