Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle Bag

Options
  • 29-05-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

So, the seatpost bag I have is far to small to carry a W200's worth of gear in -what do you reccommend as the best one to get to hold:

Spare Tube, CO2 bottle and inflator head thingy, multi-tool, phone, keys, etc etc etc... basically, I need a big ass bag -what's the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You could fit all that in your back pockets...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I agree with Morgan. My rule of thumb is that if doesn't fit in your jersey pockets, you are carrying too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I got one of those cheapo BikeMate bike bags that fit under the crossbar in Aldi a few weeks back.

I've filled it with spare tube, bottle of PitStop, CO2 inflator and spare cartridge, multi-tool and tyre levers and there's room left for my phone and keys (with probably a bit of room to spare).

Last time I was in Aldi there was still some bike gear for sale. There might be some of these left. They're not the prettiest things in the world but, hey, you can't have everything !!

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    I agree with Morgan. My rule of thumb is that if doesn't fit in your jersey pockets, you are carrying too much.

I'm just not a fan of having things in my pockets, I find it pretty uncomfortable really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

cycleways might have a big specialized saddle bag. I picked up the last one off the shelf the other day but they might have some more in the stores. It has two compartments. easily fit 2 tubes in bottom compartment with plenty of room to spare. top compartment is a bit smaller but has a pouch for tyre levers, multi-tool and I also have a couple of spanners / allen keys / screwdriver / keys in there. It's a bit of a monster but you easily fit everything into it. It was €20 I think.

If not they had plenty medium sized ones of the same type on the shelf. Medium should be big enough, the large is a bit overkill tbh but I don't race so I don't mind and it keeps my pockets empty.

saddlebxb2.jpg

saddlebag2fp1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wear a bum bag, spare tube, multi tool kit, CO2 inflater and cartridge, keys and mobile, in mine

fig rolls and bananas in jersey back pockets

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Lads as a matter of interest anyone know of a bag you can put on the top bar,up near the handlebar stem?,i know they exist,but where?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

here

overkill for the w200 though, i would have thought.

i have this bag and i'm quite pleased with it. it roll up to close it so it's only really as big as the things you put in it, and it can hold a fair amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

ive got one of these
    I can get two small mini-tools in it as well as two tubes and a repair kit in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Lads as a matter of interest anyone know of a bag you can put on the top bar,up near the handlebar stem?,i know they exist,but where?.

Here's one:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=170&idproduct=21707

People will mistake you for a triathlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I had a BBB bag on the seatpost for last 2 years. The collar that went around the post was made of hard plastic. A couple of weeks ago cycling along on way home from work the seat post snapped (Ritchie seat post). When we examined it in shop the area where the bag attached was worn very thin compared to the thickness at the bottom of the seat post. This is precisely where it snapped. The bike is in use every day over bumpy roads so we presume it wore it away over time. If going for a seat post attached bag i would try and get a soft rubber/plastic or velcro collar and take it off periodically to examine for wear..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I've also experienced the wear on the seat post from a traditional style bag. More from off-road than on-road.

Fizik do this I.C.S. thing that is fancy for "a clip" that is part of the saddle. Then you buy a fizik saddle bag and it hangs from the clip (and clip alone) as illustrated here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23376

I'd be worried about the clip breaking from off-road use. My Dad has not had trouble with his on-road. Altura also have a contact-less option:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=187&idproduct=20895

Seems more important now with the popularity of carbon. It is definitely the hard plastic clips and not the soft velcro straps ones that mess the Alu posts up, pain in the but. I guess anything would scuff the finish of a carbon post (or anodised alu for that matter ...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You'll see a few with small rucksacks. I did the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

irish-stew wrote: »
    wear a bum bag, spare tube, multi tool kit, CO2 inflater and cartridge, keys and mobile, in mine
    I have a bum bag. I also have a top tube pack (can't find pic) for some bars/gels [ah, like Morgan said: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=170&idproduct=21707)

Advertisement