Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My solution to everyones pet hate

Options
  • 29-05-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

I've read a lot of threads on here about people complaining on motorists driving well under the speed limit on primary roads and not giving other motorists good oppertunity to overtake them..

What if, from the centre line in the road, there was another smaller line offset (1.5m) from the centre on both sides of the road and cars have to keep inside this line at all times unless overtaking..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Do you also intend to widen every road in the country by 3m too? (To allow these lines to be painted on each side of the road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Do you also intend to widen every road in the country by 3m too? (To allow these lines to be painted on each side of the road)

Most primary routes would have a lane width of 3 to 3.25 to 3.5 metres.

I'm sure a ratio to road lane width could be made up smart arse - it was the general idea that I was putting across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Ronanom wrote: »
    I'm sure a ratio to road lane width could be made up smart arse - it was the general idea that I was putting across.
    New ideas are always welcome. Also let's consider having smaller (narrower) cars that would make more efficient use of the limited space available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You sir seem to be under the mistaken notion that this board is solely inhabited by decent drivers who can think outside their own selfish world.

Obviously not the case.

Nice idea by the way. It'll be opposed by all the high-horse "I pay me taxes like everyone else so I'll drive as I like and f**k everyone else" brigade.

Just wait and see! :pac:

maoleary wrote: »
    You sir seem to be under the mistaken notion that this board is solely inhabited by decent drivers who can think outside their own selfish world.

Obviously not the case.

Nice idea by the way. It'll be opposed by all the high-horse "I pay me taxes like everyone else so I'll drive as I like and f**k everyone else" brigade.

Just wait and see! :pac:

Well I think it's a good idea but i might be biased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ha. :D
    I see drivers nearly every day that find it hard enough to stay on their own side of the road as it is never mind taking another 1.5 meters off them.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Good idea,anything that keeps cars apart should lead to safer driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Good idea, but since you are supposed to drive on the left of centre of your lane anyway all you're doing is putting a line to show people what to do.

And since one of the biggest rant is about people hogging the overtaking lane, they'll all drive in here:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Staying more towards the centre can give a better line of vision plus it keeps cars away from areas where you are likely to find pedestains/cyclists/animals/etc.
    What you help improve the overtaking situation would be if the majority of idiot drivers in this country took their head out of their bums, used their mirrors and had an element of courtesy towards other drivers.

kbannon wrote: »
    Staying more towards the centre can give a better line of vision plus it keeps cars away from areas where you are likely to find pedestains/cyclists/animals/etc.
    What you help improve the overtaking situation would be if the majority of idiot drivers in this country took their head out of their bums, used their mirrors and had an element of courtesy towards other drivers.

Well I agree with your points on better line of vision and away from cyclists but maybe the lines could be used on primary routes such as sections of the N6 that I drive some weekends...

And the lines themselves could be limited to sections where there is a good line of sight ahead and probably a decent and safe place to overtake...

Penalty points could be drafted into it where drivers refuse to obey them..

Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Well I agree with your points on better line of vision and away from cyclists but maybe the lines could be used on primary routes such as sections of the N6 that I drive some weekends...

And the lines themselves could be limited to sections where there is a good line of sight ahead and probably a decent and safe place to overtake...

Penalty points could be drafted into it where drivers refuse to obey them..

Just a thought

Alternating 2+1 lanes would be a much better and much clearer solution to this problem on primary routes. People are already supposed to drive well over to the left anyway and I can only see these markings causing additional confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the lines themselves could be limited to sections where there is a good line of sight ahead and probably a decent and safe place to overtake...
    But there would be no need for them in those places. :confused:

javaboy wrote: »
    Alternating 2+1 lanes would be a much better and much clearer solution to this problem on primary routes. People are already supposed to drive well over to the left anyway and I can only see these markings causing additional confusion.

Agreed but that would cost a small fortune and take a long time to implement, no?

But there would be no need for them in those places. :confused:

I find that these are the busy roads that would need something like this the most. Often I see on the way home to galway on a weeken, no car's going in the opposite direction to me for ages....then all of a sudden you get a line of maybe 20 cars or more all being kept back by the first driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Agreed but that would cost a small fortune and take a long time to implement, no?

Maybe so but I'd rather they did the right thing slowly and expensively than just put in another half measure. There are some trial 2+1 roads in place in Ireland at the moment and they will more than likely be putting in more.

I think the addition of more lines on the road when a lot of drivers can't understand the simple system of lines we have now would just cause confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lol,

as if our county councils would implement such a move..

they would be hard pressed to fill pot holes let alone put extra lines on thousands of ks of (****ty) road.

the only solution is to encourage crappy drivers to use a bicycle, they would get where they are going faster that way.

or to ban cars like hyundai accents, which in my independent research makes up about 75% of said crappy drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The real solution is not to paint even more lines on roads. Instead, it is to ban people who drive at 20k below the limit and those who drive at or 20k over the limit. Also ban those who hog the middle lane, women drivers, people pulling horseboxes, boy racers, elderly drivers. Take the licences away from people who drive large expensive cars and SUVs, and take all trucks with a GVW greater than 1 kg off the roads. Then I will have the roads to myself and a few cyclists, which is an excellent arrangement since I will then have unrestricted opportunities to run over the cyclists:D

ART6 wrote: »
    The real solution is not to paint even more lines on roads. Instead, it is to ban people who drive at 20k below the limit and those who drive at or 20k over the limit. Also ban those who hog the middle lane, women drivers, people pulling horseboxes, boy racers, elderly drivers. Take the licences away from people who drive large expensive cars and SUVs, and take all trucks with a GVW greater than 1 kg off the roads. Then I will have the roads to myself and a few cyclists, which is an excellent arrangement since I will then have unrestricted opportunities to run over the cyclists:D

Another researched proposed solution is to remove all signs inclduing stop, yield speed etc.

Statistically it would reduce road accidents.

Wiki: Risk Compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Another researched proposed solution is to remove all signs inclduing stop, yield speed etc.

Oddly enough you might be right. I believe there is some statistical evidence to show that when signs and traffic lights etc are removed the accident rate often comes down -- and no, I can't point to specific reports. But I have noticed that when the traffic lights in Waterford are faulty, traffic seems to flow much better. Maybe people then use their brains and their eyes instead of slavishly following the orders of mechanical devices?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

javaboy wrote: »
    Maybe so but I'd rather they did the right thing slowly and expensively than just put in another half measure. There are some trial 2+1 roads in place in Ireland at the moment and they will more than likely be putting in more.

I read somewhere recently (maybe on the NRA site) that there are plans to roll these out on a much larger scale.
    I think they're a great idea and are badly needed.

LOL - I like your thinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ban people who drive at 20k below the limit
    You'd want to put a little bit of more thought into that. Some vehicles are limited to 45/65/80kph regardless of what the posted speed limit above that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

how's this for a concept: save all the millions, the white paint, the confusion, the committees to plan it and the tribunals to investigate for 15 years thereafter..................just enforce the existing Rules of The Road, and Road Traffic Act.

Nothing needed - just add water, sorry, Gardai.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

galwaytt wrote: »
    how's this for a concept: save all the millions, the white paint, the confusion, the committees to plan it and the tribunals to investigate for 15 years thereafter..................just enforce the existing Rules of The Road, and Road Traffic Act.

Nothing needed - just add water, sorry, Gardai.......
    +1

Well said.

*I'd thank you but I've run out of thanks - fuppin rationing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

This has been done in several towns around the world, with surprising results. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

When they turn off the traffic lights in Limerick city (sometimes after big matches and stuff) everything moves so much faster. And what are they doing? Adding more traffic lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

My pet hate is that even when you are on the speed limit yourself, you still have pricks tight up your backside 2 inches from your bumper.

Regarding the slow drivers, that is an annoyance. I was driving along yesterday morning and this guy pulled out in front of me and proceeded to drive between 40 and 45mph for about 7 miles. Unforunately there was no place to get past on the road so I was just stuck behind him. I can see how that can cause accidents. People get frustrated at being stuck behind the slow drivers then take stupid risks to pass them and end up in an accident.

Unless I'm sure I can get past in time, I usually just hold off as I'm rarely in that much of a hurry that passing them out is necessary. Most of the time anyway you don't actually get to where you are going any faster. Ever notice how some prick speeds past you dangerously and disappears up the road ahead of you but by the next set of traffic lights, you are right up behind them?

Advertisement