Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Hardware Refresh Possible/Worthwhile ?

Options
  • 29-05-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So I have had broadband with Eircom for around 4+ years now. I have the Netopia 3341 DSL modem, and I connect this to a Belkin 54g Wireless Router (Model: F5D7230) via ethernet to provide wireless around the house.

I am just wondering:
    1. Is it possible to replace the Eircom provided Netopia modem?
    2. If yes, what would you recommend to replace it with?
    3. Any suggestions also for a new wireless router ? I was considering the D-Link DIR 655.
    I am looking to set-up some fixed ethernet connections for HTPC/extenders/etc. so want to have a gigabyte set-up, and also the best wireless set-up I can also.

Appreciate your advice on what's possible, and what's worthwhile as I am a somewhat of a novice in this area. Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Why now just replace both devices with a combined modem & wireless router - would be cheaper to buy one of these rather than 2 separate devices. Cheaper on the electricity bills too as you are only running one device.

Can't recommend any gigabit capable devices as I don't use them but I'm sure others can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Why now just replace both devices with a combined modem & wireless router - would be cheaper to buy one of these rather than 2 separate devices. Cheaper on the electricity bills too as you are only running one device.

Can't recommend any gigabit capable devices as I don't use them but I'm sure others can

I didn't know you could get combined. So from a quick search something like the D-Link DSL-2740B would possibly do the job ?

Can anyone confirm 100% I can replace the Eircom Netopia modem with no issues.

Also suggestions on replacement hardware appreciated - is the D-Link 2740B the one ?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I didn't know you could get combined. So from a quick search something like the D-Link DSL-2740B would possibly do the job ?

Can anyone confirm 100% I can replace the Eircom Netopia modem with no issues.

Also suggestions on replacement hardware appreciated - is the D-Link 2740B the one ?

Thanks !

Yes you can ,i Never used eircom modem i use Netgear DG834G with 3MB eircom for the last 3 years ,no issues what so ever , i would suggest you wait for few months and get the latest wirless N final draft which boost the speed 10X between Netgear and your computer . already on sale in USA

RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER WNDR3300

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/WNDR3300.aspx
    cheers

kamin99 wrote: »
    Yes you can ,i Never used eircom modem i use Netgear DG834G with 3MB eircom for the last 3 years ,no issues what so ever , i would suggest you wait for few months and get the latest wirless N final draft which boost the speed 10X between Netgear and your computer . already on sale in USA

RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER WNDR3300

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/WNDR3300.aspx
    cheers

Komplett shows stock due in next week of the WNDR3300 but it does not have gigabyte ethernet, which I want at this point. Also some reviews don't seem overly positive.

From some further reading it would seem the D-Link 2740B also does not have gigabyte ethernet. :(

So looking like I am heading back to the D-Link DIR 655.

Anyone else got any suggestions ?

Any other advice or guidance before I go for the D-Link ?

Thanks !

• Advertisement
Advertisement