Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPV Update

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Careful, I was told the Classic don't run with the blank filter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

gaugevl6.th.jpg

Water-filled gauge 'n all!

'nuff said so.

Glycerin filled. Uploading (admitedly terrible) movie to youtube now.

The story here is my OPV modded Classic is running at 11 bar.

If you look at the graph http://www.ulka.it/eng/e5_gra.htm

That's kind within the margin of error for my flow rate calculations - but right at the top.

So more adjusting to do.

This also means - stock my machine was running at 13-14bar instead of the 12 I previously thought.

• Advertisement

The gauge effectively blanked it, did it not? Did the water just flow back on the return?

Yes. Same as with a blank disc except you get a read out.

Right reduced it down. Its about 8.75 now. Gonna run a shot and see how it fairs.

*f5*
    *f5*
    *f5*

I'll do my best but these videos take time for youtube to process.

• Advertisement

What was the coffee like?

Oh Dear God!!! Its ****ing Amazing!!!

First video (with the gauge).

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Oh Dear God!!! Its ****ing Amazing!!!

I'll be carrying this adjustment out myself so. I did reduce it down last year but had no way of measuring the output. I can put my hands on a gauge handy enough.

Did that spout just screw off?

The spout screwed off with great difficulty. Had to use a strap wrench.

I assume you got it back on ok then?

Haven't done that yet, but it won't be a problem. I'll put it that way. I used a strap wrench cause I was afraid of scratching the chrome.

Final comments: brought it back up from 8.75 to 9 on the dot.

The mouthfeel of the coffee has changed substantially. Its gotten quite a bit thicker, gloopier etc. Seems to be about the same amount of crema.

I am detecting more bitterness though. This may just be the particular beans I'm using at the moment. But certainly from the same batch of beans I was using earlier the coffee now feels thicker, is overall a bit richer, but maybe a bit more bitter on the aftertaste.

That shot looked good. I really like that basket. I wouldn't have thought the bitterness would have anything to do with the mod.

Thanks for the report. I'll be adjusting my OPV over the next couple of weeks, I'll start get the fixings together. I'll stick a video in here when I do it. I got those latte cups today, haven't opened the box yet though. Can you let me know if you see those glass cups anywhere, I'd like to pick up a couple.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen them for sale in any bricks and morter place.

The thing about the bitterness in the aftertaste - i'm 100% sure I didn't notice it earlier today with the same beans. It is possible that this is a true reflection of the beans, and the high pressure was masking it.

Very true, could be that. I'll watch it when I do my mod.

I'll check the stickies again for the shot glasses, hadn't seen them anywhere I was browsing recently though.

Do you know what that spout thread size is?

1/4" i think - let me check I bought 1/4" and 3/8" pieces

2 secs...

no its 3/8" my gauge is 1/4"

Thanks for that.

make sure you use plenty of PTFE tape

Will do. It'll probably be a few days before I get time to do this. I'll let you know though.

Found the shot glasses on a couple of sites.

Kitchendresser.ie has them, they're near €20 for 2, a bit steep. It's a good site though, I've used them before.

Amazon won't ship them to Ireland for some reason?

I'll keep searching.

Right.

Took the machine apart and tried to expose the OPV. First problem, I'd over tightened the OPV housing the last time I was at it and strugglefd to get it open. Got it eventually.

Put the gauge and the reducers together and went to the machine with it. Second snag, the friggin gauge with the reducers were too long to fit into the machine housing - disaster.

The last time I carried out the mod I hadn't got a blank filter so I got it out of the press and used it for the mod. I didn't measure it before adjusting but I wasn't too far out after the last adjustment. Still, I went to far with the OPV first, I adjusted it back until I'd a flow of 130ml in 30 seconds which is 260ml in 1 minute which according to the graph is 9Barg.

After each OPV adjustment I tool the blank out and primed the pump so all factors would be equal.

Happy enough. I'm off to tidy up and pour myself a coffee :)

• Advertisement

Not sure if I follow. Did you actually get to measure the pressure using the gauge?

Advertisement