Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I wonder how prevalent bluescreens are, have you had one ?

• 29-05-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Ever had a bluescreen ?

Ever had a bluescreen ? 50 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    88% 44 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    12% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

my laptop gives me a blue screen every 100 starts or so.

simply reboot and its fine.

not nice though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In XP, probably under 20 times.

A lot more often in my 98 days, but tbh they weren't as bad as they're made out to be. Usually you'd just be trying to do too much at once or running a corrupt program or something, and you'd just hit enter a few times and eventually get back to where you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

few times on XP before, usually a hw issue.

my vista business had a couple related to hibernation...none since I moved to x64 ultimate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

One on Vista, and its due to my usb key not being compatable with itunes! No joke, it blue screened when putting in the usb stick and itunes was running, close itunes, alls ok :) Its a freebie usb so I'm not complaining, thats honestly the only problem I've had with Vista blue screening and it was down to apple software...

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Windows 3.11 used to crash every few hours, a reboot or two during a working day wasn't unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Windows 98..... nuff said.

Usually dies after 2 hours. Sometimes after 10 minutes.

Never bluescreened XP professional on my old Laptop.
    And I absolutely bollicked it to bits once trying to scavange disk space...deleted a few things I shouldn't.... it kept on going to the bitter end, even though it was horribly crippled, barely runnable, and svchost.exe would always balloon to suck up the entirety of the RAM and grind it into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I must have had thousands of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Answer based on having run Win 98SE, XP Home and now Vista Business:

Due to Microsoft's fault?
    None

Due to my own fault through an inquisitive nature/stupidity?
    Less than 4

So I voted for none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Loads back in the 9x days, very few on XP and none whatsoever on Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Try installing the previous build of Alcohol 120% on Vista Ultimate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only a handful, including the Win95/98 days, maybe one was random and I couldn't trace it, the rest faulty ram or something else logical.

It's a bit of a strange Poll, I think you'll find pretty much no-one has never had at least one blue screen and even the smuggest mac user will probably admit to having at least one or two issues with their respective OS at some stage, should have had it at options like 'never' 'Very rarely' 'Sometimes' 'frequently' 'all the time' etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

All the time on NT - fair few on my vista lappy too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I went with no. I definitely haven't had one on my Vista laptop, and if my memory serves haven't had one on our XP pc either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Ahhh, computers love me. Older 98/XP loved giving me the good old blue, and the current laptop went through a nasty phase too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I've had plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Under XP: I lost count.

Under Vista: maybe 3. Not more.

Now when you think about how many System Restore operations you've performed:

XP: dozens of restore points recalled. Too stupid back then to reformat.
    Vista: 2/3 restore points recalled. 2 System Reformats for disk cleanup reasons (I'm a puritan these days with my fancy external drives; when I need space I take what I want and nuke the bastard :D) as well as some errors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Courtesy of XP SP3. It seems to be quite a common occurrence based on what I found when googling the symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

none under 7 yet.

Advertisement