Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPV Update

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No. The reducers left it too long to fit into the housing.

I measured the flow using the blank until I had 260ml in 1min which, according to the graph is 9Barg. I didn't have the blank the last time I made the adjustment, so better than nothing.

I will see if I can lay my hands on an elbow so the gauge will fit into the housing.

This is the gauge and reducers that were too long for the machine housing:

misl015gj0.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

That's a long aul arm alright. Even with the drip tray out it doesn't fit?

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    That's a long aul arm alright. Even with the drip tray out it doesn't fit?

No it wouldn't fit. The base of the machine under the drip tray obstructed it.

Happy enough with the flow rate though.

I was happy with the flow rate until I realised the margin of error on the graphs is enormous.
    I was still at 11bar with the flow rate measured.

Hrmm.

Have to get that elbow or some new fittings so.

• Advertisement

You are more than welcome to borrow my gauge and / or arm. Maybe not so practical as you are in louth (?). But the offer is there.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    You are more than welcome to borrow my gauge and / or arm. Maybe not so practical as you are in louth (?). But the offer is there.

Thanks for the very kind offer. I'll have a look at what I have available. I may take you up on that though.

Well the flow rate against the pressure was out.

It was running at 10Barg, I've now adjusted it down to 8.75Barg and am very happy with the results. It's resulted in the espresso having a more syrup like texture. The crema is also thicker. I can also pick up a slightly smokie aftertaste too now, I hadn't noticed that in this bean before, perhaps because the extraction process is running at the lower pressure and the flavours are enhanced or more detectable? Time for another.

Thanks to RE*AC*TOR for the loan of his gauge :)

I found the lower pressure highlighted the flaws in my roasting process.

I was doing iRoast roasts in around 9 mins at the time. Think this was scorching the outside of the bean, resulting in a bitter taste, when I stretched out the roast it improved.

Try a bit of temp surfing also. It's just as important as the right pressure.

The jist of it:
    Listen for the super-heated water flashing to steam, once that stops you have a defined temperature. Then say count to 4 seconds from that point, lock in the portafilter and brew.

Experiment with the flush time till you get something you like.

Advertisement